ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #31
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariahtize View Post
notice how the writer "encourages" people to vote for Obama to support and institutionalze this proposal.
As always, elections and the person you voted for have consequences...

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:25 PM   #32
Proud Highway
one hand waving free

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac1 View Post
Agreed, but whats your point? Clinton did it with Grand Staircase-Escalante. If you are implying it isn't a big deal, or thinking Obama won't do it, I think you are being naiive.
My point was:
  1. it's a big deal;
  2. it's likely to happen; and
  3. it's unconstitutional.
On the last score, I feel some sense of responsibility to inform like-minded people with some understanding of the broader issues so they have some footing to counteract the strategy that is being employed against them. This serves a practical purpose. It is also an oblique reminder that elections have consequences and that the rule of law which underpins our civil society is being eroded.

What's your plan? A nastygram campaign to the signatories of a letter that has already been sent? And you call me naive.

ETA: The political fallout from Obama designating a NM in the reddest state in the union is zilch; the Ds have one seat in Utah. IMO, the only way to put teeth to this effort is to make it a problem for his party in '14 and '16. The petroleum/mineral extraction lobby needs to bark and those of you with vulnerable representatives need to get involved.

Proud Highway screwed with this post 11-21-2012 at 12:41 PM
Proud Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #33
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 4,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narsisco Lopez View Post
Out of all of those guys, Huntsman was the most sane (must be the fact he's a moto rider).

But, the idea of an ADV letter to all the companies on that list that we can all sign is also a very good idea. Sure beats emailing all of them manually. If we have an attorney present, maybe we can get you to draft a letter. I'm a software developer and can probably crank out a webpage to collect "signatures" and then automate the sending process. After a decent number of sigs have been collected, we could shoot it off to Huntsman AND all the companies.
I am guessing that the quickest way to short circuit this travesty by the anti vehicle group would be to get Huntsman to speak clearly and eloquently (which he does) to Obama to not sign the action. We cycle riders are definitely in the minority and it will take some extra weight to make sure this lockup doesn't happen. Hey I'll bet Jon could even get Obama down for a couple of dirt bike lessons. Obama is a guy who does like fun and he is more centrist than most people give him credit for.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:29 PM   #34
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_ricketts View Post
Hey I'll bet Jon could even get Obama down for a couple of dirt bike lessons. Obama is a guy who does like fun and he is more centrist than most people give him credit for.
I got some singletrack to show 'em
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #35
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
I got some singletrack to show 'em
Chris...I'd pay big money to see that video of him out there.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:14 PM   #36
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,258
Quote:
Whether or not you believe PODUS has the authority is beside the point. The point is PODUS CAN use the Antiquities Act to do so. Let's focus on getting voices of opposition heard.
PODUS?

President Of 'Da United States?

POTUS

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:03 PM   #37
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
PODUS?

President Of 'Da United States?

POTUS

Oops... must have been that Mai Tai I was sipping while typing that.

BTW... here's a response from Patagonia to an email I sent...

On 11/21/2012 3:09 PM, CUSTOMER_SERVICE wrote:

Dear David,

Thank you very much for getting in touch about something you and we care about. We hope you'll reconsider your decision to stop buying from us, but our position on national monuments and wilderness remains what it has been for forty years.

We think that some lands need to be set aside and the human impact on them should be light in order to give the land a rest, and the animals and plants on it a place to live.

Sincerely,

Patagonia
A Few Past Bikes
: 2003 Suzuki DRZ400E | 2012 BMW K13S | 2009 KTM 990 Adventure
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:06 PM   #38
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,864
Quote:

Dear David,

Thank you very much for getting in touch about something you and we care about. We hope you'll reconsider your decision to stop buying from us, but our position on national monuments and wilderness remains what it has been for forty years.

We think that some lands need to be set aside and the human impact on them should be light in order to give the land a rest, and the animals and plants on it a place to live.

Sincerely,

Patagonia
Screw them. How much wilderness is enough? I bought my brother a nice patagonia sweater for x-mas. I'm taking it back and telling the store why.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:17 PM   #39
Pariahtize
Miscategorized

Oddometer: 1,185
Quote:

Dear David,

Sincerely,

Patagonia

Yeah, that makes sense. . . . I suppose that's why they support expeditions into pristine environments. Those mountaineers and rock climbers, and "trekkers" (et al) never leave piles of trash (and shit) behind. . . never place bolts into rocks. . . never create new trails. . . never use vehicles and burn fossil fuels. . . never promote/propose that their customers follow suit and "explore". . . never support exhibitionistic people who unlawfully disregard laws put in place to protect the environment (ex: no climbing on the arches within Arches NP). . . never make profits from "destructive recreation". . . never get involved with bias politics (oops!). . . .

Hey, at least they aren't hypocrites!
Old 11-21-2012, 06:17 PM   #40
COXR650L
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,433
So I think if nothing else we should show the retailers we are listening, and maybe a few will pull out.

As I talked about earlier, I set up a petition and I think for it to have any weight it should have 1000 signatures pledging to boycott all the listed retailers. Once we get 1000 I will forward all the signatures and comments to each retailer with a letter explaining what the National Monument Designation really means and how many of their customers do not support this (if someone else wants to write the letter feel free).

Here is the link to the petition

I am working on getting some face book buttons added, but post it to what ever social media site you can. This would be a huge loss, I cannot imagine loosing that much area in one swipe of the pen just because a letter is sent to the president.

Westfest 2013
Canyonlands Adventure Ride
COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #41
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 4,862
Here is an accurate description of what they are trying to do overall:
http://www.sierraclub.org/habitat/do...anyonlands.pdf
Old 11-21-2012, 06:31 PM   #42
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,864
Not letting me sign the petition. I've tried two e-mails.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:44 PM   #43
COXR650L
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
Not letting me sign the petition. I've tried two e-mails.
What did it say was there an error? Is anyone else not able to sign it?

Should I just make the email optional or is that adding some authenticity to the petition????

Westfest 2013
Canyonlands Adventure Ride
COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:21 PM   #44
Fred Garvin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
petition

Seemed to work for me. Just signed. Is there some way to get this issue and our attempts to fight it out to the other regional forums? Seems a lot of people from all over use this area at one time or another. At least it will make them aware that this crap could be in their back yard some day soon. Then they may be needing our help.

Fred Garvin screwed with this post 11-21-2012 at 08:27 PM
Fred Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:38 PM   #45
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Garvin View Post
Seemed to work for me. Just signed. Is there some way to get this issue and our attempts to fight it out to the other regional forums? Seems a lot of people from all over use this area at one time or another. At least it will make them aware that this crap could be in their back yard some day soon. Then they may be needing our help.
Yes, many of us from other states frequently go to this area that is under threat. I'm even a COHVCO member due to CO riding trips. These people pushing these agendas are never satisfied, so it seems. I added my name to the petition.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote