User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 09:24 AM   #16
Digiamo
Dan nyc

Oddometer: 805
RideforCambodia

Ditto Georges comments. Thanks Jacl, for the Cambodia RR's I am really enjoying them and getting psyched for this RideforCambodia in January.

Any issues with, oh you know, the usual...minefields, impassable roads, crooked cops?
Digiamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:52 AM   #17
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 719
No, I haven't been stopped by "traffic police" in over two years. Those are the ones in blue shirts, btw.

They may have tried to stop me a few times alright.

Outside the capital it's almost never an issue ans a dollar fixes all, though the greedy ones may ask for $50 to start.

I reckon I could get a few expats up for this - a Khmer speaker makes things a lot easier and funny.

Depending on cash and commitments; I could slap something together for a few hundred bucks that may be fun to ride off road here. Next month will tell a lot.

Mines? No. Minefields are well marked. Not quite the hassle they were a decade ago.
Jacl-Kampuchea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:57 PM   #18
George 99 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Jacl, sure would like to meet up with you. We're gonna need a spot to for a local beer. We're gonna be in country at least 2 weeks, maybe longer as there's no hurry to get back to Thai after the event.

As to bikes, small with knobbies is the recommendation from the event leaders. They have something set up to buy and resell so we won't get stuck with something we have to give away.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:08 AM   #19
Digiamo
Dan nyc

Talking Hotel booked

Just booked a room with two twin beds at the New Siam Riverside for Joe and I from Jan 9th to Jan 15th at which time we can re-evaluate the lodging situation as folks arrive or between now and January.

We don't have to sleep together, Joe...It's optional!

I did not opt for the hotel shuttle service (about 925 Baht) since Joe and I are going to have to meet up at the airport and who knows when that'll happen since we are on two different airlines. If they are both reasonably on-time we will have no problems. Besides, research shows a typical:

Suvarnabhumi Bangkok International Airport (BKK) - Central Bangkok: 200-400 baht, plus highway tolls of 70 baht
Old 11-24-2012, 12:48 AM   #20
Digiamo
Dan nyc

GPS on smartphone with offline maps

I just downloaded https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...V0Lm9zbWFuZCJd to my Sammy GS3 Droid. Then I grabbed the maps for Thai, Cam, Laos and Myanmar.
I shut all data and cell functions off on the phone to simulate "lost in the back hills" and it looks like I have truly off line mapping on the phone.
No need to have a cell or WiFi connection to have a functional GPS system on my phone.

Now that the last of my midnight oil is burning dimly, I can sleep knowing my GPS issues are solved ... at least for now.
I'll get to play with this more on the 'morrow.

Then I can focus on a translator app. :)
Old 11-25-2012, 08:55 AM   #21
George 99 OP
Studly Adventurer

I'll take a look at those apps, Danny. I've downloaded a different one for Cam from I-Tunes and doesn't display a thing. Sez in it's text ya have to be "within the map area" for all the features to work, but none of them?

I also down loaded a free translator from I-Tunes which contains both French and Thai, could prove useful.

This on Deba's ol' I-Phone 3 GS. It will mainly serve as I-Pod and possible back-up device. Still gotta purchase my bigger device.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:15 PM   #22
Digiamo
Dan nyc

Locators schmocators

I would bring my SPOT if I had one. MELLOW offered his to me a second time.
I ran it to Panama and back which was cool but the international ride and being solo somehow stacked the chores at the stops, especially the border crossings. I would be surrounded by "helpers" before I even got off the bike so the SPOT usually took a back seat in the priority list.
I declined JOE'S kind offer with appreciation, going with the understanding that one of us at least would have one and we'd be together generally.
Don't know about smart phone SPOT that works while the service is not available so I will be all ears with regard to that.
This is not a high priority for me but fully understand that others may feel differently.
I am going to know where I am with OSM offline maps on my GS3 phone.
Everyone else can have fun guessing.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:25 AM   #23
George 99 OP
Studly Adventurer

My 'lectronics list:
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7" with OMSAND GPS and Cam/Thai/Laos maps. (I've used it twice with AZ and CA maps, seems to work pretty good.) Also has front 'n rear cameras, WiFi, and g-mail link, book reader, other typical "tablet" apps.
- Unlocked Nokia GSM simple phone for local calls with SIM card.
- I-Phone 3 with more apps and lots of music, mainly for the music but useful as a backup to the Samsung too.
- SPOT 1

All that with charge cords and 12V supply could prove to be a PITA, but it's all coming with.

