Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2012, 01:59 PM   #211
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxF View Post
[SIZE=1]. It really sucks, I'm in my late 20s and feel like I have wasted my "best years" as a corporate slave. That can't be right...
Yep, that can't be right...that somehow you believe your later years will not be fulfilling, exciting, and adventure-intensive...but, you are forgiven, because you are just a kid...and don't know any better!

Enjoy every day. Ride when you can. Your time will come.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 10-31-2012, 06:17 PM   #212
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
great thread

[QUOTE=Backoutonthehighway;17539840]Max,
There are so many great responses on this thread! Thanks for asking the question! I’m really enjoying the stories and perspective.

this needs to be burped back out to page 1........some great stuff in here (except it deteriorated a bit in the last few pages) hopefully it will revive
Old 11-09-2012, 01:16 PM   #213
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 7,697
I took 5 weeks extended vacation from work to do my NA2010 trip, during which my boss decided to make me redundant so I moved to BP for 6 months, then went sailing for 6 months and I've spent the last 12 months looking for work. Highs and lows.
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -- Robert E. Howard
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:42 PM   #214
Motomochila
Mechanically Inept

Oddometer: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
I took 5 weeks extended vacation from work to do my NA2010 trip, during which my boss decided to make me redundant so I moved to BP for 6 months, then went sailing for 6 months and I've spent the last 12 months looking for work. Highs and lows.
I'm hiring if you have Project management or construction experience.....that and local to Los Angeles. Baring that, can you write? There are many sites and magazines/newspapers that will offer you a small sum to detail your traveling exploits. It's worth a shot if you ever wished to continue the life-style.

http://www.roadrunner.travel/about-u...on-guidelines/
http://www.thetravelwriterslife.com/...t-in-the-door/

-jB, Motomochila, (motorcycle backpacking)
Old 11-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #215
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 7,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomochila View Post
I'm hiring if you have Project management or construction experience.....that and local to Los Angeles. Baring that, can you write? There are many sites and magazines/newspapers that will offer you a small sum to detail your traveling exploits. It's worth a shot if you ever wished to continue the life-style.

http://www.roadrunner.travel/about-u...on-guidelines/
http://www.thetravelwriterslife.com/...t-in-the-door/

-jB, Motomochila, (motorcycle backpacking)
:) thanks Moto :) am back in Vienna for now :), I've PM experience but LA's a bit far ;p. I'll check out the publications you linked though :) so thanks again :)
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -- Robert E. Howard
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:50 PM   #216
Freeman42
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Just take the time off

In my 20's I took two trips, one for 6 months at 26 and one or 3 months at 29. Just quit my job and then came back and found another one. It wasn't easy to find a new job, and there were pay cuts. I had to work hard to get my paychecks back to where they were before I left. But I'm now about to turn 50 and I can say that I am very glad I did that. I look back and think they were the best things I did in my life. Other than maybe having a kid, which I did at 42, to make sure I had finished with all the adventuring. Since then, I'm self-employed and take two 2 week vacations a year. hope as I get older, and so does my son, that we can stretch that to two 3 week vacations a year.
Freeman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:31 AM   #217
Iggster
Tornanti ber alles!

Oddometer: 75
I have a job with a local (city) government that I've been with for 18 years. I get 3 weeks of vacation time per year, plus 2 weeks of "personal time," which is exactly what it is. On top of that, any vacation time not used rolls over to the next year. The time adds up over 18 years, and per the employee contract, I can use this accrued vacation time any time I want.

I usually take 2 or 3 "big" trips a year, usually a week to 10 days long. Sometimes longer, sometimes shorter. I have taken more than 30 days off in a row three times over the last 18 years. With plenty of warning, it has never been an issue with my boss (yes, he is the best boss ever!).

As far as the funds to finance these trips...I save. A lot. Also, I usually set aside my tax return each year to pay for the majority of my moto travels. But the biggest saver for me is that I've realized that I do not need most of the stuff they try to sell me on TV.
Iggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:39 AM   #218
satz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
I am 35 , a odd number as most threads are of riders in the 50`s.
When i was in my mid 20`s i would do a 2 week or 2 1 week trips.
I also will sprinkle in alot of overnighters.

In my 30`s with 2 kids and wife the trips went down. with 2 little kids its hard for my wife do the solo thing. even then i was able to squeeze in a few 1 week trip every other year.

It took me a few years but i think i found a company that is old and believes in the work/life balance. They could not compete with the next door companies to attrack talent money wise so they sell the life / work balance.

