User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 42 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 08:24 AM   #1471
Buzzbomber
Not Dr. Who...

Oddometer: 1,226
Don't sell your mcpx just yet. I was thrilled with the nano out of the box, but after 25 flights or so, I think I like the micro better. The spindle on the nano bends very easily compared to the micro- results in vibration and tail wag, the canopy will not take a hit without cracking like the micro, and I managed to break the skids at the corner of the battery holder just pulling the battery out - the label on TP 160 cells catches the lip and you have to squeeze a bit to get it out. And the 1" over tail I made holds better than the nano, too. In all fairness, I never tried flips in my basement until I got the nano, and the nano may be a bit more stable when inverted. Who knows, maybe I'm just having a run of bad luck, but it seems like my micro has actually been more durable.
Buzzbomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:29 AM   #1472
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,496
Flew this for the first time yesterday. It's an old Watt-Age Tangent. I put a 370 BL motor in it with 3S 800 LiPo. Flies like a real old school F3A plane.

Bought the plane at a swap meet for $20. Motor, ESC and batteries from HeadupRC. Very economical.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:48 AM   #1473
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbomber View Post
Don't sell your mcpx just yet. I was thrilled with the nano out of the box, but after 25 flights or so, I think I like the micro better. The spindle on the nano bends very easily compared to the micro- results in vibration and tail wag, the canopy will not take a hit without cracking like the micro, and I managed to break the skids at the corner of the battery holder just pulling the battery out - the label on TP 160 cells catches the lip and you have to squeeze a bit to get it out. And the 1" over tail I made holds better than the nano, too. In all fairness, I never tried flips in my basement until I got the nano, and the nano may be a bit more stable when inverted. Who knows, maybe I'm just having a run of bad luck, but it seems like my micro has actually been more durable.
Tell me about it, I bent the feathering shaft and a broke the skids already. I think it's more stable than the micro but I don't need two. Well, maybe I do!

I have the V1 micro with the new, longer tail boom (stock Blade part) which comes with the newer V2 rotor. That has helped with washout.
DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:58 PM   #1474
MooseKiller
Tripod

Oddometer: 4,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saget View Post
Nice job, Dusty! These things are addictive. Which control board are you using??

Here's a heads-up for anyone scratch building these multi-rotors:

A couple pages back I posted a few pics of my hexcopter I just built. I used 1" square aluminum tubing for the frame, and drilled them full of holes to try to save weight. It flew fine, but it was just too heavy.

I did a bunch of searching online for carbon fiber tubing, but everything I found was too expensive. I didn't want to spend $300 or more to save a few ounces. Then I came across this at Hobby King: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=27134

Carbon fiber tail booms for a TRex 600. About 24" long, 7/8" diameter, for $5.50 each!!! I ordered up 8 of them and rebuilt my frame, plus I have a couple of spares. The only thing is they'll need to be painted unless you happen to like the camo print they come with. I took at least half a pound out of my frame, which added a good 2-1/2 minutes of flight time, along with better handling and more weight carrying capacity for cameras.
There's a lot of great multi-rotor kit on that site... Thanks for the link!

I'd like to try building my own, but not too sure where to start, mainly because there seems to be so many options out there! I had looked at the AR Drone, simply due to cost, but I am not sure that it can fly a GoPro well, which is the main reason I am looking to get a multi-rotor. It has been quite a few years since I have been into RC, so the technology has changed quite a bit... Are there any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for anyone's suggestions!
Old 11-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #1475
Cumminsman76
befuddled

Oddometer: 8,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitham_wannabe View Post
Has anyone tried RC sailing? Seems like a very pleasant way to spend an afternoon, though I fear I may get a bit bored of it after a while ...

Alot of fun and you have to think about how to get the boat to go. Your always adjusting the sails so it doesnt get boring. Take a look at AMYA.org. I like the J class boaats but will probably never have one. I do have a Hartman Malabar hull that is a 2 masted schooner I need to build still. About 6 feet long and 4 feet tall when done.

Save $5 on Smugmug "1alkVgTNLEuyQ"
Cumminsman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:00 AM   #1476
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,634
I'll have to get some pics of my Fokker D-VII on here.

I have some on-plane vids at youtube under CNY1RC.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:14 AM   #1477
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,127
As it has been pretty darn nice here lately been flying a bit each night. Finally got the FMS stuka out. That thing is just a sweet flying plane....no bad habits and it just does not want to come down....I fly around at about 1/3 throttle...it just feels wrong any faster.

I also have had the PZ albatross out....not real impressed with it....everyone seems to love it, but me not so much. It does look good in the air tho.
FPGT72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:16 PM   #1478
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
As it has been pretty darn nice here lately been flying a bit each night. Finally got the FMS stuka out. That thing is just a sweet flying plane....no bad habits and it just does not want to come down....I fly around at about 1/3 throttle...it just feels wrong any faster.

I also have had the PZ albatross out....not real impressed with it....everyone seems to love it, but me not so much. It does look good in the air tho.
Do you have a bomb drop function on the Stuka? Or is it a G model?

I have an Eflite micro Albatros. Was really expecting better performance.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:38 AM   #1479
chipgibbs
ChipG

Oddometer: 120
My latest RC obsession

Boats, specifically Fast Electric Boats are my latest RC obsession and money pitt.

This is a FighterCat Racing Cheetah hull with a Leopard 4082-2000kv motor running 4S2P-5000mah batteries and a SeaKing 180a ESC. So far it has clocked 53mph on it's first day wet.

http://youtu.be/2PMK-E6zA9U

ChipG
chipgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #1480
KeithinSC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,116
Heli recomendations?

My Nephew has asked for a RC helicopter for Christmas. Any recommendations for a noob pilot in the $50-60 range? I'd probably want to toss in a couple spare blades to keep him in the air after a few 'gravity checks'
Prefer to have something heavy enough for outdoor use (calm air) as their house really doesn't have a lot of open space.

I might even have to get one!
KeithinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:24 PM   #1481
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,634
Biggest key is find something you can actually get parts for.
Make sure it is radio controlled, not infra-red LED.

XHeli.com has tons of stuff.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:03 PM   #1482
KeithinSC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
Biggest key is find something you can actually get parts for.
Make sure it is radio controlled, not infra-red LED.

XHeli.com has tons of stuff.

Whoaaaa boy...this might get expensive! Way too many cool toys
KeithinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #1483
ADK
____

Oddometer: 8,053
Cool2

I'm looking at Traxxas' copter. Parts will be available.
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:26 PM   #1484
DakarNick
Swabee

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithinSC View Post
My Nephew has asked for a RC helicopter fo Christmas. Any recommendations for a noob pilot in the $50-60 range? I'd probably want to toss in a couple spare blades to keep him in the air after a few 'gravity checks'
Prefer to have something heavy enough for outdoor use (calm air) as their house really doesn't have a lot of open space.

I might even have to get one!
He has no helicopter experience? E-Flite has the Blade mCX. Coaxial, easy to fly. Parts availability is good. About $100.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #1485
DakarNick
Swabee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK View Post
I'm looking at Traxxas' copter. Parts will be available.
Their quadcopter?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: