Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 08:45 AM   #1
MagyarMan OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
Looking at a 2009 Ural Patrol---what should I be looking for?

I'm in the market for a used Ural and came across a 2009 Patrol. I'm interested in what I should look for prior to purchase,so I don't buy a pig in a poke! Any advise is welcome.
MagyarMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:59 AM   #2
YOUNZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
If after a day on the bike, you arrive home very disappointed because you didn't need to work on it at the side of the road, then go for the Ural, you'll be a happy man. Sorry, couldn't resist.
YOUNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:09 AM   #3
Mr. G
Normal Dude

Oddometer: 1,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagyarMan View Post
I'm in the market for a used Ural and came across a 2009 Patrol. I'm interested in what I should look for prior to purchase,so I don't buy a pig in a poke! Any advise is welcome.
How many miles?

Check for maintenance done on schedule (every 1500 miles). A compression check would be wise, it's very easy to do on a Ural.

Listen for noises, engine cold and warm. Urals make a gear whine in the upper front of the engine and light valve noise. Not good is bearing noise and any other loud clacking or banging.

Put it on the center stand and operate the drivetrain by hand. Feel for binding or tightness. Also make sure there is no excessive play in the driveshafts and wheel bearings (shake all the wheels at 6 and 12 o'clock and 3 and 9 o'clock positions).

Pull the dipstick on the final drive (requires a 19mm wrench) and check the oil for a burnt smell (the oil will be dark and dirty looking unless just changed). Check the other oils for color and smell.

Put a voltmeter on it while at fast idle and look for 13.7 to 14.2 volts as a good charging level.

Look at the swing arm pivots and make sure the welds are good where the arms meet the round pivot tubes.

Make sure is shifts well, goes into reverse and into 2 wheel drive. At slow speed give it full throttle in 3rd or 4th gear to see if the clutch slips.

Where are you located. There might be someone a Uralista close to you who could look at it with you.

Then, while at WFO on my way up a dune, I understood. It was like the heavens opened up and I heard the voices of Angels.
Shortly afterward, I heard the voice of God. He said, and I quote, "Dumbass."
Mr. G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:20 AM   #4
Mr. G
Normal Dude

Oddometer: 1,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUNZ View Post
If after a day on the bike, you arrive home very disappointed because you didn't need to work on it at the side of the road, then go for the Ural, you'll be a happy man. Sorry, couldn't resist.
I think the amount of roadside breakdowns is over exaggerated on the newer (2006 and later) Urals.

I just did 700 miles through the desert in two days and it didn't miss a beat. I have done 6000km (4000 miles) since I bought it and the only roadside breakdown was a flat rear tire which was easily remedied on the side of the road by mounting the spare wheel, a 1/2 hour job.

I believe the key to a reliable Ural is its vintage (2006 or newer) and religious maintenance above and beyond the factory schedule. A thorough going over of the bike every month can help identify trouble spots before they become roadside breakdowns.

Constant use (at least a full heat cycle once a week) is beneficial too. Don't let them sit for weeks at a time then hop on for a ride. Use it regularly.

I bought mine, a 2007, 4 months ago with 4000km, hardly ridden at all. It had been jetted incorrectly and ran like crap. After dialing it in and thoroughly baselining it, and using it regularly, it has been as reliable as any BMW I've owned (so far anyway at 10,000km).

Then, while at WFO on my way up a dune, I understood. It was like the heavens opened up and I heard the voices of Angels.
Shortly afterward, I heard the voice of God. He said, and I quote, "Dumbass."
Mr. G is offline   Reply With Quote