ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #31
elron
Still Standing

Oddometer: 261
Why SAS removal on FI?

I understand the cannisterectomy, these bikes will get dumped and then then the can will flood. But other than very minor weight reduction and yes less stuff 'under the hood', I don't get why you'd want to do a SAS removal on a 990 FI. The ECU is set up for it, you have to 'fool' it into not knowing it's gone so nothing changes ECU wise. And as far as I know the SAS is not causal regarding hesitation and/or performance issues for an FI 990 (except sometimes after you do it). The Secondary Air System is an emission control system, yes...what's wrong with that? Seems a responsible thing to do in this day and age as those who enjoy recreating in the great outdoors.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"
elron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #32
Masa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
AFAIK the SAS system is only used during the warm up period. And if you have an after market exhaust it doesn't do any good to have on. I believe the main reason to get rid of SAS is to clean unnecessary plumbing.
Masa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:47 PM   #33
Katoom119 OP
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,811
The hesitation on my bike was there when I bought it new from the dealer, so the SAS/Canisterectomy didn't have anything to do with it.

I did make it a bit better by installing the crossover hose between the rear cylinder/left side plug and the front cylinder/right side plug that I said to remove and replace with bolts.

That being said, the only way I found to get rid of the hesitation completely was to use TuneECU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masa View Post
AFAIK the SAS system is only used during the warm up period. And if you have an after market exhaust it doesn't do any good to have on. I believe the main reason to get rid of SAS is to clean unnecessary plumbing.
Yep. I put on a set of Wings and didn't need it so I figured I'd get rid of everything while I was at it. I put the Wings on it because the stock exhaust got so hot I honestly could forsee someone being burned on it very badly. You could feel it radiating off the exhaust cans.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:57 AM   #34
trickster
Greek n00b

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom119 View Post

I did make it a bit better by installing the crossover hose between the rear cylinder/left side plug and the front cylinder/right side plug that I said to remove and replace with bolts.

That being said, the only way I found to get rid of the hesitation completely was to use TuneECU.
Thanks for your answer. Since i'm running akra map there's little left to tune through tuneECU. Perhaps it's getting a little rich before revving to higher rpm. I believe when i replace my filter with a cpr like filter i would get more air. Best case would be getting it tuned by a professional but i suspect that there aren't many here in Greece to do such tunings.

trickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:05 AM   #35
trickster
Greek n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by elron View Post

The Secondary Air System is an emission control system, yes...what's wrong with that? Seems a responsible thing to do in this day and age as those who enjoy recreating in the great outdoors.
As others already mentioned it SAS is practically useless after replacing stock exhausts. Also by replacing stock exchausts you get rid of the catalytic converter which is also irresponsible. That makes half or more user of adv forum irresponsible and so on.. but that conversation would be trolling on this thread i'm waiting/getting information
Old 11-20-2012, 12:01 PM   #36
Katoom119 OP
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickster View Post
Thanks for your answer. Since i'm running akra map there's little left to tune through tuneECU. Perhaps it's getting a little rich before revving to higher rpm. I believe when i replace my filter with a cpr like filter i would get more air. Best case would be getting it tuned by a professional but i suspect that there aren't many here in Greece to do such tunings.

I had an Akra map in mine and with TuneECU my tuner went in and just made the Akra map better. I actually got a lot more MPG out of mine.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Old 11-21-2012, 12:36 AM   #37
trickster
Greek n00b

Quote:
I had an Akra map in mine and with TuneECU my tuner went in and just made the Akra map better. I actually got a lot more MPG out of mine.
If i'm not going a bridge too far would you be an open source fan or windows 8 user??
Old 11-21-2012, 09:14 AM   #38
Katoom119 OP
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Don't know what own source is and after many years of Windows I converted to a Mac and haven't looked back.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:47 AM   #39
trickster
Greek n00b

Quote:
Don't know what own source is and after many years of Windows I converted to a Mac and haven't looked back.
I was just querying you if you would be kind to share your tuned map with the rest of us.

As the story goes open source code (meaning linux, unix etc) are made of people sharing code with each other and have made it to be technologicaly on par with windows without paying for expensive licenses and patterns owned by collosal companies. On the other side windows you still have to pay everything. Same goes to apple and macs.

Perhaps you've already gave me an answer by pointing out you're an apple user. In that case cheers to you again, no hard feelings whatsoever
Old 11-22-2012, 04:26 AM   #40
Katoom119 OP
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

I actually don't have the map file but I'll see I I can get it and put it up.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:17 AM   #41
trickster
Greek n00b

Thanks a lot katoom! You are the man
Old 03-22-2013, 01:48 AM   #42
orange spy
diddly squat

Oddometer: 33
I don’t want to start yet another thread for SAS removal problems so here I am

after I did the removal I had some idle problems which I fixed with the 15min reset. However now that the idle problem is out of the way, I noticed another strange thing. At idle, I smell some unburned fuel. It happens in the morning at start up or even at stopping lights. I don’t have any leak from somewhere.

any thoughts?

orange spy screwed with this post 03-22-2013 at 03:58 AM
orange spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:51 AM   #43
Masa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Did you forget to plug the hole in the rear of the air filter box, where the SAS hose was connected?
Masa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:29 PM   #44
Surfdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
FI blinking

Katoom119

excellent write up & pics. I thought I followed it pretty good.
This is my second canisteretomy & sas removal.
But the FI will not stop blinking... any trouble shooting ideas would be greatly appreciated....
Old 09-04-2014, 09:18 PM   #45
deeve
DumbA$$

Oddometer: 1,121
Did you put the resistors in the SAI and canister pumps?