Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 07:48 PM   #16516
kaosrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by waz View Post
Howdy all;

I learned to ride in the dirt many moons ago, but have been riding street bikes exclusively for almost 40 years. Lately, I've got a hankering to get a dual sport to do some off-road exploring.

I've come across 2 prospects on CL: a 1999 DR350 w/ 1500 miles for $2500 (firm) and a 2001 DR-Z400E w/ 4500 miles for $2000.

I've gone to look at & ride the 350, but not the 400 yet. The 350 was in great shape and ran good, but since the 13 yea-old original tires are still on the bike, I'd have to get a set of tires for it, and the valves have never been checked. I think the price is about $500 too high, but the owner is firm on the price.

I don't know what kind of shape the 400 is in, because I'm going to look at it the day after Thanksgiving, but the owner says it's excellent, and the water pump was replaced this past summer. It has Perrelli 70/30 street tires on it, but since I'm planning on doing some serious dirt riding, I would want to get some knobbies.

I thought the DR might be a better pick because it's air-cooled and lighter, but the DR-Z is 2 years newer and at least $500 cheaper (I'm hoping the owner will sell it for $1700, but I'll offer $1500 when I ride it Friday).

This being a 400 thread, I'm sure you're biased; but which one would you choose and why?.(I'm gonna put this on the DR350 thread and get their opinions too)

BTW, what's the difference between an E and an S model?
The E is the off road model and the S is the street legal version. E has a little off road advantage, not a big difference just alittle. The E can be tricky getting tagged if it not already tagged, depending on the State.
The 350 has 6 gears versus the DRZ with 5. The 350 has a bit of a cult following because of the 6 gears and being a little lighter. The later model 350 like the 99 is improved over the earlier models I think in suspension. The DRZ was an upgrade from the 350 in suspension and motor (water cooled) but a little heavier. I have traded off riding both on some trip and could not really tell much of a difference.

Good Luck.
kaosrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:40 AM   #16517
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,333
Quote:
Howdy all;

I learned to ride in the dirt many moons ago, but have been riding street bikes exclusively for almost 40 years. Lately, I've got a hankering to get a dual sport to do some off-road exploring.

I've come across 2 prospects on CL: a 1999 DR350 w/ 1500 miles for $2500 (firm) and a 2001 DR-Z400E w/ 4500 miles for $2000.

I've gone to look at & ride the 350, but not the 400 yet. The 350 was in great shape and ran good, but since the 13 year-old original tires are still on the bike, I'd have to get a set of tires for it, and the valves have never been checked. I think the price is about $500 too high, but the owner won't budge.

I don't know what kind of shape the 400 is in, because I'm going to look at it the day after Thanksgiving, but the owner says it's excellent, and the water pump was replaced this past summer. It has Perrelli 70/30 street tires on it, but since I'm planning on doing some serious dirt riding, I would want to get some knobbies.

I thought the DR might be a better pick because it's air-cooled and lighter, but the DR-Z is 2 years newer and at least $500 cheaper (I'm hoping the owner will sell it for $1700, but I'll offer $1500 when I ride it Friday).

This being a 400 thread, I'm sure you're biased; but which one would you choose and why?.(I'm gonna put this on the DR350 thread and get their opinions too)

BTW, what's the difference between an E and an S model?
the dr350. no shims for the valves, kick start already in place, electrics that don't suck, great power, air cooled, and lighter. if it was going to be a dual sport, id say drz. a 90% offroad, dr3 1/2
Old 11-22-2012, 05:54 AM   #16518
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 891
Quote:
which one would you choose and why?
If you push them hard on the street, the DRZ will leave a 350 so far behind you will wonder if it died (actual results). If you're tall enough, go for the DRZ.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:00 AM   #16519
Carter O
KLR Carter

Oddometer: 29
Body kit

Hi, I'm new to ADVrider & a DRZ that needs new plastic. Can anyone point me where to look, needing blue. Thanks Carter
Carter O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:18 AM   #16520
DRTT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Try Eblag,
loads for sale on your side of the pond,
cheers,
Paddy
DRTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:22 AM   #16521
redirt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter O View Post
Hi, I'm new to ADVrider & a DRZ that needs new plastic. Can anyone point me where to look, needing blue. Thanks Carter
Welcome, I think this is the place .. http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/shop/3/index.shtml
you're welcome Carter.
redirt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:08 AM   #16522
Xylx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Acerbis plastics

Quote:
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...el%253A+drz400

Google drz 400 plastics. I've seen them many places and am always surprised how inexpensive they are.
Xylx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:47 PM   #16523
Carter O
KLR Carter

Oddometer: 29
Plastic

Acerbis @ rocky mtn only has RM sets
Carter O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:16 PM   #16524
AtlasExp
beer me

Oddometer: 421
I am sure I will get answer here! What is widest tires that can be installed on DRZ! May be link to some existing treads? Thanks DRZers!
Old 11-22-2012, 09:09 PM   #16525
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,190
Got a quick oil question, i know i know, just want to make sure is all, please dont shoot.

ive always used the super expensive full synthetic oils such as, royal purple, redline, motul, lucas and mobil one, with this bike needing 2 quarts, thats gonna be $20+ bucks in just the oil every change, my walmart has the non synthetic valvoline oil 20w-50 or 10w-40 (motorcycle specific, wet clutch approved, air or liquid cooled oil)" for only $3.99 a quart, im thinking that oil should be fine in there for a 1000 miles, seems ok?

anyone here ever use that one?
Old 11-22-2012, 09:43 PM   #16526
Chris41483
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Rotella t6

I run Rotella t6 synthetic. Available at Walmart. Not too much more money. But seriously, at 2 qts per change, is the couple bucks a big deal?
Chris41483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:09 AM   #16527
Muddler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasExp View Post
I am sure I will get answer here! What is widest tires that can be installed on DRZ! May be link to some existing treads? Thanks DRZers!
if you mean front, perhaps Cheng shin C183S 3.25/3.50_21
http://202.45.102.66/files/catalog39/CHENGSHIN.pdf
I'm considering one of these after a friend was very pleased with its performance in sand on his DR650
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=837211
Muddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:03 AM   #16528
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150ron View Post
Got a quick oil question, i know i know, just want to make sure is all, please dont shoot.

ive always used the super expensive full synthetic oils such as, royal purple, redline, motul, lucas and mobil one, with this bike needing 2 quarts, thats gonna be $20+ bucks in just the oil every change, my walmart has the non synthetic valvoline oil 20w-50 or 10w-40 (motorcycle specific, wet clutch approved, air or liquid cooled oil)" for only $3.99 a quart, im thinking that oil should be fine in there for a 1000 miles, seems ok?

Bel-Ray Thumper is well worth the to $20 oil change. I mean it last for 3000 mile oils and being confident knowing the motor is protected is worth a few extra bucks........................

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:30 AM   #16529
toadl
toadl

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
They sell blue plastic for the DRZ, except the headlight shroud, no idea where you would get that.

http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/shop/3/4/index.shtml
Old 11-23-2012, 06:36 AM   #16530
toadl
toadl

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150ron View Post

I used that Valvoline in my Kawasaki 500 ninja. I really liked it. Seemed to wheelie better, I think it worked well with the clutch and transmission, of course this was before synthetic was a reasonable price. I know use use Mobil One synthetic. I wonder if it would be better to just go back to the valvoline and change oil more often.