User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-21-2012, 07:29 AM   #1
CompAcc OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Thumb Visiting Wheels Through Time in Maggie Valley (lotsa pics!)

It was a rather spontaneous trip. *Although I had been hoping to visit the folks at Wheels Through Time for quite a while, I hadn't actually put a plan in place. *That all changed on a Thursday afternoon when my riding buddy Andy gave me a call. *He had a tool for an injection mold that had to be dropped off for polishing at a shop up in the mountains, and asked if I might like to make a bike trip of it. *I was needing to head up that way to visit the museum, so I made a couple calls, and a plan was hatched!

I left my house at 5:30am Friday morning. *We knew we had a LOT of miles to cover, as well as visiting the tool shop and the museum, so sleep was not exactly a priority. *So in the dark and cold, I threw my leg over the ZRX and headed West to meet Andy at a gas station about an hour away.

After gassing up and grabbing some coffee to warm up, we continued West, burning some miles as the early morning sun burned away the morning fog. *We found ourselves heading up the Saluda Grade as the sun peeked through the trees. *Andy wore his Frogg Toggs Rain Suit over his leathers to stay warm.

That sun will reach us and warm us up soon!

The Saluda Grade was a steep mainline railway that crested in the town of Saluda, NC.

The sun comes up over the town of Saluda, NC

The old train station is now home to quaint little shops and cafe's. *The town was just waking up as we rode through.

From Saluda it was time to head further up into the mountains towards the tool shop so Andy could drop off his part.

With blue skies above and the sun shining, we headed further into the mountains. *A thick blanket of fog greeted us as we *dipped into a valley. *The fog was so thick we had to keep turning our heads to the sides to keep our visors clear. *A few turns up some back roads and we found the tool shop!

Unfortunately I snapped that picture and then threw the camera back in the tank bag. *I wish I would have brought it in because I got to see some really cool technology.

After a great tour through the shop, it was time to tear up some roads and head up towards Maggie Valley, NC!