Still plan to carry minimum stuff, haven't decided on which helmet yet, betting we're gonna be without bike more than with so will have to lug around whatever.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:40 PM   #24
Digiamo
Dan nyc

Immunity

Got a tetanus shot today. Had Hepatitis A and B done two years ago.
I'll get the oral immunities when I get to BKK.
Got a lot done today toward this trip.
Flying JFK to Beijing Tuesday...15 hours without stops, then 5 more to BKK.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #25
George 99 OP
Studly Adventurer

Folks at Queen Saovabha Memorial Institute in Bangkok acknowledged we can get immunities there. That's good news.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:25 PM   #26
VTbeemer
Traveler

Oddometer: 337
Newcomer

Hey guys,

Have been following this ride for a while now. Currently making last minute arrangements to join the group. Will arrive BK sometime around the 17th and travel to PP a little while after that. Was looking at the train as an option...highly recommended in Thailand fast and cheap. Only downside is that one has to transfer to bus at the Cambodia border to finish the trip through to PP since there is no train service in Cambodia, part of the adventure! There is a great website for overland train/bus travel in the area (the name escapes me right now sorry will look for it.)

I will try to book at some of the recommended hotels in BK and PP mentioned previously before the ride. After the R4C will be making my way up to Chiang Mai for riding up in the Golden Triangle area. hopefully run for the Laos and Burma/Myanmar border areas. If a few in the group want to do this we could easily hire a private guide to help things along. Or just wing it.

I will have to post something on the R4C forum page.

If. Anyone wants to email me. Try:

Djzeevt@gmail.com

Luckily my travel immunizations are up to date from my South America trip a while back. For those of you looking a good travel clinic can fix you up with recommendations and shots as needed based on current regional recommendations.

Looking forward to it.

14' R1200GSW- 93' R100GS/PD- F650GS- 94' R11RS
08' WR250R- 95 R100R- K75s- 57' R69
77' R75/7- 06' Ducati S4R Monster- 74' XL 250
VTbeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #27
George 99 OP
Studly Adventurer

Dan, we'll see ya there. Chiang Mai and Laos are on our short list. Considering staying in Cam an extra few days to avoid the coronation traffic in PP.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:06 PM   #28
Nata Harli
Cunning Linguist

Oddometer: 2,546
Got my shots today

Just got back from my doc. I feel like a pincushion but other than that I survived. I've got to get to Costco to pick up my oral meds then I should be all set.

I leave on the 12th and arrive in Bangkok on the 13th (I think!). Crossing the dateline and arrive just after midnight so I'm not sure if it will be the 13th or 14th. That also assumes I make my connection in Tokyo.

I'm booked into the New Siam II which looks like it's just a block or so from you guys staying at the New Siam Riverside. Got a room booked at the Paragon in PP both before and after the ride.

I'm planning on leaving for PP on Thursday. Dan, I'd be up for the train/bus ride but wondered if you'd seen this? http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingn...HBfikWgE.gmail

Looks like there is now bus service all the way between Bangkok and PP. If it leaves in the morning, I'd be interested in taking the bus if anyone else is up for it. Don't want to do it by myself but would enjoy some company. I was thinking of taking the bus mainly to see some of the countryside.

daveg is a neighbor/friend and he is taking a group out on Friday to purchase bikes and start prepping them. I think on Saturday he's going to be rounding up supplies and whatever will be needed for the trip. That's the main reason I'm looking at getting into PP on Thursday.

After the ride I'm pretty open but was thinking about the Chiang Mai area for a while. I've got almost 3 weeks free after the ride and thought about renting some street bikes and touring the area.

Looking forward to meeting up with you guys in Bangkok and then whatever follows.

Ken (nataharli@gmail.com)

No, it's not a Harley , it's a BMW.
Nata Harli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #29
Nata Harli
Cunning Linguist

Oddometer: 2,546
Phones

I ended up with an extra phone while I was in Central America. I'm pretty sure it will work on our trip with the correct SIM.

So, if anyone would like to use it, let me know and I'll bring it. After you get home you can just mail it back to me or pass it on to someone else who can use it.

No, it's not a Harley , it's a BMW.
Nata Harli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:53 PM   #30
VTbeemer
Traveler

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nata Harli View Post
I ended up with an extra phone while I was in Central America. I'm pretty sure it will work on our trip with the correct SIM.

So, if anyone would like to use it, let me know and I'll bring it. After you get home you can just mail it back to me or pass it on to someone else who can use it.

Ken

If OK with you I would like to take you up on the phone offer. I have been wanting to get on like this for a while now. If I can borrow yours I can further delay buying one for myself

14' R1200GSW- 93' R100GS/PD- F650GS- 94' R11RS
08' WR250R- 95 R100R- K75s- 57' R69
77' R75/7- 06' Ducati S4R Monster- 74' XL 250
VTbeemer is offline   Reply With Quote