Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 05:30 PM   #71401
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagLite View Post
You are good to go.
The sound is probably just some of the small pieces from the donor bikes pistons when they disintegrated.
There really is nothing inside there to come loose.
The mid baffle plate and two short tubes welded to it.
All wrapped by a perforated tube with a thin permanent sound deadener between it and the shell.

Sweet! $40 shipped
B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #71402
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 555
I have been in question about a tank vent problem also.

TravelGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
Someone might have said this already: Any bike that I have had that would start when cold...run for a bit...then shut off and not re start until time has passed has for me always been a gas tank vent issue. Next time it does it make sure the tank is venting correctly. Take the cap off and try starting again. Also, make sure your fuel lines are not near the cylinder head. I never heard of a bike having fuel vapor lock from heat boiling the gas, but it sounds like you have checked everything else...

I have never been inside of a TM38 so I don't know how the float needle is hung on the float. On some carbs if the float is not hung EXACTLY how the manufacurer reccomends it can hang/stick in its little tube. Most often this results in a lean condition but still runs or will start and quit as soon as the float bowl runs out of gas. Edit: I looked at the carb link you provided...doesn't look like it can go but one way. hmmmm.....

Do we need to send an Old Priest and a Young Priest and have an exorcism? I'm sure you can find someone to swing a dead chicken over that thing! Good luck brother.
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:32 AM   #71403
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Have you actually read Jay's Ride Report? Go read it. Then you'll realize how far ahead of you Jay is. He's forgotten more about DR's than most of us know ... or will ever know. (this is his 3rd DR650)

Jay is also an engineer and a very good tinkerer in his own right. Once you've read the WHOLE Ride Report you'll know where his bike is at, what's been done ... and just how competent he really is.

Trust me, Jay is on the case ... whether it's fuel or electronics?
Are you a betting man?
Yet, he's asking us
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:46 AM   #71404
GTR27
n00b

Oddometer: 3
So im new to this forum, and new to adv riding, but am considering an adv bike for my next steed. I have just written off (not my fault) my owned from new 06 GSXR1000, and thought it might be time for a change. i loved the gixxer (had handlebars and a swag of other mods) but sadly, it was taken away from me in a accident.

Currently, 95% of my riding is commuting, but i was hoping to spend a little time exploring, now im over the need for speed. since im new to dirt (have ridden some dirtbikes in a padock, but ill still consider myself new), i was thinking of a smaller adv bike.

some options ive considered now are

DR650
KLR650
Husky TR650

I have a budget of about 11K AUD, and cant ride till mid jan at earliest next year (broken hand requiring pins and plates, and a broken wrist). as mentioned commuting in traffic, along highways (100kph) and normal streeta (60) is the norm, with the odd trip off road. Once i finish uni, and back in a high paying job, ill look at r1200gs etc, but for now, cheap, functional and good are requirements.

Here in oz, the klr and dr are about 2k cheaper than the husky, but the husky looks to be better std.

So since this is the dr thread - why should i buy a dr?
GTR27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:16 AM   #71405
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR27 View Post
......... but for now, cheap, functional and good are requirements.
I think you summed it up. Glad you escaped with moderate injuries compared to the alternative. Your post smacks a little of "I'll consider hanging out with you poor bastards until I can afford to buy the BMW romance" but there are folks on here with unlimited resources that just love the DR for it's simplicity and just plain fun factor.

The DR vs KLR debate has been ongoing for years and there are threads about it. The new KLR is a different animal than the more dirt worthy older style (pre 2007..? ).

Some here have had both so they may chime in. Both will serve you well bone stock and will serve you a long time with minor mods. I haven't read on the Husky. I've gone off the deep end and modified my DR as much as one can without touching the basic engine. Others ride theirs with a big smile as it came off the showroom floor. That's part of the fun IMO....making it your own.

Good luck on the search and heal quickly.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:39 AM   #71406
Anklyne
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Hey guys,

I joined the DR650 family a couple of days ago

'06, 25,000km, came with a Sargent seat and a few other goodies. It's in great condition considering the mileage and how much I paid for it. Unfortunately I'm still on a restricted license (<250cc) so I haven't given it a good shake-down ride yet, but my mate rode it the 50km from the PO to mine and he said it rides well.

I've taken the rack off temporarily while I remove the vertical part of it (really don't like the idea of having that near my back). I've got a few mods in mind already, so I'll be going back through this thread and having a good read.

Here's a piccy:
Anklyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:09 AM   #71407
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Still in progress. 3 more days ahead of us.
--> http://drriders.com/topic6350.html
Nice fix on the bushing,its fun to play with metal.
Bummer bout the swingarm cracking,has it been welded already?
I once rode my DR from Chico to DV,put a fresh 606 on the rear on a picnic table as soon as I got there,rode 400 miles in and around DV,then rode it home. My windshield and pelican boxes are quick dis-connect so they came right off for the dirt. The DR is one of the few bikes that does that sort of ride easily,it ran 80mph all the way home and did all the dirt just fine out there. 1800 mile jaunt in about 5 days and 50mpg all the way.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:52 AM   #71408
Feelers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
So im new to this forum, and new to adv riding, but am considering an adv bike for my next steed. I have just written off (not my fault) my owned from new 06 GSXR1000, and thought it might be time for a change. i loved the gixxer (had handlebars and a swag of other mods) but sadly, it was taken away from me in a accident.

Currently, 95% of my riding is commuting, but i was hoping to spend a little time exploring, now im over the need for speed. since im new to dirt (have ridden some dirtbikes in a padock, but ill still consider myself new), i was thinking of a smaller adv bike.

DR650
KLR650
Husky TR650

I have a budget of about 11K AUD, and cant ride till mid jan at earliest next year (broken hand requiring pins and plates, and a broken wrist). as mentioned commuting in traffic, along highways (100kph) and normal streeta (60) is the norm, with the odd trip off road. Once i finish uni, and back in a high paying job, ill look at r1200gs etc, but for now, cheap, functional and good are requirements.

Here in oz, the klr and dr are about 2k cheaper than the husky, but the husky looks to be better std.

Go to the store, and sit on all 3 bikes. Beg, borrow, or steal test rides if you can! I was set on the KLR for a continent crossing trip, but I just couldn't get excited about it. I went to the store and sat on a KLR trying to convince myself that it was good, but its bulk just bothered me. A DR650 was sitting 2 bikes over, so I sat on it just to see what it felt like, and I knew immediately that I preferred it over the KLR. The mechanical simplicity, excellent air/oil cooling system, and many other reasons led me to buy the DR. If I had a choice between the 3, as you do, I would probably stick with the DR, but I'd definitely give the Terra a chance as it seems to be a pretty awesome bike, and the msrp here is only about $500 over the KLR I think.
Feelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:57 AM   #71409
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Yet, he's asking us
I was thinking the same thing here. Adv Grifter, maybe you should read the post as well..............
Old 11-22-2012, 09:06 AM   #71410
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,042
Quote:

DR650
KLR650
Husky TR650
The DR has simpler maintenance, screw valve adjust vs shims under buckets. The Husky no doubt has better suspension but is less proven and more complex, not sure what its' valve routine is but I imagine shims and overall higher maintenance. I have had a KLR, and a Husky 250, but neither for nearly as long as the DR. I road the KLR 2100 miles in 3 days across the US and I drove a borrowed DR from Melbourne to Perth, both worked. Have driven both in the dirt and the DR is just a whole lot more fun. The KLR is a good tractor but in comparison a slightly modified DR is a little hotrod
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000,, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, 1965 Bridgestone 90!
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:11 AM   #71411
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,406
Quote:

DR650
KLR650
Husky TR650

You come into this thread knowing that we're likely to be biased, so that's good.

Why the DR? It's simple. It's durable. It's lighter in the dirt. Parts are available and affordable for maintenance, repair, and upgrade. The issues are pretty well known and sorted. This isn't a bike that will take a home-mechanic over a week to fix, whereas some more-complicated bikes have stumped a dealer shop for MONTHS.

The KLR and TR are supposed to be more oriented towards pavement, but I think the DR is even a better foundation for a road bike than the KLR. The DR engine tends to be smoother, the DR tends to respond better to mods, and the DR isn't prone to burning oil...even running near redline. The DR can be built for over 50WHP, while I've never seen a KLR dyno graph of similar power. Even a 40WHP DR with a pumper carb can feel pretty peppy though. The air/oil-cooled DR also isn't prone to overheating like an air-cooled or a water-cooled bike is, and the oil-cooler can be bypassed, in a pinch, if it gets damaged. Try that with a radiator and you'll have problems.

I wouldn't want to drop a TR in the dirt like I drop my DR. Parts are not likely to be as cheap or as available. I doubt that the KLR or TR would be as durable when used as a dirtbike either. Both the KLR and TR are also over 400lb, and the KLR valves need shims if adjustment is called for. I don't know about the TR, but the DR is screw/locknut that is simply adjusted.

If you're going to stay on pavement and/or close to civilization, keeping the bike fairly stock, I'd be taking a long look at the TR. It reportedly has good power and a smooth engine for a thumper, and I believe ABS is available to you in Oz. That Rotax engine is a fuel miser too. If you're going off the pavement or away from civilization much though, I'd be very biased towards a modded DR...Throw on an 8gal tank, a comfy seat, and maybe a windscreen if you want to go long distances at slab speeds. There are MANY more aftermarket parts available for the DR right now too, and nobody knows how long Husky is going to offer the TR. By the time the aftermarket sells a decent selection, Husky may terminate it. Suzuki has been selling the same basic DR since '96. Parts are all over, and the DR is generic enough that even parts from many other bikes are easy to adapt. Many people swap on fully-adjustable dirtbike suspension, fenders, pumper carbs, etc. The DR can REALLY be changed from stock pretty easily.

