Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2012, 04:16 AM   #136
malott442
Loud, yet refreshing

Oddometer: 636
1. Superhawk.

Too much low end, not enough top end.

2. Husqvarna TE610

Too much vibrations to ever ride it to the dirt spots. Otherwise a ridiculously awesome steed.

3. My current Ulysses.

Never knew Erik built a bike that handled poorly. With bags loaded and a passenger it will nearly wheelie through corners. Very off balance and sprung too soft to properly support one rider, much less 2.
malott442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:01 AM   #137
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKorn View Post
My current C14 ... fast, stops great, corners great and is great on the highway.
But i can not get comfortable on it even after changing things. Plus it is so damn heavy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuckaMan View Post
Kawi Concours 14.

Overall, it is really is a fantastic motorcycle....lots of power, good handling, decent ergo's, very capable.

But after owning now for several months and several thousand miles....it's just ok. I'll let it go if I really find out I don't enjoy riding it.

Oh thank dog. I thought I was the oddball. Never really liked it.

The '09 C-14 was the first bike I ever bought without a test ride (Big mistake #1)

First bike that I had to put $$$ into within the first month and still never got comfortable. Changed the seat, windshields (2), passenger pegs, throttle barrel to a G2, heat blockers, rear rack , plus more that I am forgetting. And because of my freakishly long arms, the "handlebars" were too high and too close to me- can't change them because you can't (the whole list makes up Big mistake #2)

Don't get me started about that STUPID keyless fob system. Who thought that one up? (That's their mistake)

Or that I had to replace tires before 5000 miles- front worn out.

Even after replacing the throttle barrel with a G2, the throttle action at part throttle (right between accel and decel) made it very hard to be smooth- Cathy actually had neck pain after a couple of 2-up day trips.

Want to do maintenance? Lots of plastic to remove. LOTS.

And last but not least, it was HEAVY and the constant worry of an accidental tipover that would have broken lots of that plastic.

Biggest mistake of all? I sold my '93 BMW K1100RS right after I brought the Kawi whale home. DUMB.

Later in the same year I sold it at a pretty big loss and found a '92 K100RS- like going home.
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:14 AM   #138
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimbus9 View Post
. Things begin to look grim when I was trying to turn the bike into something it wasn't - .
That would be the '12 Guzzi V7 Classic for me. Cute bike and all, but contrary to logical thought, if it were a true classic/vintage bike I would probably have been ok with it!
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:53 AM   #139
TRRcheck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by s&s View Post
H-D XR1200. Bike I really wanted to like but it just didn't live up to my expectations. I get more amusement out of my '97 883...
Funny you mention the XR1200.. Of course, I own one and absolutely LOVE it . Recently, I came up with a list of 15 things I want in my next bike.. The XR1200 had only 1 out of 15 on list of "must haves". Oddly enough, I love my bike and will never sell it, unless extreme circumstances arose.

Don't ask me why I love the bike, I just do.
TRRcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:55 AM   #140
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,536
dr650 although the torque/ powerband was very good & the frame was roomy. the fuel economy sucked, vibration ate tires, chain & sprockets, almost impossible to quiet it down enough for me. and of course the seat was no good.

also EVERY street bike i ever rode.
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:01 AM   #141
k woo
308Master

Oddometer: 83
HD Sporster, something was always wrong with it.
k woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:22 AM   #142
Superbikemike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Cry for me it was....

my red lemon... 2000 ducati 996... you had to be riding it at 10/10th or forget it, massive heat, rock hard chassis/suspension, and a clutch pull that would make popeye bitch, and every year of ownership it sat @ the dealer waiting for parts... imo the most beautiful motorcycle ever penned, but even a hardcore sportbiker like myself, it was very hard to live with....

Superbikemike screwed with this post 11-23-2012 at 07:47 AM
Superbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:51 AM   #143
madisonreid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,702
All the bikes I sold
madisonreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:37 AM   #144
hillbillypolack
Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer: 5,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbikemike View Post
my red lemon... 2000 ducati 996... you had to be riding it at 10/10th or forget it, massive heat, rock hard chassis/suspension, and a clutch pull that would make popeye bitch, and every year of ownership it sat @ the dealer waiting for parts... imo the most beautiful motorcycle ever penned, but even a hardcore sportbiker like myself every hard to live with....
+1

My 748 was a love / hate thing. Even getting to riding roads dealing with traffic, it was an ornery bitch. The bike wanted to be put on its side, pinned throttle or hard on the brakes. But once you got it to riding roads or in a track, it was fantastic. I really, really wanted to love it but in real riding terms it was a bike I could use 10% of the time.

The Hypermotard I test rode was a weird 'feeling' bike. Many here have said it was like you're sitting on the front wheel and I just never got the feeling that I'd bond with that riding position. But the fueling on the demo was far better than most current Ducatis - quick and predictable.

The S2R 1000 in the garage is about on my last nerve. Fueling below 4k is a joke, and the polymer tank has expanded (again) making it impossible to secure the latch. Strong midrange if you can get past the juddery bottom end.

1996 M900, "Patience" 2012 GS "Sonar" 2008 Megamoto "Big Blue" 2008 S2R "WTF"

hillbillypolack screwed with this post 11-22-2012 at 09:49 AM
hillbillypolack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:48 AM   #145
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,067
2008 KLR-650. Did a lot of work to make it better off road which was a waste of money. Felt it was going to eventually put me in the hospital. Nice go slow bike but dangerous at speed off road. Sold it and got KTM 690r.

Suzuki DL-1000 V-Strom. Just overall boring and forget about it off pavement.

I have a 2 bike limit so have sold a lot of bikes I liked just to make room. Tragic but that's the way it is
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:05 PM   #146
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,214
2009 BMW F800ST

Many parts failed, it vibrated so badly that it numbed my hands to sleep within a few short miles.

No less than 6 bulbs blew out in the first few months. I went through three low beam bulbs before swapping to HID (which was awesome, btw, a blessing in disguise I guess)

I could live with the failed heated grips, failed switch gear assemblies, crumbling dipsticks, the paint peeling off the engine in big sheets exposing massive corrosion, my sidestand falling off twice, all the misc bolts and fasteners that vibrated loose and went AWOL, the scary slapping crunching camchain noise, the Exxon Valdez valve cover oil leak (this was rather eye opening once, as so much oil had spewed down onto the hot header pipes, that a great cloud of blue smoke billowed up from around my instrument cluster, and I thought: "Auuugh! my bike is catching fire! Abandon ship!" lol) the hideous ABS that would completely remove my ability to stop if I hit even the tiniest bumps in the pavement while braking.

Sailing right through a crosswalk and halfway into an intersection when trying to stop for a redlight, on a beautiful sunny day with zero need for any ABS action, had me in a rather surprised state, let me tell you. Apparently, the little unseen ripples in the asphault my tires went over, confused the computer enough to remove my ability to stop at all. I soon learned about the awful phrase: "Extended Brake Release"

I could live with my fuel tank really being only 13-ish litres instead of the 16 litres BMW claimed it was. (the US and Canadian models have the whole front of the underseat tank missing, because of the wonderful US requirement for the Emissions plumbing stuff. A large evaporative charcoal canister resides in the spot where the rest of the world's models have a larger fuel tank in that place)

The absolutely useless fuel gauge/computer "mileage remaining" estimator, allowed me to run dead dry empty with the dash cheerfully telling me I had 50 miles of fuel left. When I obviously couldn't trust that, I got still got suckered by the old fashioned tried and true use of the tripmeter instead, because for some bizarre reason, my fuel economy was wildly variable. I could have an insane swing of difference from one tank to the next.

It would stall at the drop of a hat, and I never stall my bikes. I can't count how many times I had a WTF! of the thing going *POP* and stalling, right in mid balance manoevering, fully loaded up with gear. The low speed throttle snatch was horrible, and it was geared so tall in first that I couldn't ride in slow or heavy traffic without sweating bullets that it was going to cough and die, or kill me from my clutch hand continual in out, in out, in out, and simply seizing my tendons up. (while having to rev it high, so it wouldn't be as likely to cut out)

Since I hadn't had the infamous stator death, the fuel pump and/or controller expire on me yet, I was just waiting for those things to strand me out in the middle of nowhere. My buddy with the same model year as mine, had among other things, his front belt pulley cog chew it's way right through the plastic sidecover, and fling itself off down the road, never to be seen again! Of course this was in a no cell coverage area out in the boonies, far from home in another country.

