User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-22-2012, 04:25 AM   #11
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

Oddometer: 1,568
so i was late leaving so my day 1 (monday 4th june) was gonna be a northbound bitumen squirt...

i was late leaving but i was finally set and off...

in the few months of PM banter and organisation i'd let the guys know my spot address... and i'd saved Sundowners spot link on my phone...

It was a wet day as i left Adelaide up highway One toward Port Wakefield....

the rain chased me most of the way but didnt catch me...

i got to Port Augusta without getting wet... although there was lots of flooding around Port augusta and Sterling...

i knew Sundowner was heading up the inside of the ranges... and it looked like it was real wet over there...

I checked Sundowners link to see where he was and it looked like he hadnt left yet....

i continued on to Quorn checked his link again.... still no signs of life... it was mid afternoon....hmm...

he had to have left.... i figured since he had borowed the spot from another inmate he hadnt got tracking
working properly.... i text him to let him know he hadnt activated tracking properly......and went looking for
some earplugs as i had forgoten in all the lead up rush to get a new pair... i bought what i was a bit afraid of, but
turned out to be the best pair of plugs ive ever had and hit the road again...
it looked like id make Parachilna at sunset....at that would be 650-odd kms and so enough for one day...

i made it to a wet Prairie Hotel at Parachilna just on sunset...

i checked my phone and had a message from Sundowner that he hadnt left yet....but was hoping to by 4pm!

i settled in at the bar, had a few beers, booked a donga for the night and chated to other travellers...

3 blokes came in and sat at the bar for a few... and getting talking, one was a photographer, one was high up
in ARB and the other was a driver... they were out here from sydney with 2 new 200 series landcruisers kitted out in
ARB gear for a photo shoot... i chatted to them for a while, particularly the photograpeher (michael) and to cut a long story
short, he went and unpacked his gear, pulled out his cleaning stuff and spent a good half hour cleaning out my camera....
so finally no more dust bunny!

i'd had a few more texts from Sundowner, and let him know where i was... i didnt think he should get this far, but he was adimant he would...

about 11pm i called it a night and hit the sack...

with still no sign of Sndowner.... but his spot was still moving...

i woke up about 3am for a weeeee... there was a message from Sundowner asking if i was still up... nope... i checked his spot
and there was an 'ok' checkin.... so he'd gotten 'somewhere'

i wasnt sure where he was as i didnt have a 'smartphone' so i couldnt see a map... i just could see co-ordinates and a brief address..

i went back to sleep....

==

the next morning (tues 5th) i punched Sundowners co-ordinates into my gps.... bloody hell he'd gone a long way off the road to bush camp...

I packed, had breakfast, got my photo taken a thousand times by grey nomads who chouldnt believe you could go away for 10 days with so little... and headed off..

i figured i'd head into Leigh Creek and fuel up, hit the bakery at Copley for breakfast then upto Marree then upto Lake Eyre North for the night.... then tomorrow it would be 450km of dirt to meet everyone at camp...

i checked Sundowners spot, and unsurprisingly....he wasnt up yet..

i fueled up at leigh creek...then cruised up and turned into copley....

heading up the main street, i glanced to the left as i passed the camp ground...

and saw a mighty bohemoth that i recognised.... i hung a u-turn and pulled up behind sundowners bike...

i walked inside where Sundowner stood deep in conversation with the campground manager...

i was surprised to see him here.... but turns out i had entered his co-ordinateds in a diferent format...
he hadnt bush camped afterall but stayed here the night and was just about to leave...

good timing...

Sundowner fueled up, the bakery was closed and we headed off...

a quick stop at the Leigh creek open-cut then on to Lyndhurst...

i went down to the pub to check the road conditions across the birdville track etc as i knew a few inmates were coming over that way for Finke too, also to grab some cash from the pub...
road was still closed to trucks...

i caught upto Sundowner at the Ochre pits, just in time for his phone to ring...

so out in the middle of no-where..... who else would call but indian telly-marketers....

the pits...

GoneAgain is offline   Reply With Quote