Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2009, 07:31 AM   #16
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,045
I think I might print out your, uhhh, instructions, and, keep them with my spare
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:37 AM   #17
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,241
I like that snowscum. The aluminum rear sprocket would have go to though.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:25 AM   #18
PSO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
I have read that u can store the belt using the same methode as a band saw blade.
PSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:40 AM   #19
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSO
I have read that u can store the belt using the same methode as a band saw blade.
It seems to work well. Factory manual gives all kind of cautions about not bending belt, etc. so people were hesitant to try it. One guy on Badweb with an 1125R bought a new belt and coiled it this way, then stored it under the seat for ~3 months. Then he installed it on his 1125R to see if it would fail prematurely. IIRC last time I checked he was up to 8000 miles with no problems.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:50 AM   #20
Paint shaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Great write up!!!!

For those that don't know, there is no need to loosen the belt tensioner to change the belt. The axle is tapered and the belt will become loose as you losen the axle. I removed my belt guards on my other Buells, but am leaving them on the Uly. I found it helpful to losen the top belt guard on the Uly for tire changes.

www.paintshakerracing.com
Paint shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 02:51 PM   #21
RedUly
Esse Quam Videri

Oddometer: 5,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin
Thanks for posting this. Guess I'd better shore up the tool kit and get a spare belt. I have 20K on my "lifetime" belt.
Change your belt, and the original becomes your spare.
I think people who are that bad at lying are probably too stupid to be taken seriously. - #18
You're a slut. But you're cute, so it's ok. - MayQueen
RedUly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 02:56 PM   #22
RedUly
Esse Quam Videri

Oddometer: 5,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2
Nice write up. This is kinda off topic but could someone describe what a good touring tool kit would have in it.
Also how do I store the belt on the bike so I don't damage it. Anyone have a picture of how too store it?

Thanks, Murf
Murf,

I don't remember what I put in my tool kit, but I constructed it by changing the belt and noting each tool I needed. Also put in the wrenches needed to adjust the clutch, and things like that.

This worked ok to store the belt, but I believe there is a way to roll it up so it takes much less space.

I think people who are that bad at lying are probably too stupid to be taken seriously. - #18
You're a slut. But you're cute, so it's ok. - MayQueen
RedUly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:09 AM   #23
BadWHooper
Quick, rather than Dead.

Oddometer: 220
When the bad news of 10/15/09 came down, I ordered a spare belt just in case. It wasn't in stock at my dealer, and it looks like it's going to take a total of five weeks to come in from back-order. I'm guessing a lot of Buellers ordered some spare parts around the same time as well. Just a heads-up - though I'm not expecting my belt to break (who does?) - it would be a bummer to be off the Uly for weeks waiting for one to come in. That's another reason to have more than one bike.

Solo Around Scotland (BMW R850R); AZ and UT (H-D Road King): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=744536l; Death Valley & Vegas (BMW R1200GS): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=926499; NW Colorado (BMW K1200GT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955168
BadWHooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:12 AM   #24
SkiFastBadly OP
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadWHooper
When the bad news of 10/15/09 came down, I ordered a spare belt just in case. It wasn't in stock at my dealer, and it looks like it's going to take a total of five weeks to come in from back-order. I'm guessing a lot of Buellers ordered some spare parts around the same time as well. Just a heads-up - though I'm not expecting my belt to break (who does?) - it would be a bummer to be off the Uly for weeks waiting for one to come in. That's another reason to have more than one bike.
Hmmm well I just ordered a belt today from American Sport Bike. I'll be interesting to see how long it takes to get it.

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:17 AM   #25
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFastBadly
Hmmm well I just ordered a belt today from American Sport Bike. I'll be interesting to see how long it takes to get it.
You should get an e-mail letting you know within ~30 minutes. Al and Joann are first class.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:21 AM   #26
sireland67
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedUly
Murf,

I don't remember what I put in my tool kit, but I constructed it by changing the belt and noting each tool I needed. Also put in the wrenches needed to adjust the clutch, and things like that.

This worked ok to store the belt, but I believe there is a way to roll it up so it takes much less space.

I see you have the most important part: A flash light to see what you are working on. Been there done that trying to fix a bike using the headlight off of another bike, it does not work too well.
sireland67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:27 AM   #27
wbrisett
hmmm....

Oddometer: 320
Check that screwdriver of yours. The $100 kit does contain the torx you're looking for to get most of the torx off. I thought they didn't have it either, but each bit flips over and so does the screwdriver insert. I suspect you're simply not pulling one of them out and flipping them around.

Wayne
Old 11-15-2009, 12:00 PM   #28
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,140
That would be like this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSO
By far the easiest way to carry a Uly belt, IMHO. Minimum radius is much smaller than in the "tri-fold" shown... Fits in side case for day rides; or in the end of my dry-bag for camping trips.

The belt "wants" to fall into the tri-fold; it's much easier than a bandsaw blade. Plus there are no teeth to cut you

--Doc

1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:15 PM   #29
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,712
I just replaced my belt today.

For those that are not aware, DO NOT USE THE BALL END OF THE HEX TO LOOSEN THE SWING ARM BOLTS. If you do, hilarity will not follow.

Thankfully, my belt broke 2 blocks from my house and I was able to coast right into my driveway. I had a belt that I bought last Spring, so I am all set. Putting the new one on was a bitch. I can see putting some miles on it and putting another new one on and keeping the used one as a spare. I would not have wanted to do that on the side of the road.

and I am bumping this because I followed the instructions in the 1st post.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:45 PM   #30
1TrackSam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Gonna replace my belt with a new one when I do the rear tire and bearings. Keep a stretched one as the spare.
1TrackSam is offline   Reply With Quote