Old 11-20-2012, 07:28 AM   #5821
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Hours

were spent blissfully on roads like these,

O'Dell Creek road,

East Fork Hanging Woman Creek road

High speed stuff. Fun. (sorry about the audio -- gotta work on that, just turn the sound down and you'll get a taste of the terrain)

Lee Creek, Otter road... we were passing through gas and coal? mining areas,

We even skirted around a gold mine at one point, on the right is the slag pile.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:32 AM   #5822
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Ash Creek rd

threw up another road block,

out came the maps,

We were striking distance to Ranchester which was our next fuel stop -- we'd be in WY if we made it there. Seemed like a good target if we didn't have too many re-routes

or if anything else slowed us down...
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 11-20-2012, 07:36 AM   #5823
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Hooligans.

Care to explain, boys?

Old 11-20-2012, 07:50 AM   #5824
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

At Ranchester,

we refueled with gas and bourbon, and pulled into the RV park in town. The nice gal pointed out where we might pitch our tents -- not ideal... and then she graciously recommended we check out the Conner Battlefield park across the Tongue River, where camping was allowed.

it turned out to be a lovely recommendation!

We freshened up in the river, had a nice dinner, and sat around the Campfire Substitute™

Old 11-20-2012, 07:59 AM   #5825
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

It was a relaxing

evening.

Peaceful, considering what went on here in 1865,

I wonder if years from now plaques will be raised commemorating Afghan, Iraqi, Israeli, or other villages destroyed in conflict.

I guess in some context, destroying a village might be considered necessary. It just doesn't seem the kind of human endeavor worthy of celebration.

More of the story:

Just something to reflect on, I guess.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:07 AM   #5826
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

M10, Day 7 stats

.GPX file of the day's ride available here.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:20 PM   #5827
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
Lee Creek, Otter road... we were passing through gas and coal? mining areas,

We even skirted around a gold mine at one point, on the right is the slag pile.

Top photo, the silos are rail load out facilities for the coal mine. The little tan box in the foreground is a coalbed methane well aka natural gas. In the lower photo, the "slag pile" is overburden from a coal mine piled up along the road for a privacy fence. -David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:23 PM   #5828
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,751
Quote:

I'll let Big Dog explain why it's called Suicide Pass.
Sorry I've not been helping out-----I went riding for a few days.

But-------Dr. Rock posed the question why it was called "suicide pass" road---where the extremely irate woman was.

After much thought-----I finally figure out why it was called "suicide pass".

It was because all of the husbands of the crazy, irate lady had committed suicide. She was a piece of work.
BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:30 PM   #5829
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,751

So what did these 2 bad boys do to get those citations they got in their hands ?????

Me and the Dingleweeds on our WR250R's were feeling a little frisky and slip those big powerful bikes into 6th gear finally.
We hadn't used 6th gear for over a week------------and look what happened.

Well---that sounds good---but hard to believe I guess.
The truth of the matter was me and Dingleweeds both had our headlights off.
We both have switches to turn our headlights off--------a modification that has come in really handy when sneaking around.
Not that we'd every do that

We were speeding a bit----but he said nothing of that----and after we showed him our headlights worked he let us off with a warning----after checking our drivers license and making sure we hadn't killed anybody in the last 3 days or so.

Actually-----when he saw our no hassles tassels---he had to let us go.
The tassels let you cut the wind like a hot knife thru butter.

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 11-22-2012 at 03:35 AM
BigDogAdventures is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:19 PM   #5830
redroom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
NYC area flooding

For a look-see of what folks are dealing with in the Big Apple see http://www.nytimes.com/newsgraphics/...ricane.html?hp

Happy Thanksgiving to the Mobius 10 Crew and subscribers to the best RR on the web.
2001 BMW R1150GS
redroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:15 AM   #5831
DingWeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post

So what did these 2 bad boys do to get those citations they got in their hands ?????

Me and the Dingleweeds on our WR250R's were feeling a little frisky and slip those big powerful bikes into 6th gear finally.
We hadn't used 6th gear for over a week------------and look what happened.

Well---that sounds good---but hard to believe I guess.
The truth of the matter was me and Dingleweeds both had our headlights off.
We both have switches to turn our headlights off--------a modification that has come in really handy when sneaking around.
Not that we'd every do that

We were speeding a bit----but he said nothing of that----and after we showed him our headlights worked he let us off with a warning----after checking our drivers license and making sure we hadn't killed anybody in the last 3 days or so.

Actually-----when he saw our no hassles tassels---he had to let us go.
The tassels let you cut the wind like a hot knife thru butter.

BigDog
Thats my story and I'm sticking to it!!!!
Scott
DingWeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:27 PM   #5832
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Thanksgiving, unmoored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redroom View Post
For a look-see of what folks are dealing with in the Big Apple see http://www.nytimes.com/newsgraphics/...ricane.html?hp

Happy Thanksgiving to the Mobius 10 Crew and subscribers to the best RR on the web.
New England Journal of Medicine editorial regarding Bellevue Hospital and Sandy. Click on thumbnails to link to legible images if you're interested.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #5833
La Donna Fugata
You're not the boss of me

Oddometer: 153
a little insight

Reflecting upon the things I am thankful for I've realized the significance the mobius trip has played in my life over the last five years. Ive been so blessed to have explored this country in ways that the majority of Americans will never have the opportunity to experience.

This journey has exposed some raw emotions and shortcomings but yet has empowered me with a resolve to find the solution to any problem that crosses my path.

I am so grateful to the motorcycle adventure community, both NYC local and afar, that have provided us extordinary support along the way.

My heartfelt thank you to the love of my life that embraced this endeavor, had unlimited patience, and provided the support to explore this two wheel journey together.

Happy Thanksgiving to an amazing community that I'm so grateful to be a part of.

LDF
La Donna Fugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:26 PM   #5834
dustyrider
dirt is just better

Oddometer: 110
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Donna Fugata View Post
Reflecting upon the things I am thankful for I've realized the significance the mobius trip has played in my life over the last five years. Ive been so blessed to have explored this country in ways that the majority of Americans will never have the opportunity to experience.

This journey has exposed some raw emotions and shortcomings but yet has empowered me with a resolve to find the solution to any problem that crosses my path.

I am so grateful to the motorcycle adventure community, both NYC local and afar, that have provided us extordinary support along the way.

My heartfelt thank you to the love of my life that embraced this endeavor, had unlimited patience, and provided the support to explore this two wheel journey together.

Happy Thanksgiving to an amazing community that I'm so grateful to be a part of.

LDF
Beautifully stated. Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:55 PM   #5835
JackJack
Dulce Periculum

Oddometer: 382
Quote:
New England Journal of Medicine editorial regarding Bellevue Hospital and Sandy. Click on thumbnails to link to legible images if you're interested.
I can't imagine how unsettling this must be for all involved. I think the nation, and indeed the world, is impressed with New Englanders' ability to march forward through tragedy and catastrophic conditions without missing a beat.
I think you and LDF embody that fortitude in your Mobius adventures.
Keep on keepin' on.

JackJack is offline   Reply With Quote