Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #16
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
Alright you guys have me convinced. Now I just gotta find one. Last month I looked on my local craigs list and there were 4. Now zip..these little suckers seem to go fast. Can anyone comment on the legroom on the helix vs the silverwing?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:57 PM   #17
Wentwest
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
I've owned a Helix, and sold it because it gave me a sore back. I'm more comfortable on a sit up scooter, and I ride Honda CH250 Elites now.

I do wonder about the Yamaha Morphous. It just looks so space age - like George Jetson might come motoring by any moment. Are they as solid, reliable and as well built as the Helix?

Wentwest screwed with this post 11-22-2012 at 09:39 AM
Wentwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:26 PM   #18
bandito2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
The Helix is about the most comfortable to ride bike I've ever owned. Sold it to get money for an ultralight aircraft engine
once upon a time and sometimes I miss that red "sweet 'n low" beauty. With 244cc and a 10" rear wheel, its not quite as
fast as the Reflex with its 249cc engine and 12" rear wheel. I think they quit building/importing to north America both the
Reflex and the Helix in 2007 but parts are still quite available for both. Though I must say it seems Reflex parts are easier
to find than Helix parts. (check out part dealers and CL or ebay to confirm that.)

I would ride it from here in SE MI. to Oshkosh WI. without too much trouble but always felt that it didn't have quite enough
guts to handle expressway speeds. It could get up to about 70 mph if there was no wind and stay there all day long. (just
a little faster if one could manage to draft behind other vehicles. Not a good idea I know, but at the time it is what I
needed to do to get someplace in a reasonable amount of time.) The tail lights are kind of low and a concern by many
owners and often remedied by adding lights higher up, usually to a top box.

Maintenance is a piece of cake and usually only needs regular air filter replacement and oil, drive belt and tire changes. The
valve check/set/reset usually happens after an initial break in period. Shouldn't be an issue now since virtually all Helixes
have made it past that point. Relatively easy procedure if it still needed it though.

One thing you may need to be aware of; that is if the later models are the same as the early models anyway. And that is
that the rear brake is operated by a floor pedal and not like a lot of the newer scooters with the rear brake being operated
by a lever on the left handle bar. You may want to check various other scooter forums that may deal more specifically
with the Helix for more info.

Its been quite a while since I last rode a Helix. But even back then I thought it had enough leg room. I like to stretch out
in full feet forward style.

Good luck scooter hunting.

Some shopping help for you:

http://claz.org/all.html?q=Honda+Helix

http://www.cycletrader.com/New-Or-Us...=Honda%20Helix

http://www.wheelbynet.com/docs/moto/...oped%2FScooter

http://www.adhuntr.com/2012/05/all.h...dr=a&sa=Search

http://www.reachoo.com/search?utf8=%...ds=Honda+Helix
"Darkside" Honda Reflex. "Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."
bandito2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:55 PM   #19
HandKPhil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
The Mighty Helix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentwest View Post
I've owned a Helix, and sold it because it gave me a sore back. I'm more comfortable on a sit up scooter, and I ride Honda CH250 Elites now.

I do wonder about the Yamaha Morphous. It just looks so space age - like George Jetson might come motoring by any moment. Are they are solid, reliable and as well built as the Helix?

Mine hurt my back too, after an hour or so of riding. Overall, an awesome scooter for it's time though. As someone mentioned in an earlier post, they are sorta "flexible". Between the long wheelbase and the primitive front suspension, they can be a little squirmy. Mine also tended to follow cracks and seams in the pavement, at least when the tires were worn or under-inflated.

My biggest beef with the Helix (and almost all older Honda scooters) is the bystarter, or electric enrichment device. Mine all seemed to fail - repeatedly. My Helix developed a tendency to spew raw fuel out of the carb's overflow tube on hot and/or humid days. It took lots of time, effort and money to finally trace it down to a bad bystarter, and by then my love affair with the Helix was over.

I'm sure if a person bought a new, perfectly functioning Helix back in the 90's, they would have fond memories of a nice scooter. The Helix was/is definately more than the sum of it's parts. Even though mine was ragged out and needed frequent repairs by the time I came to own it, I could see that it must have been a great bike when it was new. The gauges and lights alone were years ahead of their time.

Having said all that, I always wished for just a little more power out of my Helix, and a little better front suspension.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:42 PM   #20
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,415
While valves do need to be kept track of, they do not usually need to be checked nearly as often as the book says. My '08 Vino 125 with 24,000 miles has had the valves adjusted once, and then just to get them perfect. They were within spec. And that is an engine half the size of the Helix, and run at WOT 90% of the time. I check the intake every 1000 miles when I change the oil, because it is right under the oil filler cap. I do not use any timing marks, just make sure the valve is completely closed. The Vino has a kickstarter to turn the engine over with.

I would not hesitate to buy a Helix in decent condition at the right price. If I had a choice between a brand new Helix and a brand new Elite 250, it would be a toss up, mostly because I like the looks and maneuverability of small short scooters. But the Helix would definitely be more comfortable on a long ride, which is what I mostly use my scooters for. I am currently setting up my Zuma 125 for long distance non freeway touring.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:15 PM   #21
Warney
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13DrozfGnOc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzNYI...eature=related
The carburetor flange installed on newer models eliminated the common problem with the intake boot cracking. I would recommend using Honda OEM replacement parts. Bikebandit or Service Honda is your friend.

