roundtripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:05 PM   #1397
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundtripping View Post
I managed to snag a Nexus 4 today, looking forward to trying out DSM on it
Cool. There is a Jelly Bean issue with the map select check boxes. Google has promised to fix it but as of 4.1 it was still broken. You check the box and nothing happens...it's sort of annoying

Your phone should have 4.2 and I'm curious if they fixed it yet.
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #1398
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
Cool. There is a Jelly Bean issue with the map select check boxes. Google has promised to fix it but as of 4.1 it was still broken. You check the box and nothing happens...it's sort of annoying

Your phone should have 4.2 and I'm curious if they fixed it yet.
I was looking into APRS and was thinking wouldn't it be cool to connect a radio and cell phone and have DSM's display received GPS positions sent over the radio.
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:18 PM   #1399
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

The app does have a location reporting system so that friends can show up on your map while you are riding (assuming you have network). They have to turn it on, on their phone and go to the website and add your user to the approved list, but it does work well after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doofenshmirtz View Post
I was looking into APRS and was thinking wouldn't it be cool to connect a radio and cell phone and have DSM's display received GPS positions sent over the radio.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:20 PM   #1400
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
The app does have a location reporting system so that friends can show up on your map while you are riding (assuming you have network). They have to turn it on, on their phone and go to the website and add your user to the approved list, but it does work well after that.
Yep i use that with the wife but during my last big ride we had several days without cell coverage.
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:21 PM   #1401
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doofenshmirtz View Post
Yep i use that with the wife but during my last big ride we had several days without cell coverage.
Then you are using the software as intended.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:09 PM   #1402
Escaped
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
Just set up the on my new Galaxy Note 2. Works great so far!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

DR650 - Eyes open all of the time
Escaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:14 AM   #1403
NHBill
Loosely Wrapped

Oddometer: 1,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaped View Post
Just set up the on my new Galaxy Note 2. Works great so far!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
How do you like the Note II so far? I have one on order from Verizon. Am thinking the larger screen will be great for using DSM! Love the app for navigating although I agree with Crafty, that the routing tool is way stronger in other apps, but where the app really shines is in the App/Website combination for planning and sharing routes and tracks. I was fortunate enough to help Beta test the app, I thought that it was pretty good back then. I can tell you that Crafty has done nothing but make it stronger and easier to use every step of the way! Looking forward to the larger screen and faster processor to make it even more "fun".

Considering the Defender Case by Otterbox for everyday use and a Ram mount for the bike. I currently use an X-mount for dry and warmer weather and a box for the cold wet days. Works pretty well for me. What set-up are you using?
"There's a very fine line dividing bravery from stupidity..."
2009 F650GS
NHBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:04 AM   #1404
Escaped
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
The Galaxy Note 2 is great so far - I have had it only one day so I just started using it. Its is very fast, screen is great and DSM seems to work with no problems. I used the MP3 player this morning and the audio quality was the best I have every used on a portable device - much better than my IPOD. I played a little with the S-Pen and that seems to have a lot of promiss. The voice control features are great. The phone is BIG and feels delicate so a good case is essential. I have the Otter Defender case and a Ionic GUARDIAN Case for Samsung Galaxy Note II on order. Unfortunately the cases were out of stock with ATT when I ordered the device, so until the cases come in I am using a generic leather case I have.

PS: The device even has a tool that adjust audio level (tones) for earplugs to your hearing level. The tool is a hearing test to evaluate your hearing level in each ear by tone and then compensates the sound spectrum to compensate for deficiencies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHBill View Post
How do you like the Note II so far? I have one on order from Verizon. Am thinking the larger screen will be great for using DSM! Love the app for navigating although I agree with Crafty, that the routing tool is way stronger in other apps, but where the app really shines is in the App/Website combination for planning and sharing routes and tracks. I was fortunate enough to help Beta test the app, I thought that it was pretty good back then. I can tell you that Crafty has done nothing but make it stronger and easier to use every step of the way! Looking forward to the larger screen and faster processor to make it even more "fun".

Considering the Defender Case by Otterbox for everyday use and a Ram mount for the bike. I currently use an X-mount for dry and warmer weather and a box for the cold wet days. Works pretty well for me. What set-up are you using?

DR650 - Eyes open all of the time

Escaped screwed with this post 11-14-2012 at 10:23 AM
Escaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:21 PM   #1405
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,114
Just wanted to say THANKS! again Crafty. I still use the DSM Android app as a backup to my Garmin 60CSx, but finally started doing some route planning on the website. It is by far, the easiest and most reliable to create and edit routes of the numerous methods I've tried so far (Basecamp, MapSource, Harley Trip Planner, Garmin Maps to KMZ).

Once I remembered how to filter tracks in Basecamp, loading them to the GPS went pretty easy too!
Old 11-15-2012, 04:11 PM   #1406
NickJensen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Problem with Web app dropping Tracks

First off, let me say I love this app! Plus I keep dreaming of the day when Crafty just sells the pieces to his remote so we can put it in whatever enclosure we can find! WE NEED THAT AWESOME TOY YESTERDAY!

Anyway, I volunteered to deliver Yellow Phone Books for my son's baseball team to raise some bucks. So I used DualSportMaps on my PC to lay down the streets that I needed to drive. Most tracks were just two points indicating the start and end of the street. However, I kept having tracks disappear. I tried reentering them and they'd show up as I moved about zooming in and out. But after some random amount of time, the ones that I RE-ADDED would disappear again.

When downloading to my phone the map also came down with those tracks dropped.

I only have about 25 tracks defined and they only use a few points per track. Haven't got a clue why some are getting dropped.

Maybe that is just what I rightfully get for trying to use this cool app for something unintended!

Thanks Crafty!

Nick Jensen - Login: NickJensen Troubled Map: Yellow Book Route
NickJensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:03 AM   #1407
NHBill
Loosely Wrapped

Dropped Route Sections

Nick, the only times that I have had dropped maps or sections of routes is when I haven't used a lot of waypoints to define the route.

Maybe Crafty can shed more light on it but as I understand the way the app/website interface works, if you auto download the maps along a route, but there are no waypoints on a particular map tile (the maps are not down loaded wholesale, they are downloaded in fairly small sections, "tiles") it won't pick up that particular tile. Conversely, if you manually download a map but there are no waypoints on the tiles you choose, it won't bring the route along with it. I'm not a code writer so I can't know if that is totally the issue, but it might be worth trying to add some more waypoints to a route and see if that changes the results when you download.

It really is a great app. Good luck!

For what it's worth, as long as I have defined a route, I use it for street nav all the time (or just to display my current location and the map of the area). But you're right, the routing function is fairly weak as that's not what Crafty intended it to be for. If I need to find directions from here to there by surface streets, I just fire up google maps and let-er-rip.
2009 F650GS
Old 11-21-2012, 05:04 AM   #1408
NHBill
Loosely Wrapped

Galaxy Note II

Hey Escaped, you still as happy with the new phone after having used it for a week?
2009 F650GS
Old 11-21-2012, 05:51 AM   #1409
NHBill
Loosely Wrapped

Question

Anybody else having trouble with the website this AM? I was going to mess with a route that a friend sent me but the page just loads to a blank screen...
2009 F650GS
Old 11-21-2012, 06:01 AM   #1410
GaM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHBill View Post
Anybody else having trouble with the website this AM? I was going to mess with a route that a friend sent me but the page just loads to a blank screen...

Yep, I think it was yesterday I got the blank screen. Still that way.
GaM is offline   Reply With Quote