Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 09:52 AM   #106
zackybilly1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumo64c View Post
+1 Makes those 600+ mile days a breeze on zee' Goldwing.
That's almost a half a day ride on a Wing. My personal best is 1,720 miles in 24 hours.

These are the pegs I use on my Wings. Living proof at how smooth the boxer 6 engine is.

I made these rear-sets as got used to and have always liked the feet under the butt position from riding sport bikes.

I back this rig up all the time and seldom use reverse. I use reverse more for backing down a hill as it regulates the speed and prevents the front tire from sliding in gravel when the brakes are applied. Trailer typically weighs 350-375 lbs loaded and there is a 7.8 gallon auxilary tank sitting on the pillion. I'm 5'10" and 175 lbs.

I try to stay up to speed on my Wing stuff.

...and bikes in general.

As crazy as I am about the Wings, like others, I think Honda made a grave mistake on the F6B by removing the cruise and not offer ABS on US models.

Z
zackybilly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #107
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 910
Nice stable, Zackybilly!!

I like the highway pegs on the engine. MUCHO better placement than on the engine guards imho. And I dig the additional sport pegs you put on there. The WIng is smooooth, but stock I don't like how the rider is kinda locked into place. You solved it with some nice style. Plus, it gets rid of some of that tupperwear and lets the engine out.

Much better look.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:34 PM   #108
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,377
That Suzuki in the pics is the first bike that made me stop and go OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Very nice garage!!

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:02 PM   #109
CGameProgrammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
Did that Goldwing fall over or did you purposely lay it on its side? ...on second thought it's probably not a coincidence that it's on that black mat, so I guess my question is why did you put it on its side? Easier maintenance?
CGameProgrammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:05 PM   #110
zackybilly1
Adventurer

It's easier to break the lugs and lay it on the crash bars to change the rear wheel with or without a trailer hitch. I haul a complete wheel with me in my trailer at all times. If I trash a rear tire, I can be back in action in about 15 minutes. I have a couple of buddies that ride around the country with me on Wings so its a good back up for any of us. I seem to go through alot of tires. The wheel I pulled off the bike that you mentioned is standing upright in front of the other Wing...kinda squared off after some coast to coast runs.

I'm currently running a Michelin Alpin Primacy Run-Flat car tire on the rear and a BattleAx rear tire on the front of my "long range bomber".

Z
Old 11-20-2012, 06:22 PM   #111
Podman
Rocketman

Oddometer: 244
As crazy as I am about the Wings, like others, I think Honda made a grave mistake on the F6B by removing the cruise and not offer ABS on US models.

Have to agree -think it was pretty stupid on their part.
Podman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:31 PM   #112
zackybilly1
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaklr View Post
That Suzuki in the pics is the first bike that made me stop and go OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Very nice garage!!
I bought that one brand new off the showroom floor March 1982, Restored it a couple of years ago...I have a second one that I picked up in Georgia.

Shop is still changing.

It added 432 more sq ft and will support 56,000 lbs. Hopefully will be hanging and wiring lights under the mezzanine during the Thanksgiving weekend.

Z
Old 11-20-2012, 06:45 PM   #113
CGameProgrammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
Well it's obvious they did it to keep the price at $20k but I certainly agree that removing ABS is a major step backward. I can understand why they'd consider cruise control to not be necessary on a less touring-oriented Goldwing.
CGameProgrammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:12 AM   #114
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

Oddometer: 925
Agreed....

.....The deletion of ABS is unforgivable. I, too, get the cruise and center stand delete, but ABS is absolutely necessary these days. i WILL NOT drop $20,000 on a BRAND NEW, MODERN motorcycle that does not have ABS.

If it had ABS, the F6B would be on my list. Without ABS, I won't even look at one.

I get it is expensive. I understand price targets, but if I'm already dropping $20,000, what's another $1,000 for ABS? Another grand is not a deal killer. NOT having ABS is a deal killer for me.

Great looking machine, though.

2004 Honda RC51

2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA replaced my '04 Wee 2-14
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:29 AM   #115
zackybilly1
Adventurer

The screwed up part about it is that the European and Cananadian models will have ABS. I still think that the absence of the cruise is a screw up. I like the bike but they've stacked the deck against themselves.

ABS is standard on the Honda SilverWing scooter but not an option in the US on the F6B. I think I'm going to set my sights on a 2013 FJR...cruise, traction control, variable mapping and ABS for $5K less.

Z
Old 11-21-2012, 08:17 AM   #116
NuckaMan
Space Available

Oddometer: 350
Is it some DOT testing or approval thing for companies not offering ABS models exclusively for the US, or is it because they know Merican's just have superior braking skills than the rest of the world and don't need it.

If anything, I would imagine it would be one less variant of a particular bike they would have to manage internally if they just offered ABS across all versions.

2012 Kawasaki Concours 14

2013 Triumph Bonneville
NuckaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #117
rider33
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by zackybilly1 View Post
I bought that one brand new off the showroom floor March 1982, Restored it a couple of years ago...I have a second one that I picked up in Georgia.

Shop is still changing.

It added 432 more sq ft and will support 56,000 lbs. Hopefully will be hanging and wiring lights under the mezzanine during the Thanksgiving weekend.

Z
That Sir is one hellofa nice garage. Add a good stereo and a well stocked beer frig and I doubt I'd ever be able to leave the place. 'Well done.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:14 AM   #118
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by rider33 View Post
That Sir is one hellofa nice garage. Add a good stereo and a well stocked beer frig and I doubt I'd ever be able to leave the place. 'Well done.
I'd include a stripper pole, but that's just my optimistic side talking.

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:51 AM   #119
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podman View Post

Have to agree -think it was pretty stupid on their part.

Opposite opinion here, I don't want ABS and a throttle lock is enough for me. I think they nailed the base bike and the upgraded bike is about perfect too.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #120
Sumo64c
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by zackybilly1 View Post
It's easier to break the lugs and lay it on the crash bars to change the rear wheel with or without a trailer hitch. I haul a complete wheel with me in my trailer at all times. If I trash a rear tire, I can be back in action in about 15 minutes. I have a couple of buddies that ride around the country with me on Wings so its a good back up for any of us. I seem to go through alot of tires. The wheel I pulled off the bike that you mentioned is standing upright in front of the other Wing...kinda squared off after some coast to coast runs.

I'm currently running a Michelin Alpin Primacy Run-Flat car tire on the rear and a BattleAx rear tire on the front of my "long range bomber".

Z
Holy dangerous living unsafe car tires batman!!!

Double dark disclaimer.....
Sumo64c is offline   Reply With Quote