User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 08:37 AM   #16
OurBC
Live to Travel

Oddometer: 352
Bugs

One advantage to motels and hotels vs camping is the amount of bugs you have to deal with especially during prime time. Would you rather be watching something on TV or holed up in a tent avoiding mother nature.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:13 AM   #17
ThumperGuy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurBC View Post
One advantage to motels and hotels vs camping is the amount of bugs you have to deal with especially during prime time. Would you rather be watching something on TV or holed up in a tent avoiding mother nature.
i would rather be doing anything other than watching something on TV, especially while travelling to see stuff.

Northmanni populus fatigo mihi
ThumperGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #18
hewhohesit8s
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
one vote for motels

I've been going on August road trips for 5 years now and the number of nights I spend camping has decreased from 10 (of 30) the first year to 2 (of 28) this year and I'm not sure i'll even take the camping gear next year. I don't mind riding in the rain, but dislike setting up and tearing down in the rain. I usually live blog the trips so motels are more convenient for that too. As long as you start looking for a place a few hours before sunset, you can always find a town with an available room. (I hate to drive between dusk and dawn).

Like others have said there is not a big price difference between camping and moteling. Plus, for me, it's more about the riding and the talking about the ride than camping (and the bugs that that entails).

I'm willing to admit that my preference for motels gets stronger the older I get.
'10 KTM 530EXC
'04 HD 1200C
hewhohesit8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:45 PM   #19
bungie4
Frostback

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZR_Ron View Post
Old Fart at Play, Backroader, and I have hauled camping gear all over the country...and often laughed about how it has been used maybe twice over the years!
A couple of years ago 2 buddies and myself rode 16Km over 3 weeks. Ontario to BC to NM To AL to ON. We all brought our camping gear but we never used it once. The one time we were going to use it was on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, theirs a little place called Jacob Lake that we had reservations at. Got there only to find we DIDN'T have reservations.

When asked if their were any campgrounds close by the clerk says "Ya, but you don't want to stay there. They have a bit of a tarantula problem". Right, back across the desert to the Comfort Inn in Kanab UT! LOL!

Regardless, the 3 of us would split a double with a cot and it was usually WAY cheaper than camping.

2013 FJR1300, 2004 FJR1300, 2013 CRF250L
I have a job, I explore, I follow every little whiff.
On/Offroad help when you need it - http://www.assistancelist.com
bungie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:02 PM   #20
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
If you root out the little municipal campgrounds that seem to be common in various places in Canada, you're in for a treat. They are generally clean, have hot showers, and in my experience are nicely set up.
Good advice for travelers in the States, too. One of the nicest campgrounds I've stayed at was a county campground in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Free showers, electrical hookups, and nearly completely empty. Not the kind of place I'd be looking for if I were backpacking, but perfect after a long day on a bike.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:33 PM   #21
dukedinner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
When I travel to more remote places on my dual-sport bike, I tend to camp more than motel. But when I ride slab for long distances across country on my road bike I camp about 1/2 the time and motel it 1/2 the time depending on weather and how I feel. Its nice to have the flexibility to do either though
dukedinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #22
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,662
I find I don't loose things when camping. Hotelling I leave things behind... could just be me.

Food.

Minimal cooking =
Both camping and hotelling - before you stop for the night - eat or get food. See some place on the way, stop. That can eliminate cooking. For breakfast you can have some muisel bars, bit of orange juice? and be on your way, if still hungry stop at some eatery.
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:18 PM   #23
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,565
One motel is just like another. Lie on the bed watching tv

Camping gets you out into the environment you came to see

That being said, I run for cover when it's raining...suppose I'm getting soft

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:50 PM   #24
ScramblerTom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
not many have discussed food so i will forego my opinions on lodging.

i pack a lot of dense calories in my side cases - like Clif Builder's bars. At Costco a box of 20 is $18 and I use them to keep me topped up. i tend to have a stove with instant oatmeal for when I get cold or wet. i then stop for a major meal once and maybe twice a day (rarely). I don't get hungry riding however and eat just because I know i should. Off Road is different - then I eat to keep from getting the shakes after picking the bike up...

i avoid things like instant noodles - the flavouring is salty and the artificial flavours get burped up for hours when hunched over the bars. I tend to stick to bland foods. i also stopped bring tea and coffee to make on the side on the road. more trouble than it was worth.

For me the perfect day is oatmeal at 6am n the road with some power bars until mid afternoon and stopping for a big burger or steak, then ride for a few more hours - depending on company I might just skip dinner and reach for a few beers.... that then makes the 6am start a little more difficult but...

