Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 06:53 AM   #16
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Unlimited View Post
I am 90% sure that your problem is just clogged injectors as ebrabaek says you will most likely need to have them removed and cleaned with a special tool for our micro mist injectors.
In my first 1,000 miles with this bike I had it happen to me about a dozen times. the last 39,000 miles have been issue free with new injectors and regular fuel treatments. They cleaned the old injectors and I keep them as carry spares.
Do you think the 2nd set are a new design?
Or just due to the fuel treatment?
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #17
Tebpac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Sorry guys.....

Just writing it the way he explained it to me., but yes, the fuel pump controller sounds right. Getting this second hand. I'll pass along the info on the injectors as well. Thanks
Old 11-22-2012, 12:51 AM   #18
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Do you think the 2nd set are a new design?
Or just due to the fuel treatment?
The new injectors are the same design but us F800GS owners need to understand that with the micro mist injectors it is easy to clog them or restrict them enough that they wont start a bike after it was just running and still warmed up.
The little aluminum oxide particles from our fuel pumps pass thru any filters but can bridge and trap in the micro injectors and this can clog fuel flow enough to prevent restarting. So they need cleaning if you use high ethanol content fuels like we have in the USA . The injector tapping trick with a wrench proves to be an effective restarting method that has worked for me many times. I think 2 stroke oil or other fuel additives that can clean and lubricate metal surfaces seem to work well for my injectors.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:51 AM   #19
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Unlimited View Post
The new injectors are the same design but us F800GS owners need to understand that with the micro mist injectors it is easy to clog them or restrict them enough that they wont start a bike after it was just running and still warmed up.
The little aluminum oxide particles from our fuel pumps pass thru any filters but can bridge and trap in the micro injectors and this can clog fuel flow enough to prevent restarting. So they need cleaning if you use high ethanol content fuels like we have in the USA . The injector tapping trick with a wrench proves to be an effective restarting method that has worked for me many times. I think 2 stroke oil or other fuel additives that can clean and lubricate metal surfaces seem to work well for my injectors.
Thanks Indy I just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed a design "enhancement" !

Advance Auto has a sale running right now - buy one bottle of Techron system cleaner @ regular price $13.xx for 20 oz,
and get 2nd bottle for a buck... I've loaded the boat
Old 11-23-2012, 04:59 PM   #20
Tebpac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Update...

Just got another text from my friend. Apparently BMW (or the dealer) found low pressure to the injectors. Dealer will put some miles on the bike after replacing the fuel pump controller and pump. Injectors will be next if any issues.........
Old 11-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #21
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,726
More and more I am thinking these pump/injector issues are clogged filter issues.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:58 AM   #22
Joely
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I have a 2009, bmw replaced my fuel pump for free out of warranty period. No problem starting now.
Joely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:06 PM   #23
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joely View Post
I have a 2009, bmw replaced my fuel pump for free out of warranty period. No problem starting now.
When the dealer replaces the fuel pump (unless I'm missing something) they are replacing the entire assembly, using P/N 16 14 7 723 151 (for ~$500 USD). The assembly includes the fuel filter so ...
root cause: filter vs. pump is not known.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:27 PM   #24
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,149
If you are out of warranty and paying out of pocket, imagine the cost of an alternator, a fuel pump, maybe a fuel tank, and a cam chain?
Do the math and you are looking at the cost of a good, clean, used bike.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:02 PM   #25
Tebpac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Latest update....

Just got the latest info on the bike in question... New fuel pump and controller were put in. Reprogramming done. Fuel injectors cleaned and working properly. They test rode it for 3 hours and seems to be working fine......Time will tell. Thanks to all for the input....
Old 12-03-2012, 09:36 PM   #26
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

That would have been about $800 bucks right there, no?
Now, imagine the time and expense importing the items into a 3rd world country.
The F's are a risky idea for an RTW bike.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #27
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 817
Bluhduh My 800 Allllllmost Starts

My 800 has been starting a little slower lately, so I thought the battery might be getting weak. Load tested it at 13 volts. This morning I cranked it over and it burbled like it wanted to run, but wouldn't catch. Battery was happy to do a lot of cranking, but no go. It's low on gas, but I've run it down to 9 miles remaining before and it says 21 right now. I dumped in a liter that I carry as a spare sometimes. No joy.

I run Chevron gas about half the time, dump in some Techron if I haven't been. Also dump in some SeaFoam if it's going to sit a while. It did sit a couple weeks, but I've ridden close to 200 miles since them.

I'm going to tap the injectors, then try the battery charger trick when I get home.

Any other ideas ?
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:08 PM   #28
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Sure!
This could be a classic case of an ailment not covered by Obamacare.
It might be time for bypass surgery.
Cut, slice, and splice the bypass around the Fuel Pump Controller.
If you ain't smelling gas, you'll be payin out the ass is the Motorrad expression for this one.
Fuel Pump Controller goes south, you are stranded unless you bypass it or happen to have a $150 spare part in your tank bag.
Google the following, "Tim Cullis fuel pump controller bypass" and give it some thought.
Mine went with no warning last Saturday and not under the most ideal circumstances. But thanks to Tim, I was able to ride it home and order a new one.
Just before you snip those leads, be real comfortable with your troubleshooting skills and splicing into thin wires ability and think manly thoughts and remember there is no going back.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:39 PM   #29
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 817
Bluhduh Grrr

Thanks for the input. Reading this thread, I was fearing the pump controller and may just pop for the Burns Moto fixer cable as a backup. Me and solder, we just don't get along too well.

However, I went home for lunch and the sumbitch started . I'm a little afraid to ride it anywhere and park it, though. Should have some time over the holly days to mess with this.
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #30
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Hell no! Don't do that!
Start it up and ride to the BMW dealer, ask kindly for an old fuel pump controller that has gone kaput.
Gut it and roll your own cable like on that link to Tim's method.
Then you can zip tie it to a handy spot under the seat along with a nice little T-10 key and if it really does go tits up lights out on you, you can impress anyone standing around with your mechanical know how and wizardry and solve the problem in about two minutes.
With great knowledge, comes great power, it might even get you laid!