Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2012, 02:38 AM   #1
Charlie_boringman OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
F700GS - Clutch dragging

Hi,

I picked up my GS on the weekend, and what an awesome bike it is!
However, I've noticed that the clutch drags substantially when the lever is pulled in, making it a lot harder to push around compared to the bike being in neutral.

I've had a look at the clutch cable adjustment and it seems fine, but I'm no expert. I've never had to do any more than adjusting slack in the cable before.
I don't think it's the temperature, it doesn't really get that cold here.
Charlie_boringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:38 AM   #2
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
That 36 k warranty is nice to have. I would check to see if it's really a clutch problem by putting the bike up on the center stand and spinning the wheel in Neutral and trying to turn it in gear with the clutch in. That would eliminate your impression being based on a new and heavy bike. Remember their is oil in the clutch. If it's really dragging, what your describing is not normal. Dave

CheckerdD screwed with this post 11-26-2012 at 08:10 AM
CheckerdD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:49 AM   #3
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,487
Is the engine cold or warm when you are pushing it around. The clutch plates have some stiction when cold and not unusual.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:50 PM   #4
Tosh Togo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
Is the engine cold or warm when you are pushing it around. The clutch plates have some stiction when cold and not unusual.

What he said. Even when fully warmed up, there'll be noticeable drag.

Stop being so lazy, and just put it in neutral before you push.
Tosh Togo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:20 PM   #5
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Oddometer: 2,309
What they said and that most Dealers don't set up the clutch play correct. If you have the clutch lever set to a low postion (girl hands) and the free play is too much, combined the clutch won't fully disengage. Screw the adjuster knob for maximum span of the lever and try that for troubleshooting purposes.

Reaver screwed with this post 11-23-2012 at 06:08 PM Reason: JGoody pointed out my confusion and feels better about himself now
Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
JGoody
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
What they said and that most Dealers don't set up the clutch play correct. If you have the clutch lever set to a low postion (girl hands) and the free play is low, combined the clutch won't fully disengage. Screw the adjuster knob for maximum span of the lever and try that for troubleshooting purposes.
It seems to me if the lever is set close to the bars and the freeplay is low then there might be issues with fully engagement -- if there is too much freeplay and not much travel then full disengagement would be the issue. Or am I mixed up?
JGoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #7
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Oddometer: 2,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGoody View Post
It seems to me if the lever is set close to the bars and the freeplay is low then there might be issues with fully engagement -- if there is too much freeplay and not much travel then full disengagement would be the issue. Or am I mixed up?
I hate people that makes me thinks too much.

The lever adjustment won't have any effect on clutch engagement, only on disengement. Too much free play affects disengagement only. A low lever adjustment with too much freeplay will make it hard to push in gear with the engine off, it'll want to pull while running. Not enough free play destroys clutches cause they can't fully engage causing slippage which leads to even less free play and more slippage. Repeat till the bike has 7 neutral gears.

So we were both right.....and wrong.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:28 PM   #8
JGoody
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
I hate people that makes me thinks too much.

The lever adjustment won't have any effect on clutch engagement, only on disengement. Too much free play affects disengagement only. A low lever adjustment with too much freeplay will make it hard to push in gear with the engine off, it'll want to pull while running. Not enough free play destroys clutches cause they can't fully engage causing slippage which leads to even less free play and more slippage. Repeat till the bike has 7 neutral gears.

So we were both right.....and wrong.
Awesome!
JGoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:39 AM   #9
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_boringman View Post
...the clutch drags substantially when the lever is pulled in, making it a lot harder to push around compared to the bike being in neutral.
You've come from a dry clutch, I bet.

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:54 PM   #10
Charlie_boringman OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
You've come from a dry clutch, I bet.

Fred
Yeah, because there are plenty of Ninja 250's and Daytona 675's out there with dry clutches...
Charlie_boringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:38 PM   #11
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,487
If you are adjusting the clutch by using the knurled knob at the hand clutch lever, all you are doing is adjusting the span of the lever to the handlebar.

The clutch adjustment is made at the cable where it attaches to the throw out lever above the side engine cover.

The proper clearance is determined by pulling the cable cover out from the hand lever. There should be at least a 3mm gap between the larger part of the cable sheathing and where it enters the lever housing. 5mm is better. Squeeze the lever and it will pull the sheathing/cable cover back against the lever housing.

If that is correct, then I guess they all do that, but my bike actually is pretty easy to move around in the morning.