ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 139 votes, 4.81 average. Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #5941
roadspirit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
This sounds like the screen protector issue I had. It ages, hardens and possibly shrinks, and starts making screen selections because it's effectively touching the screen. If you have a Garmin screen protector on it, remove it to see if the issue continues. Putting on a fresh protector stopped mine from auto-selecting menu items.
I removed the screen protector. Today, riding from Popoyan to Salento the unit performed ok, so I'm hopping that you were right and there is no other kind of problem. Thank you !!!

south america trip
roadspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:02 PM   #5942
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmbeedee View Post
and no, i do not have any vested interest in javawa; i just like it a lot. It's a very useful tool.
+1

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #5943
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
I would recommend that you keep the World Basemap ENABLED all of the time. Wish I could be of more help. I've traveled all of the places you have ridden with the same maps most likely and have had no issues - other than poor map data at times.

Cheers,
That is the only other map enabled, World Basemap, the rest are disabled except for the country map I need to use

I will persevere, and if it breaks again I will send it back again, hopefully by that time I will be back home in Oz
Old 11-21-2012, 06:50 PM   #5944
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I think this will help a lot to determine what the problem might be.
OK, so I ran the program and it came up with some errors and warnings.

The warnings were to do with a map not registered to this device

The errors related to map tiles not in the same spot, some were in a different image file

But, none of these errors related to the Europe CN maps I bought and that was where the original faults occurred.

Any ideas on what to do now? I can't see how a faulty map tile would cause my GPS to forget all its waypoints, it does not seem that they are connected in any way?

Cheers
TS
Old 11-21-2012, 07:01 PM   #5945
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post
OK, so I ran the program and it came up with some errors and warnings.

The warnings were to do with a map not registered to this device

The errors related to map tiles not in the same spot, some were in a different image file

But, none of these errors related to the Europe CN maps I bought and that was where the original faults occurred.

Any ideas on what to do now? I can't see how a faulty map tile would cause my GPS to forget all its waypoints, it does not seem that they are connected in any way?

Cheers
TS
Did you also click 'Extra' to see if it found any corrupt files like this one on my Montana?

Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:44 PM   #5946
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:

Cheers
TS
Have you done any testing with this method?
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:30 AM   #5947
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Did you also click 'Extra' to see if it found any corrupt files like this one on my Montana?
Hi Emmbeedee

I checked the Extras and I had no faulty files :)

This is what it shows with the check of the Montana and SD card

The SD card

The Montana

Now, I can see there are errors, so how do I fix them please? I guess it means removing the maps and starting again maybe?

@atlas cached - Yes I did this after reading the thread under Emmbeedee signature. I guess I will not know for a while if that has done anything. I actually copied the Thai street map direct onto the Montana and the other composite image of 4 maps is on the SD card, a separate one.

Cheers
TS
Old 11-22-2012, 04:40 AM   #5948
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Hi Emmbeedee

I checked the Extras and I had no faulty files :)

This is what it shows with the check of the Montana and SD card

The SD card

The Montana

Now, I can see there are errors, so how do I fix them please? I guess it means removing the maps and starting again maybe?

@atlas cached - Yes I did this after reading the thread under Emmbeedee signature. I guess I will not know for a while if that has done anything. I actually copied the Thai street map direct onto the Montana and the other composite image of 4 maps is on the SD card, a separate one.

Cheers
TS
Well it's clear that having the Thailand map on its own and as well in the gmapsupp.img could be a real problem. I'd probably remove gmapsupp, myself, and see how it goes from there. If you need the other maps which are contained in that file it would be best to add them individually using MapInstall. Having multiple maps loaded through one gmapsupp.img file is necessary on older Garmin units but your Montana will allow each of those in its own file.

And both the Cambodia and Thai maps are not unlocked for the device. I think your maps are the real problem.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 11-22-2012 at 04:45 AM
Old 11-22-2012, 08:10 AM   #5949
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,877
The BMW Adventure GPS...

Hi Boys & Girls...

Thought I'd share what some may already know. If you aren't aware of the GS Trophy check out this link. It starts on Sunday, 25 NOV.

So what is the Montana connection you might ask? Well, it appears that BMW thinks enough of the Montana that they have re-branded it as the new BMW Adventure to join the BMW Navigator IV (zumo 660). Here is a short excerpt from the latest BMW Motorrad Newletter:
"Another new partner is Garmin, which is providing a world premiere for the GS Trophy: the brand new BMW Motorrad Adventure navigation system, which is based on the Garmin Montana. We are using the very first units of the Adventure. It will be available next year."
Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:43 AM   #5950
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Well, it appears that BMW thinks enough of the Montana that they have re-branded it as the new BMW Adventure to join the BMW Navigator IV (zumo 660). Here is a short excerpt from the latest BMW Motorrad Newletter:
"Another new partner is Garmin, which is providing a world premiere for the GS Trophy: the brand new BMW Motorrad Adventure navigation system, which is based on the Garmin Montana. We are using the very first units of the Adventure. It will be available next year."
Cheers,
No photos? Google is not helping either... Must not be anything published beyond the newsletter yet.

Thanks for sharing!
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:04 PM   #5951
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,880
For you folks who use a Montana while hiking or just walking around, is there a method of carry that needs to be used to maintain satellite connections? I know on older GPS units that if they didn't have clear sky, they would lose signal, but I am not sure about these new units. Can they "see" through the cloth of a jacket pocket?
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:22 PM   #5952
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
For you folks who use a Montana while hiking or just walking around, is there a method of carry that needs to be used to maintain satellite connections? I know on older GPS units that if they didn't have clear sky, they would lose signal, but I am not sure about these new units. Can they "see" through the cloth of a jacket pocket?
My Montana "sees" through the walls of my house when sitting at my desk. It sees fine when it's in the truck even if tossed upside down on the passenger seat. I can't believe it won't see through a jacket pocket. The only time I've ever had it lose signal was in a half mile long tunnel!

It is 100 times more sensitive than my old 76C in that regard. That's ONE thing you don't have to worry about!
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:49 PM   #5953
mass-klr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
I installed my rugged mount. Found out that I have the same issue with the security screw as many other people. I can for the hell of it not get the screw in, even without the Montana in the mount. WTH...

Is this something that Garmin will replace. This really sucks!!!
mass-klr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:52 PM   #5954
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass-klr View Post
I installed my rugged mount. Found out that I have the same issue with the security screw as many other people. I can for the hell of it not get the screw in, even without the Montana in the mount. WTH...

Is this something that Garmin will replace. This really sucks!!!
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Garmin will replace it for you but while you wait, use the mount anyway. Lots of people run without the locking screw so they can take it off the mount quickly to get pictures.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:46 PM   #5955
mass-klr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Garmin will replace it for you but while you wait, use the mount anyway. Lots of people run without the locking screw so they can take it off the mount quickly to get pictures.
Thanks, it is just a little frustrating...

This Thread is great. I read through it before I received my Montana and was ready with all the software when it arrived.

Thanks...

Leon
mass-klr is offline   Reply With Quote