Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 04:31 PM   #2821
SJktmRider
USMC Veteran

Oddometer: 13
thanks man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
Exactly the same top end as the 530's. They held up great if you kept after the air filter and didn't have an early 08 version with weak rings. I've seen one run for 60 miles in a race with no oil. It only needed on rocker and the plastic chain guides replaced. The valve train is all on roller or ball bearings, no slippers, no plain aluminum bearings.

Keep after the air filter. A tiny amount of dirt will effect the intake valves and they'll tighten up. More dirt or sand will get the rings/piston/bore. Get two filters and swap them out frequently. The original TwinAir is better than the NoToil. The Motorex oil is much better than NoToil also. TwinAir has an extra/optional dust filter that works for dusty or long rides. ALWAYS check around the sealing surface to absolutely MAKE SURE you have it installed correctly. It will fit perfectly or it will have a gap big enough to stick your hand in. I'd expect this topend to go over 20k miles with good filter replacement.

A friend has a 2012 500 exc with 7500 miles, mostly two track and pavement. It runs better than mine with 2000 miles.
thanks man for the info
SJktmRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:13 PM   #2822
jar944
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnsnowhawk View Post
Here is what I use for winter riding.
looks like it would be a lot of fun, but id want more motor.
jar944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:18 AM   #2823
mnsnowhawk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
You would be surprised how well they work. As far as more motor, I've got this.
mnsnowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:44 AM   #2824
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett View Post
Trelleborgs are scarce right now here in Canada, there's a waiting list apparently. I'm going to stud up a set myself but I'm wondering about a good tire to use. The lugs on the OEM tires look marginal. I think I need a set that have taller lugs. I'll look into the Maxxis ice tires. Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Garrett
The knobs all ripped off at 1 time on the stock front tire on mine,with not many miles on it,they seem like a weak tire. I would get a set of real tires for studs.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:05 AM   #2825
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
The knobs all ripped off at 1 time on the stock front tire on mine,with not many miles on it,they seem like a weak tire. I would get a set of real tires for studs.
Thanks for confirming that. I had my doubts they'd be any good for studding.

Garrett
Old 11-22-2012, 10:04 AM   #2826
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

HDB fitment issue on the EXC

Hi Folks

Has anyone used the HDB instrument protector for the OE instrument on their EXC? I'm currently installing the HDB handguards, top clamp, LEDs, and protector. The instrument protector wont mount to the top clamp because the swivel bolts are in the way. The XCW probably doesn't have this issue because there are only 2 idiot lights but the EXC has 4 lights and they are mounted lower on the protector so they interfere with the swivels.

So if someone has already gone down this road and figured it out, I'd appreciate the assistance.

Garrett
Old 11-22-2012, 10:11 AM   #2827
juvander
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Had same issue, I just moved the handguard bolts to other holes (can't remember which way it originally was...). After this it is ok.
juvander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:15 AM   #2828
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,061
ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnsnowhawk View Post
You would be surprised how well they work. As far as more motor, I've got this.
I love the snow hawks, want to ride one one day.

watching the youtube videos makes me mad I live in florida
Honkey Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:54 AM   #2829
Night Crawler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
I would like to eliminate the key switch on my bike and don't want to install the push/pull switch from Sicass, and their $5 plug leaves the running lights on all the time. Not sure about the KTM plug. Is there any easy way around this?

Night Crawler screwed with this post 11-22-2012 at 01:56 PM
Night Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:47 PM   #2830
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by juvander View Post
Had same issue, I just moved the handguard bolts to other holes (can't remember which way it originally was...). After this it is ok.
Yes it will work with the handguards mounted in the lower hole but still can't mount the protector in the lower holes. I need to do this so I can mount the ipod switch key on the top clamp. Hmmm may have to shim the protector with washers but tat looks amateurish and the HDB stuff is very slick.
Garrett
Old 11-22-2012, 03:03 PM   #2831
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Thanks for confirming that. I had my doubts they'd be any good for studding.

Garrett
I studded a set of Trackmasters last year with 20mm rally studs and I was pretty pleased with the results.I'm going to build a set with road legal car studs for days when the bare ground is frozen, the bare ground beats the long studs. I was lucky to snag a stud gun a few years ago. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:10 PM   #2832
Stifdickerson2006
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Yes it will work with the handguards mounted in the lower hole but still can't mount the protector in the lower holes. I need to do this so I can mount the ipod switch key on the top clamp. Hmmm may have to shim the protector with washers but tat looks amateurish and the HDB stuff is very slick.
Garrett
I had the same issue. Used the spacers from the stock housing to mount it from the underside of the top clamp and ran the bolts from bottom to top. Worked out great and looks good. If you need a pic I can send you one on Sunday.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:29 AM   #2833
Hueychief
FNG

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
So if someone has already gone down this road and figured it out, I'd appreciate the assistance.
I went down this road and eliminated the high beam and blinker indicator as that's incorporated into the Sicass handlebar switch assembly already.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:36 AM   #2834
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifdickerson2006 View Post
I had the same issue. Used the spacers from the stock housing to mount it from the underside of the top clamp and ran the bolts from bottom to top. Worked out great and looks good. If you need a pic I can send you one on Sunday.
Thanks Stif

I'm not sure what spacers you're referring to, but yeah send a pic. I did get it mounted but mounted the protector on top of the clamp and shimmed the protector opposite the Ipod key switch with some washers. It doesn't look too bad.
Garrett

garrett screwed with this post 11-23-2012 at 12:02 PM
garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:40 AM   #2835
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueychief View Post
I went down this road and eliminated the high beam and blinker indicator as that's incorporated into the Sicass handlebar switch assembly already.
Nice looking with everything anodized black. You've got lots of room on the left side of the handlebar as well. The clutch hose is quite a distance from the handguard. Mine is ok but touching.

Garrett