Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2012, 09:39 PM   #31
Hayate
ADV Monkey

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ Adventure View Post
... even many experienced riders steer clear of the 1200 for any off road sections as they are just too big and cumbersome and take the fun out of it. Although to contradict myself they are capable of doing it but with my ability much slower than the smaller bikes.
It almost sounds like you are referring to our 800's as small easy to handle dirt bikes in this paragraph. I love seeing my bike on the internet in capable hands, but I also know that for myself it still ends upside down on a hill and wont' stand back up even with two men grunting. I'm just saying that comparing the 800 to 1200 for nimbleness is a bit like comparing the 747 vs C-5 for the same. These big GS Beemers are great powerful bikes that display amazing stability in a straight line over impossible terrain AND they go all day fully loaded on the freeway... but let's not kid ourselves.
Minnesota Parallel "Twin" Cities GS Riders
Daniel Betlock Adventure Rider
Hayate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:36 AM   #32
NZ Adventure
Another Fricken Newbie!!!

Oddometer: 42
Pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayate View Post
It almost sounds like you are referring to our 800's as small easy to handle dirt bikes in this paragraph. I love seeing my bike on the internet in capable hands, but I also know that for myself it still ends upside down on a hill and wont' stand back up even with two men grunting. I'm just saying that comparing the 800 to 1200 for nimbleness is a bit like comparing the 747 vs C-5 for the same. These big GS Beemers are great powerful bikes that display amazing stability in a straight line over impossible terrain AND they go all day fully loaded on the freeway... but let's not kid ourselves.
Have you ridden off road with. 19" front wheel 100lbs+ more weight against 21" front wheel and lighter weight?...i assume your interpretations based on your your own riding style. I don't make any suggestion that an 800 is a dirt bike...it is not. But it is certainly (in my experience) easier to take over difficult terrain than its 1200cc big brother. I don't even know what a C 5 is...assume it's a plane therefore I can't compare as never had one of those off road or had to pick it up. :-)
NZ Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:26 AM   #33
Hayate
ADV Monkey

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Have you ridden off road with. 19" front wheel 100lbs+ more weight against 21" front wheel and lighter weight?...i assume your interpretations based on your your own riding style. I don't make any suggestion that an 800 is a dirt bike...it is not. But it is certainly (in my experience) easier to take over difficult terrain than its 1200cc big brother. I don't even know what a C 5 is...assume it's a plane therefore I can't compare as never had one of those off road or had to pick it up. :-)
I haven't taking the 12GSA with a full tank down a trail, but I have taken a standard one (only 50lbs more than my GS). Maybe the 800 is a little easier, but not so much that skill and practice can't overcome it... I'm just saying they are both pigs.
Minnesota Parallel "Twin" Cities GS Riders
Daniel Betlock Adventure Rider
Hayate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #34
biodieselandon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
I enjoyed my '13 800 for about a week until I hit a deer. Still waiting on parts from Germany but by then riding season will be over here. I really like that they added the electronic suspension option, however I hope this option will eventually allow for aftermarket upgrades. I plan on making mine into an aggressive off-road machine!
"A clean GS is a dirty shame."
biodieselandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:55 PM   #35
Duckdog OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
They f800gs I a great bike for some I am sure of that! I want to thank all of you for your thoughts. I really like the triumph 800xc
Duckdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:55 AM   #36
NZ Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by biodieselandon View Post
I enjoyed my '13 800 for about a week until I hit a deer. Still waiting on parts from Germany but by then riding season will be over here. I really like that they added the electronic suspension option, however I hope this option will eventually allow for aftermarket upgrades. I plan on making mine into an aggressive off-road machine!
Well first of all, glad you are ok to tell the tale...nothing else is important. Maybe it is the blue bike jinx...I just heard from my dealer today that the blue 800 he took for a ride last weekend is messed up after a 100kph spill (had 2k's on it now 1300). Rider is ok (a little embarrassed) but bike apparently needs some work after front tyre came off the rim and ploughed bike into the Tarmac. Dealers words "those 800's are tough" he rode the bike home after the spill with bent bars, wheel and damaged fairing. I wonder how the Tiger 800xc would fair up with a one piece frame versus two piece. Write off?? (Can of worms open) :-)
Old 10-24-2012, 07:40 PM   #37
biodieselandon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Well first of all, glad you are ok to tell the tale...nothing else is important. Maybe it is the blue bike jinx...I just heard from my dealer today that the blue 800 he took for a ride last weekend is messed up after a 100kph spill (had 2k's on it now 1300). Rider is ok (a little embarrassed) but bike apparently needs some work after front tyre came off the rim and ploughed bike into the Tarmac. Dealers words "those 800's are tough" he rode the bike home after the spill with bent bars, wheel and damaged fairing. I wonder how the Tiger 800xc would fair up with a one piece frame versus two piece. Write off?? (Can of worms open) :-)
Hopefully the jinx is just a one time deal. It is a very tough bike I was able to ride it the rest of the way home as well. And I was doing at least 60 mph. They are actually replacing the subframe on mine because of the damage to the passenger footpeg mount. I can't believe the front brake lever didn't even snap off! It just wore down the ball on the end. Really tells you how this bike is made to go down again and again offroad and keep on going.

I really like the Tiger 800 as well... Especially that triple! The only thing I don't like is the fact that Triumph makes it so difficult to shut the ABS off! They are both great bikes and I can't see ever being disappointed with either one.
"A clean GS is a dirty shame."
biodieselandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:33 PM   #38
Duckdog OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
pulled the trigger on this 2011 ktm 990 today. Thanks for all your help![IMG][/IMG]
Duckdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:59 AM   #39
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,709
Beautiful bike.....love that white color scheme on those. Congratulations!

Have fun wrenching.

HF.
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:37 PM   #40
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckdog View Post
pulled the trigger on this 2011 ktm 990 today. Thanks for all your help![IMG][/IMG]
Nice.

I tried the 800GS but spent thousands of dollars trying to fix the suspension and wheels for it to become as good in the dirt as my 990 is stock. With the suspension fixed and both bikes parked side by side in the garage, I always rode the 990 anyways.

Sold the GS to a buddy of mine who really wanted the big KTM but found the power intimidating in the dirt. The GS's lack of power compared to the KTM makes it much easier for him to ride.

Thankfully you didn't buy a 800GS and have to spend all that money on suspension up-grades just to end up with a much slower 990.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:10 PM   #41
Avner
Not noob anymore

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick West View Post
Nice.

I tried the 800GS but spent thousands of dollars trying to fix the suspension and wheels for it to become as good in the dirt as my 990 is stock. With the suspension fixed and both bikes parked side by side in the garage, I always rode the 990 anyways.

Sold the GS to a buddy of mine who really wanted the big KTM but found the power intimidating in the dirt. The GS's lack of power compared to the KTM makes it much easier for him to ride.

Thankfully you didn't buy a 800GS and have to spend all that money on suspension up-grades just to end up with a much slower 990.
Rick - you forgot to add on the bottom . The bottom line is that there's no good or bad bike - Whichever bike is good for YOU is the best bike. Just the way the 800 is better for your buddy. Enjoy and ride safe!
Avner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:14 AM   #42
NZ Adventure

I have to admit that is a great looking 990... Luggage looks good too. Congratulations.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:24 AM   #43
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,448
FFS you're tempting all of us right now TT nuke his post
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:12 PM   #44
LostViking
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,003
Sweet!