ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 08:13 PM   #2821
jar944
Studly Adventurer
 
jar944's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Chantilly VA
Oddometer: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnsnowhawk View Post
Here is what I use for winter riding.
looks like it would be a lot of fun, but id want more motor.
jar944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:18 AM   #2822
mnsnowhawk
Adventurer
 
mnsnowhawk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Dayton, MN
Oddometer: 28
You would be surprised how well they work. As far as more motor, I've got this.
mnsnowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:44 AM   #2823
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett View Post
Trelleborgs are scarce right now here in Canada, there's a waiting list apparently. I'm going to stud up a set myself but I'm wondering about a good tire to use. The lugs on the OEM tires look marginal. I think I need a set that have taller lugs. I'll look into the Maxxis ice tires. Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Garrett
The knobs all ripped off at 1 time on the stock front tire on mine,with not many miles on it,they seem like a weak tire. I would get a set of real tires for studs.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:05 AM   #2824
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer
 
garrett's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Calgary
Oddometer: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
The knobs all ripped off at 1 time on the stock front tire on mine,with not many miles on it,they seem like a weak tire. I would get a set of real tires for studs.
Thanks for confirming that. I had my doubts they'd be any good for studding.

Garrett
__________________
I like bikes...
garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:04 AM   #2825
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer
 
garrett's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Calgary
Oddometer: 469
HDB fitment issue on the EXC

Hi Folks

Has anyone used the HDB instrument protector for the OE instrument on their EXC? I'm currently installing the HDB handguards, top clamp, LEDs, and protector. The instrument protector wont mount to the top clamp because the swivel bolts are in the way. The XCW probably doesn't have this issue because there are only 2 idiot lights but the EXC has 4 lights and they are mounted lower on the protector so they interfere with the swivels.

So if someone has already gone down this road and figured it out, I'd appreciate the assistance.

Garrett
__________________
I like bikes...
garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:11 AM   #2826
juvander
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Espoo, Finland
Oddometer: 31
Had same issue, I just moved the handguard bolts to other holes (can't remember which way it originally was...). After this it is ok.
juvander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:15 AM   #2827
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: SW Florida
Oddometer: 1,123
ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnsnowhawk View Post
You would be surprised how well they work. As far as more motor, I've got this.
I love the snow hawks, want to ride one one day.

watching the youtube videos makes me mad I live in florida
Honkey Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:54 AM   #2828
Night Crawler
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Night Crawler's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Oddometer: 103
I would like to eliminate the key switch on my bike and don't want to install the push/pull switch from Sicass, and their $5 plug leaves the running lights on all the time. Not sure about the KTM plug. Is there any easy way around this?

Night Crawler screwed with this post 11-22-2012 at 01:56 PM
Night Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:47 PM   #2829
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer
 
garrett's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Calgary
Oddometer: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by juvander View Post
Had same issue, I just moved the handguard bolts to other holes (can't remember which way it originally was...). After this it is ok.
Yes it will work with the handguards mounted in the lower hole but still can't mount the protector in the lower holes. I need to do this so I can mount the ipod switch key on the top clamp. Hmmm may have to shim the protector with washers but tat looks amateurish and the HDB stuff is very slick.
Garrett
__________________
I like bikes...
garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:03 PM   #2830
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies
 
crankshaft's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Burlingtron,VT
Oddometer: 14,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett View Post
Thanks for confirming that. I had my doubts they'd be any good for studding.

Garrett
I studded a set of Trackmasters last year with 20mm rally studs and I was pretty pleased with the results.I'm going to build a set with road legal car studs for days when the bare ground is frozen, the bare ground beats the long studs. I was lucky to snag a stud gun a few years ago. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
__________________
Just say'IN
crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:10 PM   #2831
Stifdickerson2006
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Stifdickerson2006's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Central Coast,Ca
Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett View Post
Yes it will work with the handguards mounted in the lower hole but still can't mount the protector in the lower holes. I need to do this so I can mount the ipod switch key on the top clamp. Hmmm may have to shim the protector with washers but tat looks amateurish and the HDB stuff is very slick.
Garrett
I had the same issue. Used the spacers from the stock housing to mount it from the underside of the top clamp and ran the bolts from bottom to top. Worked out great and looks good. If you need a pic I can send you one on Sunday.
__________________
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are.
Stifdickerson2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:29 AM   #2832
Hueychief
FNG
 
Hueychief's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 77
Quote:
So if someone has already gone down this road and figured it out, I'd appreciate the assistance.
I went down this road and eliminated the high beam and blinker indicator as that's incorporated into the Sicass handlebar switch assembly already.
__________________
Waterboarding Works
KTM 500EXC
Hueychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:36 AM   #2833
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer
 
garrett's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Calgary
Oddometer: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifdickerson2006 View Post
I had the same issue. Used the spacers from the stock housing to mount it from the underside of the top clamp and ran the bolts from bottom to top. Worked out great and looks good. If you need a pic I can send you one on Sunday.
Thanks Stif

I'm not sure what spacers you're referring to, but yeah send a pic. I did get it mounted but mounted the protector on top of the clamp and shimmed the protector opposite the Ipod key switch with some washers. It doesn't look too bad.
Garrett
__________________
I like bikes...

garrett screwed with this post 11-23-2012 at 12:02 PM
garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:40 AM   #2834
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer
 
garrett's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Calgary
Oddometer: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueychief View Post
I went down this road and eliminated the high beam and blinker indicator as that's incorporated into the Sicass handlebar switch assembly already.
Nice looking with everything anodized black. You've got lots of room on the left side of the handlebar as well. The clutch hose is quite a distance from the handguard. Mine is ok but touching.

Garrett
__________________
I like bikes...
garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #2835
Chris6_85
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Chris6_85's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Skagit County
Oddometer: 300
valve adjustment shim kit?

I was wondering for the guys who has preformed valved adjustments on there new 500s. what shim kit do you recomend? i am planning on keeping this bike for while and figure i would like to have a kit on hand for the future to isolate all the trips back and forth the the motorcycle shop.
Chris6_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015