Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #31
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve68steve View Post
Strange design? Pervert nature? Don't those criteria eliminate Strom itself?

+1...and then some...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:44 AM   #32
Vt-Stromer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 810
I love this thread. Having owned a Wee from new for 5 years now, many points are spot on. The two biggest problems with the V are the seat (got a Russell) and the Suspension (still working on it.)

If you can't have two bikes, fixing these two problems will leave you with thousands of extra dollars, and reliability to spare.

I ride allot 2 up and pine for a Stilvio, I'm not sure I could get rid of the Wee even then. I have dropped it off road many times, never broke anything and don't really care if I do at this point.

Dump a Stilvio, I would rather not.
Vt-Stromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:36 AM   #33
Blue88
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by keystiger View Post
Sure get the Strom cause Tigers never make it around the globe.
http://poorcirculation.blogspot.com
I did have to change a headlight bulb on the Tiger after crossing Siberia ... so even Tigers have failings

''What bike is better or equal to a V-Strom 650'' . The V-Strom is a lovely motorcycle, and so are it's competitors. Asking a group of adventure riders which is a better adventure bike is like asking them what your favourite colour should be ..... Just follow your heart and buy the bike that YOU are most comfortable with .. The grass is seldom greener on the other side of the automotive fence, it's just cut in a slightly different pattern.

Geoff
www.poorcirculation.blogspot.com
Blue88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #34
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
New Cycle World magazine test of the BMW 700GS, Versys, NC700X and DL650 rates the Suzuki best, though the article was a pretty lightweight piece of fluff. It did conclude with a comment about WeeStrom owners wearing socks with sandals. I would have thought more BMW owners would fall into that category.

-dman
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #35
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,404
And this just after Motorcyclist recently choose the Versys over the Wee in an equally light-weight review...

Go figure...

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #36
glass3222
StromTrooper

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by No False Enthusiasm View Post
And this just after Motorcyclist recently choose the Versys over the Wee in an equally light-weight review...

Go figure...

NFE
I did not get the same conculsion from the article. Here is a quote from the last paragraph in the article:

In the end, these two middleWeights are perhaps more different than they are similar. The Kawasaki Versys is a poor man’s Ducati Multistrada—an all-day comfortable sportbike in adventurer’s clothing. The Suzuki V-Strom is a working stiff’s BMW GS—a proper adventure-tourer that’s just a set of saddlebags away from circumnavigating the globe. Both are amply supported by the farklemarket for luggage and add-on lights and all the adventure-toury stuff, the Suzuki arguably more so. Which one of these is right for you depends entirely on what you want from a motorcycle.

Read more: http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/co...#ixzz2E8pNhIls
glass3222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:29 AM   #37
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass3222 View Post
I did not get the same conculsion from the article. Here is a quote from the last paragraph in the article:

In the end, these two middleWeights are perhaps more different than they are similar. The Kawasaki Versys is a poor man’s Ducati Multistrada—an all-day comfortable sportbike in adventurer’s clothing. The Suzuki V-Strom is a working stiff’s BMW GS—a proper adventure-tourer that’s just a set of saddlebags away from circumnavigating the globe. Both are amply supported by the farklemarket for luggage and add-on lights and all the adventure-toury stuff, the Suzuki arguably more so. Which one of these is right for you depends entirely on what you want from a motorcycle.

Read more: http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/co...#ixzz2E8pNhIls
I agree with you.

I read that article when it first came out and I had the feeling that the DL was more heavily weighted towards the adventure stuff and the Versys better at tar. Kinda of an extension of the KLR vs DR 650's DR better when the going gets tough.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:08 PM   #38
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,404
Maybe I'm being a bit hard on the young whippers writing for Motorcyclist...

I'll go back and re-read the article.

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:27 PM   #39
vermin
unrepentant thinner

Oddometer: 541
wee truth

Lotsa better bikes but none are equal....
vermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #40
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by No False Enthusiasm View Post

Go figure...

NFE
And Cycle World gave it to the Strom. Hard to give a toss about magazine stuff.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:31 AM   #41
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,865
When Rider magazine tested the 2012 V-strom , one of the testers bought that bike. I suppose you've heard of "putting you money where your mouth is" ?
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:44 AM   #42
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,758
I have had my 07 Wee since new and can't think of anything I would replace it with except the S10. That said, after a few adjustments to the wee, it really can't be trumped. Fork springs, intiminators or emulators, fork brace, a new shock and some choice tires make the bike phenomenal. No major reengineering necessary. I wish it would clean itself. That is it.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:08 AM   #43
Baron650
650x2

Oddometer: 121
Yeah, if you eliminate all the competitors then the Wee is the only choice. Why is that fun?
I replaced my TDM850 with a Versys in the spring of 2010. Short wheelbase, sporty suspension, and punchy power delivery all conspire to make it a really fun bike. Not that you can't have fun on a Wee, but that's not the first adjective to jump to mind. It's virtues are more, um, practical. Like a center stand.
Baron650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #44
motorat
TBD

Oddometer: 904
i have had my '08 strom for 18 months and put 32k on it.
wondeful bike.
i have had a 955i tiger and still think the BRG green tiger is the best looking bike i have ever owned.
the things that made me sell it were: upgrade in fuel (89 or 91)
gas mileage - usually about 42mpg
me- no self control

it's hard to think of a bike that will do all the strom does as efficently.
regular gas
53-63mpg
good wind protection
and a comfy (russle) seat

when the bike gets 100k i think i will look around again, and probubly get a 2014 vstrom 650
Old 12-08-2012, 04:37 AM   #45
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron650 View Post
Yeah, if you eliminate all the competitors then the Wee is the only choice. Why is that fun?
I replaced my TDM850 with a Versys in the spring of 2010. Short wheelbase, sporty suspension, and punchy power delivery all conspire to make it a really fun bike. Not that you can't have fun on a Wee, but that's not the first adjective to jump to mind. It's virtues are more, um, practical. Like a center stand.
It's mostly the tyres. Wee still comes with crappy old B-stones, why is totally beyond me. They're not dangerous as some say, but they're not good either. But I got rid of them right away on my 2012, put Michelin pilot road 3's on (full street tyre), and couldn't be happier. I say it now gets very close to a Versys in handling.
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote