Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2012, 12:50 AM   #1126
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
A discussion over in the Schmidt thread re sidestands & crashbars prompted me to scan these. Circa 1991.

who's the gay looking turd behind the broked beemer?
Old 11-22-2012, 12:52 AM   #1127
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,359
What? Did you say something?
I couldn't get past the hair....

Edit: insert before marks post :)
Padmei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:13 AM   #1128
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Oddometer: 1,994
Hey, I was just back from the hospital. Give a guy a break (oops, they already did)...

I'd had to cut my hair not long before that in order to get a job...

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:28 AM   #1129
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,517
Are you still stuck in side the bike after the accident, That would explain the hair as well :-).
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:49 AM   #1130
Padmei
enamoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
Are you still stuck in side the bike after the accident, That would explain the hair as well :-).

that's glod
Old 11-25-2012, 02:36 PM   #1131
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Awaiting updates. Maybe hair is still being straightened.
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:50 PM   #1132
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by igormortis View Post
Awaiting updates. Maybe hair is still being straightened.

umm no. Waiting for him to get out of hospital again.

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz Free GPS tracks for New Zealand & more
www.FlyingtheChair.co.nz - NZ sidecar forums
Eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:17 PM   #1133
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Oddometer: 1,994
Odins Rd ride Sunday 25/11/12

Has a call from AndyMac earlier in the week asking if I wanted a ride. Given I’d finally sorted the majority of carb issue with Gus, I was real keen. I was most interested in doing Odlins Rd again, as the last ride there was somewhat spoiled by misty drizzle & a cracked spark plug cap that gave me shocks on the way out.

The weather was forecast to be fine & 18+ degrees. Given the Rain God (EddieB) was in Hamilton, I figured the forecast was likely to be accurate this time.

We agreed to meet at Staglands at 11.00am, so that the group could gather in a civilized fashion. Staglands is a wildlife / farm park, part way through the Akatarewa’s, & very popular in the summer months with young families. It also has the advantage of an attached café.

Eventually we had 7 bikes & riders: me (R100GS), AndyMac (WR250R), MarkS (KLR650), ManukauKTM (640E), Pampa (F650X), Ash (WR250R) & his son (TTR250).

Odlins Rd (or more correctly Waiotauru Rd) is an old non maintained logging road, which heads north from the Akatarewa Hill Rd summit car park. The original entrance has been blocked off to stop people dumping old cars off the track. The track is popular with 4WD drivers & some mountain bikers, but because it follows ridgelines, is somewhere where you need to be sure of the weather.

The first part of the trail is a rocky (clean) rock wall. It looked intimidating on the wet ride. This time, no issues.

Not too far in we passed a 4WD, with a family out for an excursion. One older gentleman had decided it might be preferable to walk. Andy dropped his bike in here somewhere.

Shortly after, Pampa’s bike decided that uphill running was not what it wanted to do, so we took a break to play with electrics.

It became apparent that part of the issue was the connections to the ignition switch – but after resolving this, the bike still didn’t want to play nicely, so Pampa decided to limp out, shepherded by Ash & his son, who live not too far from Staglands. And so there were four left.

By this stage the 4WD had passed us, & parked up just at the beginning of a snotty section that MarkS had had previous trouble on (this video is from a prior ride, but gives a feel for that section). They were set up to take photos of Gus attempting this. I may have disappointed them, by riding the rut, & paddling…

The day was fairly warm & I needed a few breaks on the way up. Andy picked one with views out to the coast.

Not far from the summit, there is a section of steep tank traps / woops, rocky & loose, with a couple of small plateaus through it. Basically you just have to gun it to get up. Unfortunately at the crest of the final whoop I lost my balance on Gus, which resulted in me hitting the gas WFO. I did a wall of death climb 1 & ˝ - 2 metres up a rock wall, & barrel rolled it down onto MarkS’s KLR – which was unfortunately parked right where we needed to be. Thanks to AndyMac for the post crash photos.

I took Mark’s handlebar in the back nr the bottom ribs, & tore some ligaments in my shoulder. The impact seems to have broken ribs, & either bruised or punctured my left lung. Certainly there was a time there where I didn’t want to move, & when I did get upright, I sat up very straight on a stump. Concerningly, I couldn’t catch my breath for a bit, & then could only shallow breathe & when I stood I couldn’t be sure I wasn’t going to fall down again.

The guys attended to Gus – got him upright, turned around, & did some running repair to get the handlebars & risers pointed in the right direction. There were cloud of smoke from the engine being upside down for a bit – that didn’t clear until ˝ way back to Akatarewa Rd. The front headlight ring is bent & garked, as is the choke lever. The clutch pivot has snapped internally, so the clutch rotates on the bar. The right hardhead guard is bent, & the left valve cover has some scraps. Other than that, I haven’t looked closely to find damage.

For my part, I thought I could just about ride – carefully – and slowly. There wasn’t anywhere for the rescue helicopter to come in anyway, & then there would have been an issue with recovering Gus.

Mark kindly shepherded me out Akatarewa Rd. The ride was interesting. I could feel clicking in my back, & some tearing when I did stupid things like trying to paddle through difficult section. On the whole though, riding faster was more comfortable that riding slower.

Once at the Akatarewa Rd, I opted to go the Waikanae / SH1 route home, reasoning that this would be more straightforward. Unfortunately I forgot about late Sunday afternoon traffic.

Got home, had a shower & changed, then drove to Wgtn Hospital Emergency dept. Arrived there at 5.40pm, got seen fairly quickly, but was classed as non priority, & finally got seen again at about 1.30am. They did some X-rays & ultrasounds, gave me more pain relief, & got me to stay overnight in the short stay unit.

This morning I had more X-rays. The Fluid / Bleed didn’t seem to be worse, so they allowed me home. I have another appointment for more X-rays on Friday. I am not a sprint champion at present, & no one make me laugh….They’ve given me a week off work, and I’ve got a month of painkillers

It seems that Andy & Wayne made it to the Hut, but maybe had some issues on the way

It's just better when there's twins involved....

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 11-25-2012 at 09:07 PM
Box'a'bits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:58 PM   #1134
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,517
Ouch and ouch again. Climbing up a bank and rolling sounds familiar. I hope Gus is ok, the damage looks to be superficial. I'll promise not to make any jokes about the hair, while your rips hurt. Get well soon.

There was a boy standing on a corner selling fish.

He was saying, "Dam fish for sale, dam fish for sale."

A preacher walked up and asked why he was calling them dam fish.

The kid said, "I caught them at the dam, so they're dam fish."

The preacher bought some, took them home and asked his wife to cook the dam fish.

His wife looked at him in bewilderment and said, "Preachers aren't supposed to talk like that."

The preacher explained why they were dam fish, and she agreed to cook them. When dinner was ready and everyone was sitting down, the preacher asked his son to pass him the dam fish.

His son replied, "That's the spirit dad. Pass the fucking potatoes!"
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:05 PM   #1135
Padmei
enamoured

Ouch
Sorry to hear about your ribs. I too am nursing a very sore rib at the back/side. The cause will be revealed in my weekly blog installment shortly.
What did the quack say to you? My one just poked me till I screamed & said yep that's sore isn't it & gave me some antiinflammatories. They are working bloody good for me but I think mine is a minor injury compared to yours. My wife was laughing so much she was crying watching me try to get into bed last nite. The involuntary "aaarggghhh as I tried to turn over didn't seem to curb the hilarity for her

Handlebars are the devils curse.
Don't worry about Gus till you can at least bend over properly to look at it.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:19 AM   #1136
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
You may be the injured one but MarkS looks a look worse for wear than you do in that pic.

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz Free GPS tracks for New Zealand & more
www.FlyingtheChair.co.nz - NZ sidecar forums
Eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:07 AM   #1137
Steve in NZ
scared/cheap

Oddometer: 1,046
in the interest of the rest of us could you take up cycling, nah that may also be a issue. Yip here ya go take up zorbing that will save us all a heap in ACC.

bike = the purple pig
Steve in NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:24 AM   #1138
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddieb View Post
You may be the injured one but MarkS looks a look worse for wear than you do in that pic.
actually that would be the after effects of a somewhat knackering 9 hour trials ride on Friday which left me with sore ribs (those pesky handlebars again) and a bruised butt (I used it to smash the $180 rear fender on the Beta).
Old 11-26-2012, 01:58 AM   #1139
Oaters
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 504
Get well soon Box a Bits!

goodness me you guys had a challenging ride on Sunday - so pleased I wimped out

Koko - loved your ditty about the Dam Fish! - see Koko's post above
Oaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:39 AM   #1140
Voltaire
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,215
Get well soon, much respect for taking a BMW on that sort of terrain. I'll never complain about the bumpy surface at Manfeild ever again....and the grass going up thru the cracks...
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote