Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 07:47 PM   #3331
airgord
What am I doing out here!

Oddometer: 844
Every time I drove mine it was a 20kt headwind no matter which direction I was going, 11 mpg!
Old 11-18-2012, 11:27 AM   #3332
DaddyBigDaddy
AKA -Evel Kneilson

Oddometer: 314
KTM 620 to 640 pipe swap

I want a 2003 2 into 1 pipe and muffler setup for my 1998 620 Adventure lo pipe setup. I have the correct sub frame to do this. Dealer has pipes set up to do this ($300 pipes) and I think the exhaust flanges are the same.

Any advice or comments? Anyone have stock pipes for sale?
2008 KTM 530 EXC
2004 KTM 450
DaddyBigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:33 PM   #3333
Tonicu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Deco

I've just painted all the deteriorated plastics of my ' 03 640E in the beautiful -to me- 990 adv orange. However, the oem stickers are way too expensive at close to 100€ a set. A local guy can copy any design at a quarter of that cost, so ideas&pictures are welcomed.
By the way, will a '06 690 rhombus shaped headlight fit my bike?
Tonicu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #3334
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonicu View Post
the oem stickers are way too expensive at close to 100€ a set. A local guy can copy any design at a quarter of that cost, so ideas&pictures are welcomed.
By the way, will a '06 690 rhombus shaped headlight fit my bike?
Old 11-22-2012, 07:28 AM   #3335
hillbilly enduro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
How to not pollute the LC4 index?

Hello there...

I've been reading trough half of this excelent thread so far. Lot's of great stuff here. It's mentioned several times, that this is the index thread, which is not to be used as a common questions thread.

Now my question is: How do I most effectively ask LC4 related questions?

Example 1: The CS seal I'm replacing right now. The old one had an outer steel shell. Due to saving time and money, I ordered a new one at my local farmer shop (can you say that?). I told him specifically that it should be with the outer steel shell. Well, I picked it up today, and tadaaa... it was with the inmould shell. I took it anyway, as it's cheap and easy to change again, if any problems.
Is there a reason, that it has the outer steel shell instead of the inmould one? I can only think of wear protection, but on the other hand it's pretty safe, hiding behind the CS???
Actually I would think the inmould would be easyer to install without damaging the bore, an seal to the bore better.

Example 2: I own a 2004 625 SXC. I could only find workshop and engine manuals for the 2003 models. Is there any model updates I need to consider? (changed torque specs, bearing upgrades, electrical, other things...), or could I just use the 2003 manuals without worries?

Should I ask these questions under specific threads, eg example 1 under the: Creeper's LC4 Sprocket Seal Replacement thread, or should I start a new thread about that topic? If so how do I make it most visible to the LC4 gurus out there?

Pretty much same question for example 2...

Would there be room for a LC4 specific chit chat thread in the index, so it wouldn't drown under eg the thumpers index?
It would allso free the index thread for all this chit chat... Sorry if it's allready there and i missed it...

So, there ya' go... I pooped in the LC4 index anyway... Sorry for that guys.

Hope someone can help me out here

Thank's again for an awesome index. There's shitloads of great info here.
hillbilly enduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:40 AM   #3336
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly enduro View Post
Hello there...

I've been reading trough half of this excelent thread so far. Lot's of great stuff here. It's mentioned several times, that this is the index thread, which is not to be used as a common questions thread.

Now my question is: How do I most effectively ask LC4 related questions?

Example 1: The CS seal I'm replacing right now. The old one had an outer steel shell. Due to saving time and money, I ordered a new one at my local farmer shop (can you say that?). I told him specifically that it should be with the outer steel shell. Well, I picked it up today, and tadaaa... it was with the inmould shell. I took it anyway, as it's cheap and easy to change again, if any problems.
Is there a reason, that it has the outer steel shell instead of the inmould one? I can only think of wear protection, but on the other hand it's pretty safe, hiding behind the CS???
Actually I would think the inmould would be easyer to install without damaging the bore, an seal to the bore better.

Example 2: I own a 2004 625 SXC. I could only find workshop and engine manuals for the 2003 models. Is there any model updates I need to consider? (changed torque specs, bearing upgrades, electrical, other things...), or could I just use the 2003 manuals without worries?

Should I ask these questions under specific threads, eg example 1 under the: Creeper's LC4 Sprocket Seal Replacement thread, or should I start a new thread about that topic? If so how do I make it most visible to the LC4 gurus out there?

Pretty much same question for example 2...

Would there be room for a LC4 specific chit chat thread in the index, so it wouldn't drown under eg the thumpers index?
It would allso free the index thread for all this chit chat... Sorry if it's allready there and i missed it...

So, there ya' go... I pooped in the LC4 index anyway... Sorry for that guys.

Hope someone can help me out here

Thank's again for an awesome index. There's shitloads of great info here.
The steel shelled seals are a little more robust than a conventional seal and the sprocket can sometime have junk dragged into it rubbing on the seal... The conventional seal will do the job just fine, that's what I carry in my onboard spare parts kit that I take on long trips... The rear wheel also has a steel shelled seal in it for the same reason, I replaced it with a conventional one long ago and it has been fine....

The 2003 and up SXC will all be pretty much the same other than some having or not having oil in the frame which would make for a different change procedure...

If you have a question and it fits into one of the threads posted in the index then it is best to add to that thread as then your input will become part of thread and may be useful to someone in the future...

If you have a lot of questions or problems it is best to start your own thread as that will make the stuff pertaining to you easy to track and not get it buried up... Make sure your title shows the model/make bike your asking about, then it will not get missed... The most aggravating thing is when people post the same question in 2 or 3 different threads instead of sticking to 1..

Most of the chit chat usually happens in the 640 owners sign in thread...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:42 AM   #3337
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,186
Just ask the questions in the specific thread...........that should put it to the top in the Thumpers section so it will get noticed.

The seal will be fine, just go ahead and use it. The new seal probably has a steel case under the, what you call inmold, coating.

Most of the stuff in the manual for an 03 and 04 should be the same......with a few minor differences....

And since this is the index thread, should I have even answered you here???

Cheers
Old 11-22-2012, 06:47 PM   #3338
Tseta
Lost

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
The steel shelled seals are a little more robust than a conventional seal and the sprocket can sometime have junk dragged into it rubbing on the seal... The conventional seal will do the job just fine, that's what I carry in my onboard spare parts kit that I take on long trips... The rear wheel also has a steel shelled seal in it for the same reason, I replaced it with a conventional one long ago and it has been fine....
Sorry Gunner for being a bit pedantic about this and also for further cluttering up the index, but I'd like to point out a few things about the steel shelled and the so-called conventional seals.

In fact, I've tried to bring up this issue before and everything is well summarized here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=62

Also, the original sources here and especially here.

To summarize, the "conventional" seal is just as robust as the steel shelled seal, as under the rubber coating, the conventional seal also has a steel shell. As far as which one is better, take a look at the links provided for an extensive analysis on the topic...

Cheers,

Tseta
Tseta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:04 PM   #3339
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,890
Hillbily E,

The whole posting process is a little screwed up but those of us that care read most everything, as for your seal, did you do the silicone o-ring too?

The workshop manual is the one and only AFAIK but coupled with you parts books and owner's manual and a computer for ADV rider, it has been enough to see many of us to a strange place(s).

bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:09 PM   #3340
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill View Post
Yep, a 360 and carpeted.

I pray every day for 15 mpg.

"Please god of little things please, 15 mpg."
bill
The days are getting shorter, so is my traveler.

See a KTM Adventure perched here?

Next step, build a back wall and foam the inside.
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:30 PM   #3341
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill View Post
The days are getting shorter, so is my traveler.

See a KTM Adventure perched here?

Next step, build a back wall and foam the inside.
bill
Bill;

That's hilarious.............why didn't you just start with a Smart car and build it up??

I can't believe that is on such a short wheelbase with a 1ton rear axle???
My old race van was a Dodge B350 Maxi Van 15 passenger bus that was gutted to haul 2 bikes/tools in the back........this one makes me laugh.........but..........good for you!!
We even had a funnel jammed into a hole in the floor that was in the middle area of the van..............that way........at least the passenger could take a leak when we were still moving!!

Cheers
Old 11-23-2012, 05:52 PM   #3342
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Mandatory bottle opener install............

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Show us yours!!!

Cheers
Old 11-23-2012, 06:10 PM   #3343
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptarotter View Post
Now you just have to park your bike in the bar!
The Stable
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:19 PM   #3344
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptarotter View Post

Show us yours!!!

Cheers
Sure, between FYYFF and the Canadian flag
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:39 PM   #3345
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tseta View Post
Sorry Gunner for being a bit pedantic about this and also for further cluttering up the index, but I'd like to point out a few things about the steel shelled and the so-called conventional seals.

In fact, I've tried to bring up this issue before and everything is well summarized here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=62

Also, the original sources here and especially here.

To summarize, the "conventional" seal is just as robust as the steel shelled seal, as under the rubber coating, the conventional seal also has a steel shell. As far as which one is better, take a look at the links provided for an extensive analysis on the topic...

Cheers,

Tseta
This is very curious... I am aware that the conventional seal has a metal shell under the rubber coating, whether it is the same thickness as the steel shelled units I never measured... I do have a good selection of the conventional seals in my inventory so going by the info you provided, I will not pause to make use of them when the time comes...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote