ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 03:48 AM   #1
rossguzzi OP
990 Adv.
 
rossguzzi's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Bottom left hand side of OZ
Oddometer: 762
Gaskets O rings for carbs

Do I need to buy any just to alter the needle ?
Cheers
rossguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:13 AM   #2
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....
 
DSM8's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Glendora, Ca
Oddometer: 3,594
Depends on age and condition of carbs sudco can provide you with most individul parts google them.
__________________
DSM8 - A different kind of mean
SQL > SELECT finger FROM hand WHERE id=3
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...d5LbKWMz6cHxaH
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:40 AM   #3
cjracer
AWD please!!
 
cjracer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Mukwonago, WI
Oddometer: 3,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossguzzi View Post
Do I need to buy any just to alter the needle ?
Cheers
No, the small o-rings that cause gas leakage are on the gas inlet barbs.

You won't be near those when you adjust needles.

Inspect the diaphram and make sure its seated properly when reinstalling the black plastic cap. These can rip with age.

We have all these items in stock if you need them.
__________________
My 2006 950S thread. 2006 950s update
New product updates here! Wordpress BLOG
click www.cjdesignsllc.com for the full line of products. FREE STUFF!!
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:14 AM   #4
geometrician
let's keep going...
 
geometrician's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: West-By-God Virginia
Oddometer: 1,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracer View Post
No, the small o-rings that cause gas leakage are on the gas inlet barbs
I've found the only time the four o-rings on the brass 90-degree elbows leak is when the carbs have been off for a length of time. Upon turning the engine stop switch to "run" & the fuel pump running, they leak.

However waiting several hours (overnight usually) when you try again the o-rings don't leak. Seems the gasoline causes them to swell & they fix themselves... DAMHIK

CJ, good to know you've got the o-rings in stock, they're tricky to find!!!

take your time & all should go well; make sure you use a quality screwdriver so you don't damage the Phillips scews.
__________________
Britt
'06 KTM 950 Adv 'S'
'03 KTM 250 EXC
'87 KLR650 - <200K miles "Like the Energizer Bunny, just keeps going & going..."
geometrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:33 AM   #5
rossguzzi OP
990 Adv.
 
rossguzzi's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Bottom left hand side of OZ
Oddometer: 762
Thanks for the info, one more thing......

Should I try to get the 2 carb vent hoses into a more 'still air' place than just under the air box? I have read doing a 2 into 1 with a small filter can cause probs. I was thinking of doing this and tuking the filter up under the dash somewhere.

The symptoms I am trying to fix is a slight surging at highway speed around 4000 rpm. Worse in gusty wind conditions.
Also picking the revs up slowly in neutral they take off at around 3000 and shoot up to 5-6000
Starts fine(warm weather here) pops a bit on decel, standard filter with prefilter, valves done, fuel pump Faucet, 95 octane, 42 pilot jets, Gualdi slip ons.

I was thinking of raising the needle, lowering the clip one notch. If this dosn`t work, I will try 43 pilots.

Also the TPS I will be checking. One of these things must make it better......and smoother. At around 5000 she buzzes quite a lot. I feel it in the footpegs, tank and seat. :(

How does that sound to ye of knowledge ?

rossguzzi screwed with this post 11-22-2012 at 07:57 AM
rossguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:51 AM   #6
Sporting Wood
I <3 Energizer Bunny
 
Sporting Wood's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Horneytown, NC
Oddometer: 861
Stock jetting? They tend to come lean at cruise rpm, 4000.

ALSO, I have a bag of those weird sized o-rings in viton. Anyone who needs any, let me know. I've sent a bunch of them out to folks here already. Price = free / owe me a beer. Send me a SASE, pm for address.

Sporting Wood screwed with this post 11-22-2012 at 03:29 PM
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:38 PM   #7
rossguzzi OP
990 Adv.
 
rossguzzi's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Bottom left hand side of OZ
Oddometer: 762
As far as I know it is stock jeting. The mech that did the valves checked the jets, not me.

Incoming PM re o rings . Cheers.
rossguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:48 PM   #8
Sporting Wood
I <3 Energizer Bunny
 
Sporting Wood's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Horneytown, NC
Oddometer: 861
Surging is most often a lean condition, but can also be vents, sync, a missing hose on one of the intake taps, pinched carb grommits or a loose carb boot. If it didn't do it prior to the wrench, somethings loose. If its not a fault with assembly, and it did it prior to the wrench, you've likely got f'd jetting...and if you're running the prefilter with stock settings thats likely your problem imho.
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:31 PM   #9
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem
 
Head2Wind's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: NorthWet Washington
Oddometer: 2,473
7/32" vacuum hose (not fuel hose), front 11" and rear 10", will run down through the bottom airbox and terminate down next to the starter. Works well, 100s of 1000s of miles with this setup.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rossguzzi View Post
Thanks for the info, one more thing......

Should I try to get the 2 carb vent hoses into a more 'still air' place than just under the air box? I have read doing a 2 into 1 with a small filter can cause probs. I was thinking of doing this and tuking the filter up under the dash somewhere.

The symptoms I am trying to fix is a slight surging at highway speed around 4000 rpm. Worse in gusty wind conditions.
Also picking the revs up slowly in neutral they take off at around 3000 and shoot up to 5-6000
Starts fine(warm weather here) pops a bit on decel, standard filter with prefilter, valves done, fuel pump Faucet, 95 octane, 42 pilot jets, Gualdi slip ons.

I was thinking of raising the needle, lowering the clip one notch. If this dosn`t work, I will try 43 pilots.

Also the TPS I will be checking. One of these things must make it better......and smoother. At around 5000 she buzzes quite a lot. I feel it in the footpegs, tank and seat. :(

How does that sound to ye of knowledge ?
__________________
“The mind is sharper and keener in seclusion and uninterrupted solitude. --- Be alone, that is the secret of invention; be alone, that is when ideas are born.” - Nikola Tesla
2006 KTM 970 frankinADVsmSD
ADVmachines™ Proven Solutions for your Worldwide Adventures...www.ADVmachines.com
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014