Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 07:49 AM   #76
thumpism
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsidein View Post
I read that states that have mandatory helmet laws have a significantly lower rate of motorcycle theft. Hard to ride off on a stolen bike when you did not bring along a helmet and not having one will get you pulled over by the first cop car that passes you.
Sounds reasonable. The dumbsh*t who was apprehended on my bike is probably not the one who stole it. I doubt if he would have been smart enough to figure out that part.

One valuable thing I did learn about the KLR theft was this: In the initial police report the VIN was incorrect, one character off. I made sure on a followup call by the local police that the correct VIN was on record. I'm convinced that had I not insisted on that correction the bike would never have made it home since they would not have known they found MY bike.
thumpism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #77
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post

(As far as leaving my helmet/jacket on my bike.........Never. Its a big old world out there and not everybody is a boy scout.)
Ever try to find a helmet that fits on a sunday morning to continue the trip? I take it with me.
I agree, I don't know the origin of this saying but I've always liked it: "Trust in God, but tie your camel."
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:33 PM   #78
kuroda_tadayoshi
Kuroda

Oddometer: 141
Too funny

A few years ago, a buddy of mine and I stopped at Scotty's Castle. After exploring the area, we came back to the bikes. The ravens had forced the zipper open on his tank bag. They then dug a hole in the skin of a banana, and sucked the innards out.

Oh, also, his jacket was ON TOP OF THE TANK BAG. They knocked it off before they started their work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugemoth View Post
46 years of touring so far and only once have I had something stolen. Late at night at a rest stop on highway 5 in Oregon someone pried open the top box and stole a 35mm camera. At Crater Lake NP bear once knocked over my bike to get at some food in my top box. In the mountains of Northern California a raccoon unsnapped the vinyl cover on my Vetter fairing and ate my trail mix. At Scotty's Castle in DVNP a raven unzipped the tank paniers on my dual sport bike and ate some of my Goldfish. Yes, some ravens have figured out how zippers work.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:02 AM   #79
macd7919
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Here's one for you. Rode my ktm 525 up to the neighborhood bar, parked it right outside the front windows as the kickstand was broken and it was out of the way up against the wall. Went in, ordered a beer, went back out to the bike to put my gloves away and the air box cover was long gone. Who the hell steals a plastic air box cover?
macd7919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:32 PM   #80
wldct69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky View Post
left my helmet on my bike, just like I have, for 40 years, all over Can the US and Mexico. came out after lunch and it was gone.

Had my backpack stolen from a bus in Costa Rica a couple of years ago.

that's all I can think of.
I do this....never had a problem either. Sometimes I secretly wish that someone would steal it so I have an excuse Toby a new one. Lol. If I could I'd buy a new helmet every year.
wldct69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:53 PM   #81
bajaburro
Ancient Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,530
mexico

lots of stuff stolen,bikes,tools, truck,riding gear.you kind of get numb to it i guess.