Oddometer: 30,060
Key Switch

not long ago, someone asked abt where to mount a key switch, here is mine

DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:41 AM   #5207
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 1,056
Happy Thanksgiving to all of you fellow tractor riders! Give your bike some turkey too!

Old 11-22-2012, 08:59 AM   #5208
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR4EVER View Post
Happy Thanksgiving to all of you fellow tractor riders! Give your bike some turkey too!

my bike gets riden by a turkey!
Old 11-22-2012, 09:25 AM   #5209
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Omnomnomnom

After Turkey dinner I'm loading up and heading out for the LA Barstow to Vegas ride. 500 miles of mostly dirt. XR is looking more like a burro than usual.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:34 AM   #5210
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 1,056
Loaded to the gills, and it is still saying, "Thank you sir! May I have another!"

Those of us in snow country are very jealous right now. Have fun and be safe!
Old 11-22-2012, 03:20 PM   #5211
DrLewall
The Human GPS

the last time I rode the Barstow to Vegas, (1971) I shared the ER with Preston Petty
Old 11-25-2012, 12:42 PM   #5212
mvg2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
WTB - Front brake rotor

Hey Xr400 riders! I just picked up a nice running '00 from an inmate and am having a blast playing in dirt again

I'm in the process of going over everything and need to replace a couple of items:

WTB - Front rotor and the dust cover and speedo cable inner. Anyone have either of these two for sale?

Either way, glad I found this great bike and great thread! Off to check valves....

mvg2 screwed with this post 11-25-2012 at 04:19 PM
mvg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #5213
proeasy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
kickstand took off hunk of frame

My kickstand bent clear off the frame and took a nice pice of the frame off with it. Have 0 experience with welding. Not as worried about the kickstand, but can an piece of metal be added to the frame to cover the whole/gap?

Paul
Husky TE-510
Stumpjumper Carbon 29'r PRO
proeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:57 PM   #5214
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by proeasy View Post
My kickstand bent clear off the frame and took a nice pice of the frame off with it. Have 0 experience with welding. Not as worried about the kickstand, but can an piece of metal be added to the frame to cover the whole/gap?

Paul
Yes. The XR has a steel frame, so getting it welded up is not a problem. Take it to an experienced welder in your part of the world and it will be fine.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:57 PM   #5215
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,417
XR400 Leftover parts

Last year I bought a used XR400R frame and swingarm when I learned my '96 XR had a siezed swing arm bolt. Now that I have mine repaired (only used the swing arm) I have leftovers for sale cheap. In fact, if you live in SE Michigan, it'll be even cheaper to save shipping, by picking it up & I don't have to figure out how to box the darn thing. The frame includes a title (Colorado). Extras include the suspension links, the oil hose that goes to the frame front down tube to the engine, and another one going to the top of the frame (I don't remember details at this moment...and I don't feel like going out in the cold to look closer.) Also there is a complete upper and lower triple clamp with stem....bearings aren't real great, but probably could be saved. PM me with offers. Oh....the bottom tube under the engine on one side is flattened some...PO musta smacked something and not had a bash plate. It's certainly OK if you need a budget repair. Also, I quizzed the PO to see if the previous engine had blown up and contaminated the frame oil sump....and he said no. Also, the frame has a thermometer that goes in the dipstick hole. New those were about $50. I'll separate parts if it'll help get rid of these bits.
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:00 PM   #5216
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,417
Quote:

Paul
See my previous post....I've got a whole frame...real cheap....and that sidestand tab is solid. Yeah, lotta work swapping all the bits....but no welding or welding $$$. I assume Motown = Detroit......
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:04 PM   #5217
proeasy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
See my previous post....I've got a whole frame...real cheap....and that sidestand tab is solid. Yeah, lotta work swapping all the bits....but no welding or welding $$$. I assume Motown = Detroit......
Ed, thanks, but a frame swap would be quite a project if I can just get it welded. Will keep it in mind. I am in the western burbs of Detroit M-14/275 area

Paul
Husky TE-510
Stumpjumper Carbon 29'r PRO
proeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:53 AM   #5218
mark1150
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Ed, thanks, but a frame swap would be quite a project if I can just get it welded. Will keep it in mind. I am in the western burbs of Detroit M-14/275 area

Paul
The lug is quite a common occurrence, I've had mine welded although admittedly I caught it when it was just a fracture.
A good welder should be able to patch / repair the area, plus the added benefits are, no paperwork i.e. change of vehicle particulars; plus you know it's done once and for all.
My welder disconnected the CDI box before welding, although there are some who say it's not necessary I think it's better to be safe than sorry.
Good luck with it. ,
mark1150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:27 PM   #5219
Tachedoutoffroad
Mr. Parrish

Oddometer: 601
Loved my 400 so much I had to gets it '96 twin 600! PLATED!

Support your local know-it-all gear guy and give your money to Brian at https://www.atomic-moto.com/
Tachedoutoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:46 PM   #5220
DrLewall
The Human GPS

this is my 96 XR4