Warney screwed with this post 11-21-2012 at 09:34 PM Reason: Added another link.
Warney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:08 AM   #22
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,414
I own 2 and after 20 000 miles they are sill great . Weak point to look for is swing arm bolt holes. At least for me both helix bottom ones end up broken but for diffrent reasons. 1) dealer forgot to put axle nut back on 2) the second one end up with a hard blow to the muffler and that broke it. Other fault are simple a: Auto bystater goes back . cost 25 bucks. 2) Rubber Carb boot cracks causing bad engine running c) CDI goes but not that often. These are simple cheap things to fix. To find a helix start by google for a cragslist search engine such as search tempest. http://www.searchtempest.com/results...min&maxAsk=max
800 to 2500 buys you one. here a good deal for 900 for one with 7500 miles on it http://augusta.craigslist.org/mcy/3392008082.html one for 1500 with 4500 on it http://greenville.craigslist.org/mcy/3320401103.html

One you buy one join up with the helix yahoo groups . Also search google for cn250 manual pdf. It's the Oem helix manual that the dealers use to repair it. It's been posted on the web. The helix is never going to lack for parts because it's been clone and also 20 plus years of production. if you want to see custom helix then look up custom cn250 fusion . The japan name for it. Lots of interesting parts to be had in Japan. Everything from a roof kit to an air ride kit to make it into a low rider. The highest mileage helix I ve read about is around 100 thousand plus K. It's not even that hard to make up a sidecar for it . Google helix sidecar the duck for pictures. Show what one guy did and also you ll find the yahoo thread on it. Search here and you ll find I ve post allot on the helix to. Anyway the helix is a one of the best used scooters for the price . Speed wise 76 mph can be had but after 65 it's takes a little bit to get that last 10 mph. 62 mpg is what I ve got . 10 L of gas in the gas tank. About the only thing out that that is better is the new nc700.
The stock helix seat is good for 2 or hours of riding depending on how tall you are. At that point you going to want to get gas . You may want to put a sheep skin on it or wood bead mat like you see in cars. Also installing a gell pads could help.

As one guy also post the ch250 elite is also a great scooter . Some part are hard to find . Brake drums , cables , Left floor mat. Own one till it was backed over by a pizza delivery guy. Didn't even offer me a free pizza after doing it. If pust comes to shove at least one guy has use the elite 250 engine in a helix but that's was in Canada where the helix was only sold for 2 years. He custom fad the shocks mounts to make it work other then that it was just a bolt in fit. He even got to use the cb350 shock mod for the elite 250 on the helix . That save 200 plus bucks for high end helix shocks .
:

fullmetalscooter screwed with this post 11-22-2012 at 01:22 AM
fullmetalscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:08 PM   #23
ArtCuisin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
The consensus on the slonaker Helix forum among the serious
gearheads is that you shouldn't even try adjusting the Helix
valve clearances. I know this SOUNDS stupid, but that
has been their finding. If I'm not mistaken (by bad memory),
the actual procedure is done by ear with the engine running,
so we aren't talking too critical. And as long as the engine
isn't ticking while running, then they are within spec!
ArtCuisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #24
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtCuisin View Post
The consensus on the slonaker Helix forum among the serious
gearheads is that you shouldn't even try adjusting the Helix
valve clearances. I know this SOUNDS stupid, but that
has been their finding. If I'm not mistaken (by bad memory),
the actual procedure is done by ear with the engine running,
so we aren't talking too critical. And as long as the engine
isn't ticking while running, then they are within spec!
I just watched a youtube video on valve adjusts...I cannot belive how easy it is! That's fantastic. I tell you I'd rather rather have a bike that is super easy to work on rather than the absolute maximum power possible. The valve check on my vstrom involves removing the seat, tank fairing, and moving the radiator. It's insane. I'm not the world worst mechanic and the entire procedure took my 4 hours.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:00 AM   #25
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

I know the seat on the helix is super low. Do you think someone who is 4'11 could get her feet on the ground, or does the width of the bike take away from the seat height?

Old 11-24-2012, 07:39 AM   #26
Warney
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
I'm pretty sure a short rider would be able to hold up a Helix when stopped.
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/school-SectionTwoB.htm
Warney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:49 AM   #27
S/W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Helix

Loved my Helix around town, although I think a smaller scoot is better for that role.It was a great off highway tourer, just not fast enough for around Boston highways, where the speed limits are ignored by most drivers.It also blows around to much by cross winds and trailer trucks for my liking. At full throttle cars towing full size camper trailers will pass you. I have a Silverwing bought in 2002 which does all duty now. I also got back aches on the Helix, and had to put a back rest on it. It was so ugly, it was cool!!!

S/W screwed with this post 11-24-2012 at 08:52 AM Reason: missed sentence
S/W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:24 AM   #28
Krusty ...
What? Me hurry?

Oddometer: 7,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domromer View Post
I know the seat on the helix is super low. Do you think someone who is 4'11 could get her feet on the ground, or does the width of the bike take away from the seat height?
I think she'd be fine. Get her on one (or a Chinese clone- the seats/chassis are identical) to know for sure.

The CF Moto Fashion and QLink Commuter are easy to find- there are four or five other brands of Helix clones.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:31 AM   #29
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty ... View Post
I think she'd be fine. Get her on one (or a Chinese clone- the seats/chassis are identical) to know for sure.

The CF Moto Fashion and QLink Commuter are easy to find- there are four or five other brands of Helix clones.
One of those qlinks just passed me. I wasn't sure what it was.

Old 11-24-2012, 03:29 PM   #30
Krusty ...
What? Me hurry?

Oddometer: 7,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domromer View Post
One of those qlinks just passed me. I wasn't sure what it was.
It was a Felix (fake Helix)...

You can find deals on them, too. They're not as crappy as a lot of the Chinese junk, but not as good as a Honda, obviously.