Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 3.86 average. Display Modes
Old 09-08-2012, 08:44 AM   #466
ddavidv
Thrifty not cheap

Oddometer: 1,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmitchell57 View Post
I've got a 351 windsor motor lined up. It's coming out of a mid 60 ford truck.
It may be coming out of a mid 60s Ford pickup, but it wasn't installed there by Ford. Be certain what you're getting. 351W didn't come out until 1969 and it was installed in cars only. The truck used a 352 FE big block.
http://www.fordification.com/tech/engineID-V8.htm

KLR Chronicles, list of my Ride Reports in PA/MD:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post18782262
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:46 AM   #467
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
It is very unacceptable in a 62. I'm doing 3k at 68mph. I dno't think that's good for long periods of time, even on a 221.

I've got a 351 windsor motor lined up. It's coming out of a mid 60 ford truck. I should have it home within another month or 2 depending on other things going on. I fully expect to blow the engine apart and rebuild it eventually. In the next month or so I'm re-arranging my garage to be more car friendly so I can make this happen.

I drove the 62 to work today, about 15 miles. It drove well, but doesn't like the highway speeds. I'm looking at transmission alternatives. I also had another gear head friend give me some ford engine books that I am rummaging through to learn what I can. All in all, once I get the second DD legal, I'll be doing more drastic work on the car.
I see you've chosen the path to madness. Stay in touch.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:20 AM   #468
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,692
>"I've got a 351 windsor motor lined up."

If you want a bigger motor just put a 289 or 302 in it... don't need to mess with the frame then, should be plenty of engines available.

Those were great engines.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:53 AM   #469
AkBrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,621
RE: 3000rpm
If the original engine and drivetrain has lasted 50 years, I'm guessing it will last a while longer with proper maintenance. The speed limits back in the 60's were higher than they are now many places. It's probably worth more the closer to original it is.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:47 AM   #470
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,578
the 221 has tiny pistons and short stroke. It does not mind revving. You do have old tired valve springs, they will be fine at 3K but float will occur early.

You will never recoup the cost of the conversions in fuel savings. You can justify based on the joy of more horsepower, just do not fool yourself that it is cost effective. Maybe when gas is 10.00 a gallon.

These cars are not aerodynamic, they will not ever get good mileage.

Convert to a alternator so you have more amps and go to a good electric fan, that will help a lot. The early fans ate a lot of power for the air they move.
Alternator as stated runs longer between service. Keep the gen and reg. A good core will be valuable someday as the last automotive commutator maker went out of business, and someday restorers will want yours.

An efficient well balanced intake, very small 4 BBl , and new valve springs, can help a bit, might pay for its self if jetted correctly. A 221 does not need duals, but a good 2 1/4 dia single exhaust system with free flow muffler will help and can be cost effective, you will lose a bit off the line though.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #471
SafetyThird
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Quote:
It is very unacceptable in a 62. I'm doing 3k at 68mph. I dno't think that's good for long periods of time, even on a 221.

I've got a 351 windsor motor lined up. It's coming out of a mid 60 ford truck. I should have it home within another month or 2 depending on other things going on. I fully expect to blow the engine apart and rebuild it eventually. In the next month or so I'm re-arranging my garage to be more car friendly so I can make this happen.

I drove the 62 to work today, about 15 miles. It drove well, but doesn't like the highway speeds. I'm looking at transmission alternatives. I also had another gear head friend give me some ford engine books that I am rummaging through to learn what I can. All in all, once I get the second DD legal, I'll be doing more drastic work on the car.
Just an fyi, about 98% of these projects that turn into repowering the car, etc, never get finished. They just languish and are sold for parts. It can turn into a fairly massive undertaking-don't choose it casually.
SafetyThird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:47 PM   #472
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyThird View Post
Just an fyi, about 98% of these projects that turn into repowering the car, etc, never get finished. They just languish and are sold for parts. It can turn into a fairly massive undertaking-don't choose it casually.
That's a wise word of caution.

But I'm looking up options to hot-rod the 221 and not seeing much since it was such a limited run. In the hands of someone with too much money I've got to wonder just how high a balanced and blueprinted 221 V8 could rev (making it like an old-time Formula 1 engine for upper-RPM power), but I see the limitations he is facing.

In that bit of studying, though, it does seem that the weight of the motors go up even though they are only small blocks. As they get larger, stronger front springs will be in order, too.

I thought this was an interesting post for options if E85 is available locally:

Re: 221 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by F15Falcon
If I am not mistaken, the 221 and 260 use the same 2.87" stroke crank as the 289. So at least grab the crank as they are not that easy to find anymore.

That is correct. They also had small valve 45cc chambers in the heads. Put them on a 289 with an RV cam and you have a high compression E85 fuel vehicle. The future of hot rods....oh yea my small block gets better mileage than yours.

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/gara...22-221-v8.html

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 09-11-2012 at 05:53 AM
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:21 AM   #473
ddavidv
Thrifty not cheap

Oddometer: 1,073
Too long without an update.

KLR Chronicles, list of my Ride Reports in PA/MD:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post18782262
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:58 AM   #474