User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 08:57 PM   #16
Wesley J
Hoser

Oddometer: 628
Hey Guys,

Can you give me details on the oil cooler? Specifically, I'm wondering where ittakes and returns the oil. Does it take oil from the oil pressure sender and return elsewhere?

I've been doing a custom without too much for mods. Full engine rebuild as well, pistons, rings, valves and seals. Bearings were all in spec so I left them alone.

That brings me to another question for you guys. Like most, my omniphase timing chain is loose at 7200 miles. Its smooth during accel or decel but at constant load, it "rattles" pretty badly. If you've rotated this motor and looked, they come very close to one another. There's a significant amount of play in the chain. I'm planning to cut the timing chain and locking the balancers in place. Here's my reasoning:

1. The balance does not balance the rotating assembly, it simply balances the mass of the crank/rods/pistons so it feels smother to the rider.
2. Leaving it in place ensures that oiling of the rest of the motor isnt effected.
3. Locking them in place ensures they cant get get all bunged up. Not sure if this matters, I need to look at it closer. They cant contact the rotating assembly then who cares right?

Anyway, I look forward to any words of wisdom. I picked up one of the oil filter converters back when Toby got his first batch. Super nice piece.

Oh, here's a pic of the bike recently.

Wesley J

'07 KTM 990 Adventure
'10 KTM 300 XC-W
Wesley J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:43 AM   #17
SOS
Ignorance is a gift

Oddometer: 692
Does yours have the omni-balancer chain adjuster, or the the recall if it is a 1973? I only road mine for about 1 mile so I don't have a feel for how it will act, but I di notice the lack of vibration while riding. In fact I thought it felt just like an old ironhead sportster as far as the motor goes, but without the vibration. Mine is a 1973, but has the recall for the balancer chain adjuster and the extended oil sump.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:23 AM   #18
Wesley J
Hoser

I have the extended sump but not the adjustable balancer. My motor is very smooth as well but when it isnt accelerating or deccelerating the counter weights, the chain slack makes a pile of noise. Too bad Yamaha gave up on this bike. I have a friend with a fully restored '76 CB750F and the TX is a way better motor (except reliability obviously).

Assuming removing the chain willl not effect longevity of the motor, I could really care less about the vibration. Heck, until someone stole it, I rode my XR650R 5-10,000 kms per year.

Thoughts?

'07 KTM 990 Adventure
'10 KTM 300 XC-W
Old 11-21-2012, 03:06 PM   #19
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 4,941

Old 11-21-2012, 03:07 PM   #20
concours
WFO for 41 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley J View Post
I have the extended sump but not the adjustable balancer. My motor is very smooth as well but when it isnt accelerating or deccelerating the counter weights, the chain slack makes a pile of noise. Too bad Yamaha gave up on this bike. I have a friend with a fully restored '76 CB750F and the TX is a way better motor (except reliability obviously).

Assuming removing the chain willl not effect longevity of the motor, I could really care less about the vibration. Heck, until someone stole it, I rode my XR650R 5-10,000 kms per year.

Thoughts?
Put the tensioner retrofit on... it's not hard http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-TX750...abff25&vxp=mtr

concours screwed with this post 11-21-2012 at 05:23 PM
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:15 PM   #21
concours
WFO for 41 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley J View Post
Hey Guys,

Can you give me details on the oil cooler? Specifically, I'm wondering where ittakes and returns the oil. Does it take oil from the oil pressure sender and return elsewhere?

I've been doing a custom without too much for mods. Full engine rebuild as well, pistons, rings, valves and seals. Bearings were all in spec so I left them alone.

That brings me to another question for you guys. Like most, my omniphase timing chain is loose at 7200 miles. Its smooth during accel or decel but at constant load, it "rattles" pretty badly. If you've rotated this motor and looked, they come very close to one another. There's a significant amount of play in the chain. I'm planning to cut the timing chain and locking the balancers in place. Here's my reasoning:

1. The balance does not balance the rotating assembly, it simply balances the mass of the crank/rods/pistons so it feels smother to the rider.
2. Leaving it in place ensures that oiling of the rest of the motor isnt effected.
3. Locking them in place ensures they cant get get all bunged up. Not sure if this matters, I need to look at it closer. They cant contact the rotating assembly then who cares right?

Anyway, I look forward to any words of wisdom. I picked up one of the oil filter converters back when Toby got his first batch. Super nice piece.

Wesley J
The oil cooler is plumbed to rout scavenge oil through the cooler before returning to tank. So, you cut the big fabric covered hose between the engine and tank RETURN (upper), connect cooler to those two lines. Those ar HALF INCH I.D. hoses, by the way!

You can see the steel hard lines wrapping around the cylinder here.

concours screwed with this post 11-22-2012 at 06:02 AM
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:16 PM   #22
Wesley J
Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
Put the tensioner retrofit on... it's not hard http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-TX750...abff25&vxp=mtr

Perfect. I've been searching unsuccesfully for that... Bought it and will make it so.

Thanks for the cooler info. Completely obvious spot, not too sure why I didnt actually use my head on that one...

'07 KTM 990 Adventure
'10 KTM 300 XC-W
Old 11-22-2012, 01:29 PM   #23
concours
WFO for 41 years

Somewhere in this big list of bulletins is a parts diagram and procedure for the tensioner retrofit. http://www.tobyfolwick.com/tx750/bulletin.php