There were tons of other potential things like the rear bearing/axle failures, piston slap, melting headlight wiring, toasting highbeam reflector surfaces, etc., etc., that I was looking forward to, but that was just probably needless worry on my part. I totally admit that. But given all the failures I did have, and general shitty quality of my bike, I don't think I was being totally tinfoil hat about any of them possibly happening, either.

So. I could live with all that, even!

But the final straw was the BMW dealer service crap, and their insistance on trying to fleece me everytime I went in. The services were always hundreds of dollars higher than I was told they were going to be. They had a positive hard on for brake fluid flushes! Showing them I just had a f*cking brake fluid flush less than 3,000 kilometres and 5 months ago, they would STILL "recommend" a flush, and offhandedly insinuate "possible warranty denials" and "goodwill repair problems" for me in the future, if it wasn't done.

The last time, I went in for a switch gear failure, and since they were going to cover it under warranty, I thought I would be decent, and let them do an oil and filter service for me. A costly thing when done by a BMW dealer, but I was willing to give them their easy money to go with the "free" warranty job. I held my ground and said thanks, but no thanks, I don't need the third brake fluid flush in less than 2 years, when of course, they strongly recommend one to be done.

The nagging Service Due message and the various lit up lights, I assumed, would be reset while they were finished. (at this point, my bike only had about 8,000 miles on it) They call me, it's all done, come on down.

I start it up and go to leave their parking lot, and lo and behold, the Service Due, and associated flashing blinky lights are still all there. Of course I went back in and said what the heck, only to be informed: "We only reset those when you have a FULL Service done. Unless you get the full service, (including the ever popular brake fluid flush, lol) you would have to pay extra for us to reset the system. We have to hook it up to the computer, and so there's a minimum labour charge, we will make a note in your file "full service not done" blah, blah, blah.

FYYFF.

Never again BMW. I wouldn't accept a BMW if I was given a brand new one for free, and delivered right to my door.

I lost my shirt trading the hateful thing in for a Honda NC700X, but the relief and happines I felt riding away on the Honda was worth everything to me.
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:53 PM   #147
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypolack View Post
+1

My 748 was a love / hate thing. Even getting to riding roads dealing with traffic, it was an ornery bitch. The bike wanted to be put on its side, pinned throttle or hard on the brakes. But once you got it to riding roads or in a track, it was fantastic. I really, really wanted to love it but in real riding terms it was a bike I could use 10% of the time.
+1 more, my 888 was the same. Above 140kmh/90mph it was fantastic. Getting to somewhere where you could do that was painful.

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz Free GPS tracks for New Zealand & more
www.FlyingtheChair.co.nz - NZ sidecar forums
Eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:15 PM   #148
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post
2009 BMW F800ST

###snippage of really grim history###

Never again BMW. I wouldn't accept a BMW if I was given a brand new one for free, and delivered right to my door.
Not giving me warm fuzzies for the F800R in the garage...that I haven't even ridden yet.
dmac57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:43 PM   #149
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac57 View Post
Not giving me warm fuzzies for the F800R in the garage...that I haven't even ridden yet.

My first thought when starting up my new ST: (honest) Holy! I've just bought a $20,000.00 dollar KLR650! Auugh!"

Just prepare yourself and you should be ok.

For every one of "me" (a disgruntled and nothing good to say about them dude) there are probably thousands of really happy, well taken care of F800 peeps. I was just unlucky with my deal, I guess.

You won't find a better, and more helpful and friendly site on the 'net than the F800riders.org folks, though! That was my one true good thing I take away from the whole sordid affair, the wonderful guys and gals there.
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:39 PM   #150
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post
My first thought when starting up my new ST: (honest) Holy! I've just bought a $20,000.00 dollar KLR650! Auugh!"

Just prepare yourself and you should be ok.
Hopefully it's no worse than the fan on the Buell. I was warned that that would make me "batsh** crazy."

Quote:
You won't find a better, and more helpful and friendly site on the 'net than the F800riders.org folks, though! That was my one true good thing I take away from the whole sordid affair, the wonderful guys and gals there.
I'm on over there ("Offcamber"). The F800R bunch is pretty quiet (at least by ADVRider standards), but I'm trying to stir things up. Like any forum "search" is a good starting place.
dmac57 is online now   Reply With Quote