User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2010, 07:34 PM   #46
DrZrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Moving to Chile

I just accepted a job working in Chile for 2 years and I'm looking for some general motorcycle advice. I move down from Detroit in a few weeks and just started packing.

I'm thinking of buying a new or used Honda NX400, but wondering what gear I should bring down there. The company that hired me is paying to airship 3 boxes of whatever i want, so I think one of those will be made up of boots, helmet, etc. Anything in particular I should bring down that might be hard to find? Tools?

Is it going to be hard to find a place in Santiago where I can store the bike?

Is it better to find a place on the outskirts on the city to avoid traffic?

Am I going to have issues getting a motorcycle license / insurance / registration?

I have so many questions, but I can't wait to move to Chile and start the next adventure in my life!
DrZrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:23 PM   #47
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,220
Hey Dr,
I can't comment on all of your questions, but regarding gear and stuff you can find almost everything here ... at two times the price you would pay there, so bring here all the expensive stuff you know you're gonna need.
I just went to a shop today to take a look at the Shoei Hornet. $700. And that's cheap. Other shop sells it for $900. Retails in USA for $400 ... Actually I went to see if the Medium size fits me so I can order it from Ebay, go figure.

Regarding bikes, cars, gear, electronics, ... almost everything is more expensive here than there. Good thing is if you buy a brand new, let's say, Yamaha XT 660 R for $13,000 you can sell it two years later for 10-11,000 so it's not that bad

Not sure if I understood about storing the bike in Santiago, you mean if you rent an apartment? No problem at all, will be safe.

License: while I really don't know what the law says, i do know that you can drive here with you US license for a while. Once you become a resident maybe you should take the test to get a local license (easiet thing ever!) but, really, don't worry about that now.

Yeah, i know you have a lot of questions , happened to me when I came here from Spain, but now don't worry too much about what bike to get or what place is better to live, you'll have time to sort that things out

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:07 AM   #48
GastonUSAChile
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Don't be confused with simple tasks

Hi, I am chilean/U.S. right now based in Lima, Peru.
Somebody was right on telling you to ship a bike from US and having in Chile with US tag. The only problem w/ that is you must take the bike out of the country at 6 month non renewable for another 6 month.
Ther other option is to buy one there and then sell it. Selling won't hurt you because the losses are minimal.
About gas stations, there are everywhere, like in a developed country, don't worry about it. Chile is modern and progressive. All the stories said about gas lack, forget it.
I saw the other day a very nice tourism guide made in 3 or 4 booklets made by COPEC (just out for sale). This is a very good guide found just in Europe and not even in the US type of guide. It has plans, city maps road maps, gas points etc. etc.. I have one made from another source and let me tell you, is good ansd practical. Can be carried in the tank bag since is the size of a map with pages, not folded type.
Go to Emol.com or La Tercera newspaper in the net and you'll find the advertising.
About shipping by sea, is not a problem. Chile is very practical as experienced by others travellers. I am bringing a container with home stuff and my bike plus other ridder's bikes to Lima in March. The point is to get a good forwarding company. I have one in Miami if you like it.

Ok, that was my 2 cents advice. Don't worry about bad advices, a lot of people had never been in Chile and they think as any other bad place. It is not.

Gaston
samericaxplorer@gmail.com

US SHIPPING Now open: JUNE-JULY 2014 Share Container CHILE to MIAMI or HOUSTON
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=741582 www.samericaxplorer.net
GastonUSAChile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:38 AM   #49
*Ck*
Goin south...

Oddometer: 58
Selling my Canadian bike in Chile

I have a xr650r set up for long distance that i rode down to Chile and am now looking to sell it. I have been mixed reports as to whether or not this is possible. Any info would be greatly appreciated or contacts who might be able to help me through the process.

Check out, www.alaskatoargentina.org

Cheers

Ck
*Ck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:03 PM   #50
BMiK
MetalHead

Oddometer: 2
Ck, I send a few e-mails about your question to the "Registro Civil", the entity responsible for the vehicle transfers here in Chile, so as soon as i get an answer i will let you know.

I'm a chilean living in Santiago, so i'll be glad on helping you with your questions.

I also like to travel my country in the "off-road" mode, so if anyone would like to discover places where the "gringos" don't go, just let me know.

Cheers

Jose Luis.
because judging by the metalheads around me, we're
doing just fine without you.
BMiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:51 PM   #51
Bikebod
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Hey Jose Luis - I am a gringo from the UK, am living here in Santiago looking to go out on some nice rides, off/on road, would like to meet up and drive someplace, have a new 400cc that wants to be ridden! Thanks, Gwilym
Bikebod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:56 PM   #52
BMiK
MetalHead

Oddometer: 2
Ck,

I got an answer from Registro Civil.

"Estimado (a) Usuario (a):

Junto con saludarlo, por medio del presente correo procedo a dar respuesta a requerimiento presentado:

- Conforme lo señalado por usted, precedentemente, la inquietud presentada radica en determinar la factibilidad de efectuar la transferencia del vehículo de su amigo, quien lo trae desde E.E.U.U.
- En efecto, su amigo puede efectuar la transferencia en nuestro país. Sin embargo, para ello es necesario el cumplimiento de determinados trámites que resultan esenciales para efectuar la Primera Inscripción de la motocicleta en Chile. Sin Primera Inscripción el vehículo no se encuentra registrado en nuestro Servicio y, por tanto, no se puede transferir.
- Para cumplir con la Primera Inscripción, deberá acudir a la Aduana, a fin de que requerir la Declaración de Ingreso de la motocicleta a su nombre, acompañando para dicho efecto la documentación por ellos requerida.
- Obtenida la Declaración de Ingreso, deberá presentar en cualquiera de nuestras oficinas solicitud de Primera Inscripción, a la cual deberá adjuntar la referida Declaración de Ingreso de la motocicleta.
- Finalmente, aceptada la solicitud de Primera Inscripción, la motocicleta se encontrará inscrita a nombre de su amigo y será procedente efectuar la Transferencia de la misma, previa presentación de solicitud de Transferencia, acompañando a ella la respectiva documentación fundante."

Basically what it says, is that it's POSIBLE for you to sell the bike in Chile, but you have to do the "First Registration" of the bike. For that, you must go to Aduanas (Customs) and require a "Declaracion de Ingreso" (Entrance Statement) of the bike to your name. Then, you have to go with that document to any office of the Registro Civil (RC) and require the First Registration. Finally, when RC aprove that, the bike is registered under your name in Chile and you can now sell it.

Bikebob, almost every weekend a group of friends and I are going out to do some nice trail rides. For example, this weekend (Sunday) we're going to the Ruta del Condor, a nice trail near Santiago. It can take you a full afternoon (if you take it easy) or just 2 hours (if you are feeling like Despres). Anybody can do this route, bikes from 125 c.c. to the big V-Twins. If you are interested I can send you pictures and videos so we can coordinate a ride. The idea is to make this ride before the first snows of the year, because after that the path is blocked.

Cheers.
because judging by the metalheads around me, we're
doing just fine without you.
BMiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:33 PM   #53
Pro1
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Best Air Cargo Options from Miami to Santiago Chile?

What are the Best Air Cargo Options from Miami to Santiago Chile?
Pricing?
Customs paperwork?
Safe for a Ducati street bike?
Transport Insurance?
This thread seems pretty pro-active and I appreciate that...
When I come down in a few months... beers are on me ~
Pro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:19 PM   #54
Pro1
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Price of New NX 400 in Chile?

What is the Price of a New NX 400 in Chile in US Dollars?
I appreciate your help.
When I come down beers are on me...
Pro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:56 PM   #55
GastonUSAChile
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro1 View Post
What is the Price of a New NX 400 in Chile in US Dollars?
I appreciate your help.
When I come down beers are on me...
Hahaha, don'even think of that, any bike in Chile is above standards. Too expensive, too ridiculous. Better drnk beers, way cheap but not imported ones

Old 11-20-2012, 03:50 AM   #56
ChileGS
ChileGSer

Oddometer: 41
Nx400

In Santiago at Procircuitos a new NX400 will run you USD $7,450. If you pay cash you could probably get it for about $7,000. I would offfer $6,850 and see where they counter.
ChileGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:09 PM   #57
MAXVERT
Rough Rider

Oddometer: 1,007
Thanks for this helpful post.

I'm flying my bike into Santiago Dec. 10
How easy is it for me to do the customs clearance
myself.

My bike is being shipped in a nice steel crate, do you know anyone who can store it for me for four or five months ?
I also need to store a set of tires for a couple of months, until I finish our Southern loop.
Max

MAXVERT screwed with this post 11-21-2012 at 07:17 PM
MAXVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:57 AM   #58
Acampao
WInd Jammer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXVERT View Post
Thanks for this helpful post.

I'm flying my bike into Santiago Dec. 10
How easy is it for me to do the customs clearance
myself.

My bike is being shipped in a nice steel crate, do you know anyone who can store it for me for four or five months ?
I also need to store a set of tires for a couple of months, until I finish our Southern loop.
Max
Max,

Be aware that permanent import of used motorcycles is not allowed in Chile (except for the Iquique and Punta Arenas duty free zones). You will need to temporary import your bike and and have it re expedited after a period of 6 months. That post about registering your bike in Chile is misleading because the trick is that in order to register you will have to show that the bike has been duly imported.

Also note that the agricultural service (SAG) is now requesting that all used equipment, including vehicles, brought into the country comes with a phytosanitary certificate (meaning it has been fogged). Otherwise it could be quarantined before release.

A
 All that matters is timing.

Acampao screwed with this post 11-25-2012 at 07:54 AM
Acampao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:01 AM   #59
Acampao
WInd Jammer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Ck* View Post
I have a xr650r set up for long distance that i rode down to Chile and am now looking to sell it. I have been mixed reports as to whether or not this is possible. Any info would be greatly appreciated or contacts who might be able to help me through the process.
I assume your bike is under temporary admission. You can either re expedite it or sell it in one of the duty free zones (Iquique or Punta Arenas). You cannot permanently import (and sell) a used bike into Chile.

A
 All that matters is timing.
Acampao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:20 AM   #60
GastonUSAChile
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Gringo View Post
Why is the country named after a condiment? And what part of Peru are you from?
The name CHILE have nothing to do with a hot pepper, it comes from the quechuas and apprently is a bird that make a similar sound. It could be Mapuche too.