ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 05:58 PM   #16
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: The great state of confusion
Oddometer: 4,118
Ok ... let's see if I can combine the continuation of the hi-jack at the same time I try to be helpful:

On the headlight ... yeah I've only used 55W OEM/equal bulbs and my reflector is hosed.
At the 3-year mark on the warranty I got a shrug and a "it's not bad enough that I can get anything done" ...
I'll be looking for a wrecked unit with good reflector, but wonder it it's worth the effort ... but ...
Like Reaver I'm cheap enough to try and it's not an urgent matter for me yet.

K4L: If you get any satisfaction with the rep. please let us know!

Ok ... now getting back to grips..............
I would either temporarily or permanently mount a voltage indicator to the bike....
and see if voltage drops under use... sometimes stators will short intermittently due to heat or whatever.........
your could either rig up a $3 Harbor Freight voltmeter for a while and watch it, or put in a permanent monitor.
Here's the one I used:
http://f800riders.org/forum/showthre...mp-GPS-adapter

If it is really BOTH grips I find it hard to beleive that both of the heating elements actually have shorts but for reference here is the repair article: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770662

Sometimes when very cold it seems like the left grip on my bike is not working, but then I realize that's the hand I take off the grip to dink with my helmet or visor, use the clutch, or whatever and that lets the grip cool down ... as it gets a cold air blast........
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:24 PM   #17
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer
 
Reaver's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Tronna area, Ontario Canada
Oddometer: 2,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Sometimes when very cold it seems like the left grip on my bike is not working, but then I realize that's the hand I take off the grip to dink with my helmet or visor, use the clutch, or whatever and that lets the grip cool down ... as it gets a cold air blast........

Yeahhhhh............No.

The left grip is snug to the handlebar (heatsink) and gets to warm up the whole thing. The right grip is somewhat isolated (insulated) on a plastic carrier for the throttle operation and retains more heat.


__________________
Now with only 1 Triple Black.
Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:59 PM   #18
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: The great state of confusion
Oddometer: 4,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
Yeahhhhh............No.

The left grip is snug to the handlebar (heatsink) and gets to warm up the whole thing. The right grip is somewhat isolated (insulated) on a plastic carrier for the throttle operation and retains more heat.


I have the foam grip-puppies which makes it worse in terms of heat transfer rate .........

Edit:
I have a dead left grip in the garage and just dug it out of the box ...
the plastic "mounting sleeve" under the heater element is almost 3/16" thick, so there is some insulation value ...

JRWooden screwed with this post 11-21-2012 at 05:39 AM
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:19 AM   #19
h2only OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Nebraska
Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post

Ok ... now getting back to grips..............
I would either temporarily or permanently mount a voltage indicator to the bike....
and see if voltage drops under use... sometimes stators will short intermittently due to heat or whatever.........
your could either rig up a $3 Harbor Freight voltmeter for a while and watch it, or put in a permanent monitor.
Here's the one I used:
http://f800riders.org/forum/showthre...mp-GPS-adapter

If it is really BOTH grips I find it hard to beleive that both of the heating elements actually have shorts but for reference here is the repair article: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770662

Sometimes when very cold it seems like the left grip on my bike is not working, but then I realize that's the hand I take off the grip to dink with my helmet or visor, use the clutch, or whatever and that lets the grip cool down ... as it gets a cold air blast........
thanks, I will give that a shot.
h2only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:12 PM   #20
guzzimike
Beastly Adventurer
 
guzzimike's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Them Thar Hills WA Australia
Oddometer: 1,381
ts the ABS working OK?
There seems to be some correlation between two.
__________________
Armageddon Was Yesterday, Today We Have a Problem

East is East & West is West 2008
http://www.advrider.com/forums/ad.php?t=400050
A Long Weekend 2009
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523893
All the Way to Nowhere & Back Again. 2010
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619683


Save 5 bucks on your Smugmug, use my discount code
hQo9Atub1N9jg

guzzimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014