Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 06:29 AM   #1021
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,453
Guerilla, an impact driver will get those screws out, it converts the downward hammer tap into turning motion while at the same time insuring that the bit stays in the screw. This one is "brand C": http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...32-196072104-2
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:35 AM   #1022
goondock
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
Guerilla, an impact driver will get those screws out, it converts the downward hammer tap into turning motion while at the same time insuring that the bit stays in the screw. This one is "brand C": http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...32-196072104-2

Hey Guerilla, I second this post above, that is the exact tool I used to get mine off. i was shocked as to how tight those suckers were in there.
goondock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:41 AM   #1023
goondock
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyBlackIrish View Post
Good info for sure! I'd be interested on the following-up after your night ride and check for sure.
follow up about the HBD mirrors on the HBD handguards.. yes there is a little doubling at night. when you see the headlights in the mirrors you will see the main headlight with two faint headlights on each side.. not really that bad though. totally tolerable.. I have seen some other people throw some stick on mirrors over them but i don't see the need
goondock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:18 AM   #1024
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
I bought a similar but more compact impact that uses normal 1/4" hex bits from Harbor Freight.very inexpensive...plenty stout to do what you need....however the sears one is robust enough for bigger jobs....BUT if you haven't buggered the screw head, take your phillips, put it in the "+", and smack it a couple times with a hammer....50% of the time that will shock the threads enough come unstuck.....replace them with socket head screws
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:31 AM   #1025
Guerillah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by goondock View Post
Hey Guerilla, I second this post above, that is the exact tool I used to get mine off. i was shocked as to how tight those suckers were in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
I bought a similar but more compact impact that uses normal 1/4" hex bits from Harbor Freight.very inexpensive...plenty stout to do what you need....however the sears one is robust enough for bigger jobs....BUT if you haven't buggered the screw head, take your phillips, put it in the "+", and smack it a couple times with a hammer....50% of the time that will shock the threads enough come unstuck.....replace them with socket head screws
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan Boy View Post
Don't push it with a Philips screwdriver.
They are JIS screws. I also couldn't undo them with a Philips but they came right out with a fifth bit (left to right) in this picture.
Same on the Kawasaki.
Thanks guys! I will give it a try today with an impact and the correct bit, luckily I didn't damage the heads.
Guerillah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:38 AM   #1026
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerillah View Post
Thanks guys! I will give it a try today with an impact and the correct bit, luckily I didn't damage the heads.
Yup...Balkan Boy is correct...they are not EXACTLY phillips...and the "+" is more shallow....for quick and dirty, you can grind (file) off the tip of the phillips to make sure you have a good bite in the +.....but trying a couple of smacks won't hurt...because if the bond is broken, it'll be loose enough that you don't bugger the +
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:01 AM   #1027
STANIMAL
SUPPORT THE SECOND

Oddometer: 2,904
Quote:
They are JIS screws. I also couldn't undo them with a Philips but they came right out with a fifth bit (left to right) in this picture.
Same on the Kawasaki.

I see a group buy on that kit in the near future.
I'm ignorant, but happy---steyr_scout308
STANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:17 AM   #1028
strongbad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
Quote:
Same on the Kawasaki.
Thanks for the link to the JIS article.
strongbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #1029
EEKAMOUSE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Same on the Kawasaki.

Jealous of the wera tools
EEKAMOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:26 AM   #1030
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,984
You won't believe how expensive Wera tools are:

Sears
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/v_10153_1...2-00000cc221e4

Chads Tool box
http://chadstoolbox.com/05347180001-...-imperial.aspx

ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:38 AM   #1031
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,984
Central Hobbies sells a nice set of 4 JIS screwdrivers for $17.99. I've had my set for 18 months and use it on all the screws that have a JIS dot on the head - they work great.

Japanese Industrial Standard Screwdriver Set (4), Item #:CHMJSDS
Unit price:$17.99 USD (Plus $8 shipping).

http://centralhobbies.com/Tools/jis.html

ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:15 PM   #1032
STANIMAL
SUPPORT THE SECOND

Oddometer: 2,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz View Post
You won't believe how expensive Wera tools are:

Sears
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/v_10153_1...2-00000cc221e4

Chads Tool box
http://chadstoolbox.com/05347180001-...-imperial.aspx

Makes Snap On seem inexpensive.
I'm ignorant, but happy---steyr_scout308
STANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:46 PM   #1033
Guerillah
Gnarly Adventurer

Got it off guys, thanks for the advice. I couldnt find JIS bits locally so I tried my luck with a regular phillips head and an impact gun, worked like a charm.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #1034
Harcomo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerillah View Post

I like them, definitely free'd up some weight, difference isn't hugely noticeable but can surely be felt (as far as power). It was popping a bit after install of just the exhaust components. Once I added the fuel controller is when it opened up. I also did the airbox mods and filter mod that can be seen on bestdualsports.com . The 13 tooth front socket was also a big boost to the gearing, tons of fun in the dirt at this point. I need some better tires than stock though as they kind of suck in the sand.

How would you compare the FMF pipe's sound compared to the stock system? I've just heard a clip or two on the internet and it's hard to tell how loud it really is. I would like a new exhaust on mine but I don't want something that is obnoxiously loud to others.
Harcomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:43 PM   #1035
Guerillah
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harcomo View Post
How would you compare the FMF pipe's sound compared to the stock system? I've just heard a clip or two on the internet and it's hard to tell how loud it really is. I would like a new exhaust on mine but I don't want something that is obnoxiously loud to others.
I would say this video is accurate of the sound, I did the muffler and header at the same time so i can't tell you how it would sound with the muffler alone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=WveN79a7Z2g#!

At cruising speeds, it isn't loud (actually quite nice) but definitely gets loud as you crank the throttle. I should have used my dB meter to take measurements... sorry!

I'll try taking a video on Friday with audio gain control turned off (so that it doesnt try to amplify the sound).

Guerillah screwed with this post 11-21-2012 at 04:57 PM Reason: Added more info