Another great meal is grilled cheese on a camp fire... very luxurious,but i usually only go in for this after 2 too many pops- its helps soak up the juice!
-> SOLD then bought a 2009 DRZ 400 - on the weight loss plan
2006 Piaggio BV 250
1986 XT 600
traded for a Jet Ski!! taking up wakeboarding... was not riding it anyway
ScramblerTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:22 PM   #25
TOTim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
I rode across Canada this summer and was gone a month. I think I camped 10 nights in total. I enjoyed it but in hindsight I would not have taken all the gear needed and just stayed in motels. As others have said camping is $$ in many places and sometimes the places are terrible. I find as well that there are very few tent people around. Many trailers and RVs.
For me the biggest issue was all the stuff that I had to carry.
I had 2 panniers, a 65L bag and a 55L bag. The weight wasn't much but the volume was. Without camping just my 2 panniers would have been plenty.
Lastly, camping in the rain sucks.
TOTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:59 PM   #26
africa twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
my 2c

I did the exact trip two years ago, Toronto to Inuvik in August with a few side trips. I camped about 50% of the time. As I got closer I found I camped more often. My favourite campground was right at the beginning of the Dempster (south end). It was one of those honour system campgrounds and very cheap approx $12. No showers but a nice river runs right thru the campground its a little chilly but really refreshing after a long day in the saddle. If I had to do it again I would probably camp more and motel less. There were only two times on the trip that I really wished I didn't have the weight of the camping gear with me. Once was on a dirt road near a town called opportunity number 17 the road was very soft sand and the additional weight was noticeable. The other time was when I saw a really rocky single track trail running along a ridge parallel to the road I was on if I'd had a lighter load I probably would have run up there for a look.
africa twin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:13 PM   #27
BTL
Summer 2 short.

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warin View Post
I find I don't loose things when camping. Hotelling I leave things behind... could just be me.

Food.

Minimal cooking =
Both camping and hotelling - before you stop for the night - eat or get food. See some place on the way, stop. That can eliminate cooking. For breakfast you can have some muisel bars, bit of orange juice? and be on your way, if still hungry stop at some eatery.
Really!! On 5th fricken Iphone charger left in Hotel/Motels

However, camping I get all my stuff. Also, I find I meet the nicest folks camping. Weather, can be the real deal breaker for some on the camping scene but I love the sound of rain drops on the tent.
BTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:56 PM   #28
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 619
Bit of both

I like to have a campfire sometimes, which is generally frowned upon in a hotel room, but when the weather sucks, it sure is great to be looking out on the rain from a hotel room, and maybe catching up with wi-fi, etc. Bit of both I think. I also prefer to cook my own food, so that favours camping. It also save a LOT of money, and allows me to eat healthily. I think it is what you are comfortable with. I just took the bike camping last weekend instead of my truck and camper because I wanted to be in a tent. Admittedly, I also knew it wasn't going to rain.
As others have said, there are some places to camp that have made my trips; waking up early and sipping coffee beside a creek or river, it truly doesn't get any better. I love the feeling of independence having all my camping gear brings with it.
Personally, I think that having a dual sport allows me to get to places where I don't think anyone is even gonna know if I camp out there, 'cept the bears, so just hang your food from a tree. There are lots of extremely cool places to camp free in BC, especially the north. That being said, staying with another inmate is probably a great way to get the lowdown on a place.
I say take the stuff, even if you use it only a few times. It's better than regretting not having it.
It'll be great either way.
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:54 PM   #29
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
One option I didn't see mentioned is "Bed and Breakfasts". Once when my brother and I were Biking around Glacier National Park we ended up staying at a B&B when all the motells in a hundred mile area were full. It was great! The room was setup like a hotel room with its own bathroom, TV ect. The breakfast was an excellent smorg with all the trimmings included in the room fee. the cost was less than what a motel would have charged for just the room. I would have no problem staying at one again!!
Regards...just jeff
just jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:50 AM   #30
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,590
My preference hands down camping

I'm not a fan of hotels during a road trip. I want to be immersed in the outdoors, and have had many unique and memorable experiences camping. Regarding meals, one thing I/we've done occasionally, is stop at a Subway before hitting a campground and buy a footlong sub... eat 1/2 there and the rest at camp. I don't like separating myself too much from the gear on the bike - I've never had anything stolen at a campground. One thing about camping I've noticed - I don't like to really plan everything out in detail, just kind of have a general idea of the route and possible campgrounds to overnight at... popular Provincial & National campgrounds are getting harder and harder to get in to last minute without a reservation. This is one reason why, for my annual trip to the Rockies this next year, I'm shifting to backcountry routes and camping (long overdue)... to get away from the tourists and change things up. Sucks camping in the rain, but a light overhead tarp can improve that experience too.