ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2012, 07:24 PM   #16
XR4EVER OP
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factory Phil View Post
We cleared a lot of that last spring...
That is amazing. I would have guessed it had been years since anyone had cleared that!

Have you ever made it the 30 something miles to Idaho Point like I had hoped to?

I will definitely be heading back up there after the snow melts with a re-designed saw mount. That is a sweet trail. Thanks for your info!
Old 10-29-2012, 07:43 PM   #17
Factory Phil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
No, but I would like to try it sometime. I have mainly ridden north of there. If the snow stays away, this should be a great weekend to do some riding up there.
Factory Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:52 PM   #18
XR4EVER OP
919 excuses to ride!

Quote:
No, but I would like to try it sometime. I have mainly ridden north of there. If the snow stays away, this should be a great weekend to do some riding up there.
I'd be willing to bet the snow is already there. I was riding in the area last weekend at around 4000' and getting snowed on, plowing through it at 6000'. Thompson Pass is at 4500'. It's all up from there and down the cold north faces of the mountains. You can go check it out - I'll be back in the spring!

XR4EVER screwed with this post 06-10-2013 at 08:18 AM
XR4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:06 PM   #19
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,217
With how warm it has been these last few days I'm wondering if all that high country snow has melted.

Sunday I'm helping the Idaho dept of rec on some Canfield trail maintenance

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:01 PM   #20
Factory Phil
Adventurer

Can you PM me the info on this?

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenai Rider View Post

Sunday I'm helping the Idaho dept of rec on some Canfield trail maintenance
Old 10-31-2012, 07:38 PM   #21
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Get on the pantra FB page, Tom wuest posted about it with his phone#. Really, if you want to, meet me at nettleton gulch at 8am Sunday, we'll ride up trail 8 until we find the guys with The trail machine. Bring your bike. We are basically gonna be grunts. I may bring a chainsaw, you know, just to make some noise.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:28 PM   #22
XR4EVER OP
919 excuses to ride!

I'd love to get out and ride this weekend, but I think my wife has had her fill of hearing excuses of why "I need to go riding this weekend."

I'll try again next spring. The old XR needs some attention anyway. I'm pretty sure I cooked the oil the last time out. There was smoke coming off the engine in places I have never seen before.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:35 PM   #23
XR4EVER OP
919 excuses to ride!

I'm ready for spring!

I moved the saw to the rear; I'm ready for some trail clearing! Now just a loooong 6+ months to wait.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:05 PM   #24
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Winter sucks! The best riding around here seems to have the narrowest window. I never hit freeze out at Clarkia, LPO or Moyie this year.....damn

Old 06-10-2013, 08:52 AM   #25
XR4EVER OP
919 excuses to ride!

It's baaaaaack!

I rode up to Thompson Pass yesterday on the street bike and hiked about a mile up the trail to see what kind of condition the trail is in.

I found this:

And a few of these:

...But there is nowhere near the amount of downfall that there was last year. Maybe we'll make it more than 5 miles in 5 hours the next time up, and not worry about having to tow a tanker full of saw gas behind us! I was able to move a surprising amount of it by hand.

The most promising part of the hike? No snow!! I'm sure that would change when you drop down the north face of the mountains, but it is so close, I can taste it!
Old 06-10-2013, 09:13 AM   #26
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Wanna go this weekend and do some cutting?

Old 06-10-2013, 09:23 AM   #27
XR4EVER OP
919 excuses to ride!

We'll see. I'm starting a new job tonight - swing/graveyard shift, Monday through Friday, 6pm to ? I may need some time to adjust. If you go up without me, remember to turn left at the "Y" and cross the logging road (mile 5 1/2), through the camp site.... The trail should pick up again somewhere in there and run to the left along the ridge. That is where Wifey and I lost the trail last year.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:18 AM   #28
Factory Phil
Adventurer

We are going to take a stab at this tomorrow. We rode the state line road and some trail outside of pond peak. No Snow. This is good, because there was snow up there this time last year. My cousin says he has came down from the north down to the centennial trail from our camp spot. I will let you know how it works out.

I was looking at a map and we were much further north than I originally thought last year. About 8 miles or so.

Got the 190TC tuned up and ready to chew some wood....
Old 06-14-2013, 10:02 AM   #29
XR4EVER OP
919 excuses to ride!

Quote:
We are going to take a stab at this tomorrow.
Man, I wish I could go! I'll be crawling into bed tonight at 2am; dirt bikes and chainsaws aren't smart with not enough sleep. Maybe I can talk the wife into picking up where you guys leave off on Sunday. If you wouldn't mind, post (on here) how far you made it after you get back tomorrow. At about 3 miles in, it drops down a north face. I'd be willing to bet there is snow there, so have a "plan B" route in the works. Have fun and be safe! And take pictures!
Old 06-21-2013, 09:00 PM   #30
XR4EVER OP
919 excuses to ride!

Short notice, but I'll be heading out there to do some solo trail clearing tomorrow morning. I'll try to be to the parking lot at the top of the pass by 6 or 7 am. If anyone wants to meet me there, great! If I'm already in the woods, I'm sure it won't take you long to find me. Just take it slow in case I am on my way back to the truck for something... I don't want to hit you head-on.