User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 05:05 AM   #16
"A"
numbum

Oddometer: 372
Fuel Injection

Is there a kit or conversion that has been successfully done to fuel inject these bikes? I was never happy with the fuel consumption of mine. It would be a good mod I'd imagine if keeping things close to original isn't a priority.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:18 PM   #17
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,311
There`s no kit, but it has been done; fuel economy is excellent on this bike. A very expensive modification though, at least $30,000 went into the build.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia

gsd4me screwed with this post 11-21-2012 at 02:32 PM
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:30 PM   #18
gsd4me
90% bluff

1000cc, 1000(cc) twin plugged heads, 40mm Bings, 5% higher top gear, also gets excellent fuel economy and an easy 550km per tank. The only time my 1100GS beat it for economy was on the Strzeleckie Track when we ran at about 80 kph to conserve fuel so my bike could make it without running out.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:03 PM   #19
Just Dan
Bugger, Burnt toast

Oddometer: 1,874
Like most other people. I also would like an early model gs. Sadly the days are long past the normal income people can afford a gs.

Even the US are asking stupid prices for a 80gs. How much are they asking?

$23,000 us for this
http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/mac...s.aspx?ID=4412

Old bikers don't get old by accident.
Just Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:28 PM   #20
fayeslane
Rankest of amateurs

Oddometer: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Dan View Post
Even the US are asking stupid prices for a 80gs. How much are they asking?

$23,000 us for this
For $23K I will sell you an R80G/SPD, an R80g/s and throw in an R80ST
BMW R80G/SPD
BMW R100TIC
fayeslane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:15 PM   #21
hoss18 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Like all things the price of something that is no longer made is the price that someone is willing to pay.
hoss18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:57 PM   #22
hoss18 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The start

The strip - Gentlemen avert your eyes (she is only 28yrs old)

sorry about the sideways image cant seem to get photobucket and this site to agree on format (photobucket shows it correct way round - I think its a bloody Northern Hemisphere thing, they think we see everything upside down.)

See http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/k...lemen/web1.jpg for more

hoss18 screwed with this post 11-21-2012 at 08:01 PM Reason: photo link
Old 11-21-2012, 10:09 PM   #23
McCardigan
happy Budda

Oddometer: 2,945
Every now and again, my stars line up and the God of motorcycles smiles down on me!

Bought this 2 weeks ago in Auckland, this is the 6th GSPD I have owned, and is by far the quiest, smoothest motor and gearbox I have ridden. Bought sight unseen after a tipoff from a friend Thank you Ian.
The bike was an Australian import, bought by a Kiwi and shipped over on his yacht, and spent most of its life on an Island off Auckland, dirt roads and exposure to sea salt was its diet.

Alex the seller, spent a lot of time detailing the bike, fixing oil leaks etc. He did a fanstastic job

It came with the original dual seat in very good condition, slight wear marks on the tank, a full Staintue exhast system, kick starter on gearbox, front fork brace, panniers and a new rear Wilbers shock.

I replaced the tyres / tubes and battery and fitted ascreen and hand guards. The bike is now registered and insured in my name. Rode the bike from Katikati to Invercargill, almost 2000k's the way I came, and only problem was/is an intermittant charging problem, I suspect corrosion on terminals due to its salt exposure, or failing rotor brushs. It consisently gets 15/16kpl, which gives it a range of 490/520k's.

When I return to Katikati, we will replace the entire main wiring loom(about $200 ex Motorbins) and fit a 450W charging system, and improve the front brake.

And the cost of the bike? $5350NZ, $4400Aus!!!

This is me and my new German girlfriend Heidi on top of the Crown Range coming into Queenstown. Life dosent get much better

I'm doing a bit of a story over on the New Zealand, hope to upgrade it tonight, with lots of photo's.

And proud 7th Day Adventourist
McCardigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:23 AM   #24
"A"
numbum

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD4ME View Post
There`s no kit, but it has been done; fuel economy is excellent on this bike. A very expensive modification though, at least $30,000 went into the build.

That looks superb! Can't bing ya shins there. Who dunnit?. I assume the throttle bodies etc are from 1100 or 1150 BMW twins (don't know much about those bikes). What I do know is that owning a X- Challenge and F650 twin, any thing under 20kpl is now no longer acceptable.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:25 AM   #25
gsd4me
90% bluff

It`s one of Ray Peake`s fleet, this years border run was its first real trip. Yeah, I think the throttle bodies are from an 1150.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:25 AM   #26
Morro
like a ship in the night

Oddometer: 245
Nice find Chris.

I have just had my gearbox rebuilt and replaced my diff. I got a brand new diff out of the US as the old ones crownwheel & pinion were starting to decay/fail leaving a lot of metallic sludge in the oil. Gearbox needed output bearings. I rebuilt the cush driveshaft as well. Diff cost me approx $A1700 landed at home & combined with the rebuild gearbox worked out similar to getting my just old diff completely rebuilt in Oz.