Do you want a modern near-stock commuter that you can play with in easy dirt, or do you want a simple and affordable roughneck bike that will go anywhere with maybe a bit less style? Range Rover or Land Rover? Me? I wouldn't want to scratch the Range Rover. You may want more posh.

Kommando screwed with this post 11-22-2012 at 09:17 AM
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:05 AM   #71412
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by refokus View Post
I was thinking the same thing here. Adv Grifter, maybe you should read the post as well..............
Read the Post? What post are your referring to?

If you mean Jay's Ride Report ... I've read it ... and his previous one as well where he blew up a DR in Alaska.

Over the years I'm sure Jay has accumulated lots of knowledge and got tips from this thread ... among others. It is the wise man who uses his friends and their broad knowledge and creative ideas to solve the unsolvable.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:28 AM   #71413
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:

DR650
KLR650
Husky TR650

Good choices. All three can commute just fine. The Husky is brand new so a bit untested. Hopefully it won't carry with it the many BMW problems from the F650/G650 on which it is based. IMO, the forks are under spec'd for off road use. (CORRECTION: Husky wisely went with 46mm Forks ... not the wimpy BMW ones) The Husky is the clear beauty in the bunch ... and has sharp clocks and switches ... and a great look.

But how tough is it? The BMW's aren't very ...
You do realize the Husky motor is a modified BMW G650 motor, made in Loncin, China. Husky claim more power and very good fuel economy. To me, the fuel economy is a very good reason to look at the Husky. How the bike will hold up to abuse and miles ... ? Unknown.

If you plan to rack up high miles commuting and are a novice dirt rider ... then buying a NEW bike would be very silly indeed.

I'd buy used no matter what. Save the big money for your R1200GS.
(they are over $20,000 USD now)

I've owned both the DR and KLR, as many here have. I prefer the DR650 for a number of reasons already stated. But a very well set up KLR can be a very good bike too. I've ridden a couple fine examples that made my stock KLR feel like JUNK. But the DR also responds well to a few well placed upgrades. Very good value IMO, trouble free and fun on easy off road.

As a novice dirt rider I would start on every easy dirt roads. No deep sand or rocky mountain terrain to start. A smaller 250cc bike is preferable to learning dirt riding.

Go ride a few bikes, see what works. Lots of Fish in the sea. Take care of your hand. Hope it heals up well!

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 11-22-2012 at 12:59 PM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:21 PM   #71414
GTR27
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Thanks everyone for the great replies! While long term I could see myself on a GS, I dont consider the other bikes (and their riders) as lesser for choosing a bike right for them. I've never ridden a GS so I may not even like them!

At this stage I would consider a lower milage DR secondhand (as I do all my maintenance myself) as I have had 3 suzukis and all were unkillable (except for the aforementioned accident). Probably should have mentioned that commuting accounts for 15000k's a year for me - hence wanting a lower k bike.

Ideally a cheaper secondhand dr, plus a set of rims &street tires with the ability to change to more dirt oriented ones for my adventures would be good. the lower price of the DR helps this along.

I love to tinker, so along the way I woul look at some likely mods -
Larger tank - i ride 300+k's a week and would prefer to fill it once.
Brakes - had brembos on the gixxer and loved them! (aftermarket)
Exhaust & airfilter - cheap performance
Seat mod - comfort
Suspension (get it sprung and valved for my weight)

I knew the husky had a bmw engine, but wasnt aware of any issues on newer versions of them. Any thumper I buy will be less than 1/3rd the power of the gixxer, but as long as its spritely enough to 100(k's - 62mph) i'll be happy.

This is my only vehicle so i will take reliability over outright performance! Would love to get a dirt only 250 and play, but cant afford champagne living on a beer budget (i'd say goon budget but most guys from the us wouldnt know what that was ha ha!)
GTR27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:05 PM   #71415
Chill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anklyne View Post
Hey guys,

I joined the DR650 family a couple of days ago

'06, 25,000km, came with a Sargent seat and a few other goodies. It's in great condition considering the mileage and how much I paid for it. Unfortunately I'm still on a restricted license (<250cc) so I haven't given it a good shake-down ride yet, but my mate rode it the 50km from the PO to mine and he said it rides well.

I've taken the rack off temporarily while I remove the vertical part of it (really don't like the idea of having that near my back). I've got a few mods in mind already, so I'll be going back through this thread and having a good read.

Here's a piccy:
That's a nice one.
Chill is online now   Reply With Quote