My cousin works next door and probabily makes 15k Plus doing something i do here . But he works in a high pressure environment and stressed out. Here they do 4[10 hr days] in summer. so i have 3 day weekends . this means i atleast get 1 or 2 days of riding in every week in summer. I also take some vacation days and do a alot of overnighter. Again, stress is less. i took a 10k pay cut but it is well worth it.

for now the week long rides are for hold , i do not complain as over 2 days i miss my kids more. they are inthe age where dad is cool and want to hangout. I enjoy it more. more than riding some days .
i am sure once they growup and goto school and get busy i will be back on the road.

finances - not sure when i was single i made in the 50k mark and it was good for a single guy, now i make twice and have less money with family,house etc . again its not like i camp either all my trips i stay at motels and hotels .
satz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:38 AM   #219
Two Wheeled 'Tard
Banned

Oddometer: 165
My secret is that I do contract work in absurdly remote locations around the world, usually for between six months and two years at a time. I also don't have a family, or a wife, or a house, or an apartment, or a car or . . . well, much of anything. The places I work at are sort of like the military in that transportation, food and housing are all provided, so there's very little to spend your salary on. And aside from my motorcycles and associated riding gear in a storage locker, everything I own in the world fits into a few duffel bags.

Currently, I'm on a seven months on/five months off work rotation. I work like a mad bastard at a crazy location for seven months, saving every penny I make. Then when summer rolls around, I have a tidy sum of money in my bank account, and five months to kill with no obligations to anyone, anywhere.

It also helps that I travel VERY cheaply. Cook almost all my meals on a camp stove, stealth camp every night, and spending very little money on silly farkles.
Two Wheeled 'Tard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:57 PM   #220
hilslamer
2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer: 1,784
Great stories, all! Keep them coming; I love when this thread rolls to the top and gets noticed again - a fresh set of inspirational stories and great advice crops up really nicely.

hilslamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #221
HalB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
great discussion.

The issue is your priorities. I know people with lots of money and no time, and people with no money and lots of time. The no money people, travel more, have more leisure. The key as I see it, is to decide what is the most important thing for you, and then put all of your resources to that. If it is vagabonding on a bike, anyone can do it, IF it is the only thing you are doing. Don't wait for the lottery! It gets harder as you get older (kids, wifey, pension job etc). I took 2 years in my early 30's lost traction in my career, but had the best 2 years of my life.

read this book: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_4-Hour_Workweek

Remember you do not have to do anything you don't want to do.

to quote Rabbi Hillel "...if not now, when?"
HalB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:33 AM   #222
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,419
you need to sell all your stuff & quit your job & then you have the $ and the time.

few people get the concept you can work again down the road if needed but you get so many years of living to do something big in life. if you keep waiting till you can do something you never will. if your stuck on getting more material things so tomorrow will be better...it never will.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:37 AM   #223
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,419
getting ride of your TV (at least cable. keep the TV for movies every so often)
is the best thing anyone can do to get their life & finances back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggster View Post
I have a job with a local (city) government that I've been with for 18 years. I get 3 weeks of vacation time per year, plus 2 weeks of "personal time," which is exactly what it is. On top of that, any vacation time not used rolls over to the next year. The time adds up over 18 years, and per the employee contract, I can use this accrued vacation time any time I want.

I usually take 2 or 3 "big" trips a year, usually a week to 10 days long. Sometimes longer, sometimes shorter. I have taken more than 30 days off in a row three times over the last 18 years. With plenty of warning, it has never been an issue with my boss (yes, he is the best boss ever!).

As far as the funds to finance these trips...I save. A lot. Also, I usually set aside my tax return each year to pay for the majority of my moto travels. But the biggest saver for me is that I've realized that I do not need most of the stuff they try to sell me on TV.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:02 AM   #224
teizms
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
getting ride of your TV (at least cable. keep the TV for movies every so often)
oh u will find that you hve so much more time in your life if u dont have a tv.
sitting on a couch watching tv is the biggest deterrent keeping you from going out and doing something
teizms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #225
tobster9
Sky larker

Oddometer: 118
just do it

So many cliches surrounding this topic, but cliches are born out of truth essentially I guess. I travelled a lot when I was in my early 20's and I remember being on a boat with a guy in Thailand, we were talking and he told me he had cancer and would probably die, he decided to spend his cash on a big trip and see Thailand as he had always wanted to, he told me his only regret was that he hadnt done it sooner. Ive always thought about this random dude.

Extended travels carries all kinds of problems as well, you realise when you get back that everyones (many peoples) conversation is based around TV and films and that you have no idea what theyre talking about. You also dont put down roots and develop close relationships in the same way. And then theres the reality and gravity of coming back to open a newspaper and look for a job so you can start at the bottom and prove yourself again and work extra hard by giving that extra 10% and getting up early and coming home late. To then realise and feel later that its all very pointless and the only way to make it ok is to go and buy something like a bigger TV or finance a new car or condo etc. Next thing you know your living in suburbia planning weekend trips to walmart.

Its almost criminal to waste the freedom and chance to travel, so many people dont have that option, the best days of my life have been travelling and when you do get home or make a home somewhere theres a really good chance that you will appreciate it.

I love the bit in the film Wanted when he stands up and tells his fat nagging bitch of a boss to Fu"k off
You got the rest of your life to work and chase dollars, go do something fun, and do it on a bike, hell yeah!