User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
Bugsy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Didn't need it... but had to have it!! '76 DT400

I've been on the prowl for a mid '70's DT for awhile so when one popped up in a local ad, I couldn't help myself. It seems like most of the bikes that I've bought over the last, few years have required a 3 day adventure to go get so I was shocked to see this one close to home. This one has sat for two years as the owner had passed on but it's complete and has good compression and spark. Plus, it's been inside it's whole life. I'm hoping it won't take a whole lot to get it going. Anyway...I'm pumped and had to share it with people who appreciate it! My neighbors, who bitch about the sound of my straight pipe BSA, will LOVE this old two stroke firing off!!

Bugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:51 PM   #2
Scootern29
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
Nice bike. You need to post some pics up on Yamahaenduro.com if you can get on there. They are Yamaha fanatics.
Scootern29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:27 PM   #3
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post
I've been on the prowl for a mid '70's DT for awhile so when one popped up in a local ad, I couldn't help myself. It seems like most of the bikes that I've bought over the last, few years have required a 3 day adventure to go get so I was shocked to see this one close to home. This one has sat for two years as the owner had passed on but it's complete and has good compression and spark. Plus, it's been inside it's whole life. I'm hoping it won't take a whole lot to get it going. Anyway...I'm pumped and had to share it with people who appreciate it! My neighbors, who bitch about the sound of my straight pipe BSA, will LOVE this old two stroke firing off!!

Give us the good and bad after you've spent a little time with it!!!!

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:31 PM   #4
Bugsy OP
Adventurer

I will for sure! It's been warm here so far this month so I'm going to try to get after it before winter really sets in. I need to pull the carb and clean it and also, the tank is pretty full of 2 year old gas. I also want to flush the oil system. I do know that the front forks need gone through as they are super spongy. Fresh fuel, oil, clean carb and plug and maybe she'll fire!
Old 11-21-2012, 01:08 PM   #5
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,311
There's a running lower mileage one for sale here locally I might buy if the timing works out. That and the 250 version are honestly the only early yamaha 2T Enduros I really felt comfortable riding on a daily basis. And they still are.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:46 PM   #6
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 6,896
Quote:

Lord have mercy ... that is a beautiful time warp.

You did well , congratulations.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:11 PM   #7
Slaghammer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
I will for sure! It's been warm here so far this month so I'm going to try to get after it before winter really sets in. I need to pull the carb and clean it and also, the tank is pretty full of 2 year old gas. I also want to flush the oil system. I do know that the front forks need gone through as they are super spongy. Fresh fuel, oil, clean carb and plug and maybe she'll fire!
Love it !! Bought one new and loved it

One possible tip: Might want to do the initial, first time start up using pre mix in the tank until your sure the auto lube is working. Might cost a fouled plug in awhile but good insurance in case there is a problem.

Great find !!
Slaghammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:16 PM   #8
Bugsy OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
There's a running lower mileage one for sale here locally I might buy if the timing works out. That and the 250 version are honestly the only early yamaha 2T Enduros I really felt comfortable riding on a daily basis. And they still are.
I feel the same way about it and that's why I've been looking for one. I really want to ride it on a daily basis if I can. There's just something about these old DT's that I love!! I'm looking forward to getting into it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR700 View Post
Lord have mercy ... that is a beautiful time warp.

You did well , congratulations.

THANKS!!!!! It really is pretty decent. The thing that I like about it is that it's complete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaghammer View Post
Love it !! Bought one new and loved it

One possible tip: Might want to do the initial, first time start up using pre mix in the tank until your sure the auto lube is working. Might cost a fouled plug in awhile but good insurance in case there is a problem.

Great find !!
I appreciate the advise and will take it!! The injection system on these does make me a bit nervous. I had an old 250 for a while and ended up just bypassing it and mixing in the tank.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:53 AM   #9
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,996
If your running a straight piped BSA, your neighbors will actually love you for this. They're not too loud. Do pull the baffle and check for carbon build up. If it's nasty, burn it off with a torch. I have had several oil injected 2-strokes. Never had any problems with the injection systems on any of them. They are very reliable and beat having to mix your fuel. I say +1 on adding a little oil to the main tank just to be sure. Especially in cold weather riding. I used to run 70:1 in my tank for winter ice riding while also raising the main jet needle one clip and going 1 size up on the pilot jet. They are known to some times run very lean on long WFO pulls. The old DT400's are in a suprisingly mild state of tune and are not the flaming beasts that many think they are. Good luck ad have fun.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:36 AM   #10
Bugsy OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
If your running a straight piped BSA, your neighbors will actually love you for this. They're not too loud. Do pull the baffle and check for carbon build up. If it's nasty, burn it off with a torch. I have had several oil injected 2-strokes. Never had any problems with the injection systems on any of them. They are very reliable and beat having to mix your fuel. I say +1 on adding a little oil to the main tank just to be sure. Especially in cold weather riding. I used to run 70:1 in my tank for winter ice riding while also raising the main jet needle one clip and going 1 size up on the pilot jet. They are known to some times run very lean on long WFO pulls. The old DT400's are in a suprisingly mild state of tune and are not the flaming beasts that many think they are. Good luck ad have fun.
THANK YOU for the advise!! I appreciate it and will use it! I'm looking forward to getting this bike up and going. After hearing what you and others have said now about the injection system, I'm feeling better about it. I've just had the one, old 250 Yamaha that had this system on it and the whole bike was a real POS anyway. I like the idea of not having to mix in the tank all the time, so I hope that this one is operable. It's supposed to be pretty warm here next week so I'm hoping to get out to the shop and tear into it.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:11 AM   #11
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

If the bike is running, you can check the injection pump by putting pre-mix in your tank, pull the oil hose off the carb body or cylinder base and running the bike. use a shot glass and a stop watch and time the volume that comes out. The rate of flow should increase when rpm's are increased. The exact volume/time can be found in the service manuals.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #12
Bugsy OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
If the bike is running, you can check the injection pump by putting pre-mix in your tank, pull the oil hose off the carb body or cylinder base and running the bike. use a shot glass and a stop watch and time the volume that comes out. The rate of flow should increase when rpm's are increased. The exact volume/time can be found in the service manuals.
I've never thought of doing it that way but it totally makes sense!! I plan on doing some longer, type rides on this bike so I really want to be sure that it's working properly first!

I'm hip to any advise and/or suggestions so I really appreciate it!
Old 11-25-2012, 06:41 PM   #13
ADK
____

Oddometer: 8,172
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootern29 View Post
Nice bike. You need to post some pics up on Yamahaenduro.com if you can get on there. They are Yamaha fanatics.
I second this, there seems to be quite a few members with this particular bike.
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:02 AM   #14
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK View Post
+100K. Hats off to the guys over at Yamahaenduro. They were always very helpful to me when asking for help. My 77 DT 400 has been sold and was purchased by another Yamaha enduro enthusiest who is very active at their site.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:15 AM   #15
Bugsy OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK View Post
I'm going to register on there today. Thanks, fellas!!

Jason