Not bad still being able to get brand new parts for 28 year old bike.

Morro

Quote:
McCardigan Today 04:09 PM
Every now and again, my stars line up and the God of motorcycles smiles down on me!

Bought this 2 weeks ago in Auckland,
Morro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:46 AM   #27
Beemerboff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,299
I've had 610 km out of a tankfull on my twin plugged 1000 cc G/S PD.

When I bought it it was running as rough as a Boars bum, and I set out to get it running smoother.

The guy who did the 1000cc/ twin plug conversion for the PO said that the roughness was unavoidable when a 800 was upgraded to 1000cc, and the PO believed him, decided he couldn't live with it and cut his losses and I came by the bike for a reasonable $4,200-.

A couple of weeks, a lot of very careful tuning , a Boyer Micropower ignition system and it was the smoothest, fastest and most economical of all my bikes.
Gets up my test hill as fast as my mates original air/ oil cooled GSXR750R , and 35 km faster than the XT.

It has done 360,000 km incl two fully laden RTW'S , no sign of any frame failure yet, so it wont be getting any frame strengthening any time soon.

Shock is a WP,, fitted by the PO, not a patch on the Ohlins on my GS.

Front forks were worse than dismal , but a SJ top triple, Flatracer tubular brace and decent synthetic fluid has improved them to the point that they are better than the forks on the XT.
Which isnt saying much, but some folks have fitted XT forks to airheads and report a big improvement-----.

It had a recently rebuilt box, with hi 5 and lo1 , but these were thicker than the OEM gears, and the guy who rebuilt the box( cost $2,600-) just screwed the end cover down on them, so the shaft bearings got so hot they were turning on the shaft. Twenty thou ground off first gear, all new spacers,washers, circlips and shaft and it now shims up fine.

Good move getting a new harness, but the sub harnesses go too. I eventually ended up replacing all the switchgear, regulator, relays, starter and battery leads - if I was doing it again I would do it up front and get it over with. The $100- starter from EME has lasted 3 years/80,000 and is going as good as the day it was fitted, and that is a lot better than a tired old Bosch. The Motobatt which was fitted at the same time is still perfect too.

It has a 320mm disk on the front with the OEM caliper spaced out to suit - with EBC HH pads and a 12 mm MC it pulls up OK.

Mitas E07'S suit me, the bike and the tracks I ride very well.

Have fun!
Old 11-23-2012, 11:23 PM   #28
McCardigan
happy Budda

Oddometer: 2,945
Thats a bloody good economy, best I have done on my PD with Sidenbrock 1000cc barrels and twin plugging, but no altered gear ratio's is about 17kpl, or about 550k's. Its got the 450w kit and a Harrison 6 pot front brake which pulls you up as quick as a twin disc set up.

My bike in NZ is getting 15kpl which I'm very happy with. Not going to bother fitting a big bore kit.

A tip that I have found, regular change of needles and jets about 20,000 or so, makes the bike run easier and keeps the economy up. They are cheap and dead esay to change. You can't beat an airhead for ease of maitenance. My new F800GS has better attributes but I cant work on it. If it stops, its hello Mr BMW Assist

And proud 7th Day Adventourist
McCardigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:45 AM   #29
hoss18 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well the frames have gone off to be strengthened slightly modified etc. Unfortunately the guy who does this is extremely busy and doesnt know if he can get to it before xmas. Just have to wait for good work. The painted parts have been prepped and off to the painters - they are due back in about two weeks. The heads have gone off for dual plugging. Have ordered a whole stack of parts, now its a lot of hurry up and wait.....fun fun fun

so far it will have
HPN style frame stengthening
Enduralast / Enduraspark system
Front forks from R100GS but with RR Racetech (HPN type) cartridges
50mm drive extension
Dual plugging - heads will also be flowed and cc'd at same time.
deeper oil pan
complete new wiring harness
new lights/indicators (old ones stuffed)
new starter motor
modified carbs (different float system) plus overhaul
gearbox +5th and -1st gears
oil resistant clutch plate
bottom end balanced etc.......
+every bearing, seal and rubber part that I come across - learnt the hard way, false economy not to.

more photos as the parts come back
Old 11-24-2012, 01:56 AM   #30
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,844
The 1000 Seibenrock kit makes them more interesting. Depending on the fuel level it can pick up the front wheel off the throttle.

They deliver a lot more yummy boof through the middle, much smoother than a stock 80. I had a warm 90S and this thing goes a lot harder.

davorallyfan screwed with this post 11-24-2012 at 02:02 AM
davorallyfan is online now   Reply With Quote