User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 09:55 PM   #196
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Oddometer: 1,325
Bike & Hike SLC-High Uintas-SLC Day 6

Today we make our way from Heber City further west to play around in the American Fork Canyon system of trail--which we had visited a few weeks before when we made our way from Moab to Salt Lake City-- before getting back to the storage unit near the airport.

Trying to wake up at the Hub Cafe.

Getting out of the Swiss Alps Inn, very nice hotel.

The ATV trail at Big Flat before it hooks up to the Ridge Trail via a veeeery narrow trail cut on the side of the mountain with no margin for error …

This is a spectacular singletrack however, I had to pay full attention to the riding and had to stop to enjoy the scenery...

Here we took the right fork for the easy way around…

We needed jb to have scouted this for us before venturing up there. Next visit!

The Trails made their way closer to Mount Timpanogos area, the mountain range in the background. You can barely see the trail and a motorcycle in the foreground to the left of the picture.

Singletrack & aspen groves, what can be sweeter?

We got to Pole Pass from the north and then headed down to the American Fork Canyon Fork proper. jakbrand here picking his way through the boulder field that is Dry Fork, an abandoned mining road on a dry river bed toward Mineral Basin and the south side of Snowbird ski resort. Wrong bike, need a GasGas. I decided to wait until he had his fun exploring, chickening out not wanting to risk cracking open my stator cover again with another silly fall…he eventually turned around when he found a spot to do so. It got worse he said…

American Fork Canyon road itself was carved above the waters that run down canyon. No pictures there, but beautiful. We picked another side mining road, this time Mary Ellen Gulch and begin a climb that ended up at a nice lunch spot near the Yankee mines:

No pics on the way up, it was a relentless drag up a difficult and very rocky jeep road, but here is one pic on the way down along a talus:

We then connected back to more singletrack near Tibble Fork Reservoir:

Endless possibilities here which we did not have enough time to explore. What a treat! I still can't believe how good it is, and so close to the city. I should just pick up and move to Salt Lake.

We caught a few rain drops later in the afternoon...

before heading back down toward Guardsman Pass and Brighton via a little more singletrack…

a little more jeep roads…

and one last ATV trail that climbed down into the valley east of the area we had ridden all day

The day closed with at The Original Diamond Lils near our storage unit…the service was average, the food was OK, ambience better, but we finally got Coconut Cream Pie after asking at every joint for a week...

Road Reports by ejtv click here

ejtv screwed with this post 09-19-2012 at 04:11 PM
ejtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:57 PM   #197
jakbrand
93 octane

Oddometer: 179
We intended to ride as much dirt as possible on this last full day in the saddle. I'm thinking that Nephi smiled when he looked down and saw us following a straight and narrow path.

Maybe the path wasn't exactly straight, but it was narrow.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:27 PM   #198
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Bike & Hike SLC-High Uintas-SLC Day 7 & last

Today I almost didn't ride. Woke up with no will power to ride, but hearing jakbrand say, well I'm going to ride today, I thought, well, OK, I'll ride for a couple of hours.

Plan is to ride in this area I would photograph from the air the next day:

The mountain range east of Bountiful. For years on my way up to Ogden/Snowbasin/Powder Mountain from the SLC airport I would see these radar structures on top of the mountains. This was the day to get there.

We took the ATV trails that paralleled the main dirt road and made it to the crest. I was surprised how much fun and how beautiful they were despite their high use. At times we were four and five feet inside the trench created by the erosion from wheels and rain, but for the most part we rode under a canopy of small trees that were starting to show fall colors.

Once again, it is hard to believe that these trails are within minutes of the largest population center in Utah. I got to move there.

Jakbrand climbing along the crest to the top of the many side trails…

and this writer...

A few minutes after this picture we parted ways, jakbrand had to do some moto maintenance and laundry, I was to meet with my brother at the KTM dealership, but since I had more time, I decided to press north to get to the radar and explore the area. Beautiful.

Here are two contiguous views from the same spot along the Skyline Drive, near Bountiful Peak:

The road east of the radar continues north for a while…

View atop Francis Peak, where the radar was built, looking north:

North of the radar, atop of one of the ATV trails I took, looking east:

The valley behind bountiful peek is truly unspoiled despite the roads.

After descending back to Bountiful, stopped at a fruit stand, we were at the height of the peach season:

They crew at ADS Sports, Ogden, ready to take care of business:

Dinner at downtown's Market Street Grill, the best dinner of the whole trip.

Yamamoto raw oysters, just add fresh lime juice...

...and orange candy:

ejtv screwed with this post 09-19-2012 at 08:55 PM
Old 09-20-2012, 06:55 AM   #199
mrprez
KJ4WMZ

Oddometer: 1,265
Great report! Are you keeping gps tracks of your wanderings?

I like camping under tarps too. Much cooler than a tent although the bugs can be troublesome at times. For more information about tarp camping I recommend http://rayjardine.com. He claims to have written the book on tarps. In fact, he wrote 2! Lots of MYOG kits for sale on his website. You have to get past his ego a bit sometimes but he is a good guy and recently has taken up dual sport riding.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:26 PM   #200
sdthorpe
Adventurer... yeah right!

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
Great report! Are you keeping gps tracks of your wanderings?
wondering this myself!!
sdthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:55 PM   #201
Vinbowie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Really great report !
I watched the videos on
my hi def 23 inch monitor.
Very well done.
They just stand back and let it all be." Springsteen
Vinbowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:06 PM   #202
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Gpx

I do keep track of our travels via GPS but out of respect for the work of local riders who build and maintain these trails and those who invest effort and time researching maps and planning trips to discover these trails, particulalry singletracks, I don't post GPX files. I am sorry. Lots of debate about this on both sides of the fence and room for disagreement.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:39 PM   #203
mrprez
KJ4WMZ

Oddometer: 1,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejtv View Post
I do keep track of our travels via GPS but out of respect for the work of local riders who build and maintain these trails and those who invest effort and time researching maps and planning trips to discover these trails, particulalry singletracks, I don't post GPX files. I am sorry. Lots of debate about this on both sides of the fence and room for disagreement.
Nobody asked about you posting your tracks. Just wanted to know if you were recording them.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:09 PM   #204
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
I was fortunate to have found your thread,the pictures are killer-can'r wait to read the thread. What did you use for a camera-very impressive quality pictures. I'm doing the TAT next year solo and haven't settled on a camera yet-would appreciate any input.
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:03 PM   #205
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62 View Post
...the pictures are killer-can'r wait to read the thread. What did you use for a camera-very impressive quality pictures....
I have a Panasonic Lumix LX3

The most important thing is the quality of the lens. I first researched who used Leica lenses. At the time I bought mine only Leica itself and Panasonic used Leica lenses. Since I didn't have the $10,000 for a Leica camera, I settled for the $350 Lumix. I also shoot in RAW so I can have more leeway to process the pics in the computer. As a bonus, this Lumix is very compact and in addition to all the automatic modes you can imagine, it is also fully manual.

Glad you enjoyed our report!

Old 10-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #206
leftystrat62
Adventurer

"Both bikes have electric grip warmers one by www.hotgrips.com the other one by Symtec. Both work well, but with Symtec you can use your own grips and it is cheaper. After living with these on two 10 day trips, we both agree Symtec has the more elegant solution."

I put a set of heated grips from Aerostich on my WR last winter in order to prep the bike for the
tat- but didn't find they were warm enough. I then changed over to the hot grips which were certainly warmer,but man I hate the larger diameter. I really want to go back to my original grip diameter,but know the warmer hands are more important for this trip (will be finishing it at the end of Sept). Can you tell me if you think the Symtec grip heaters were as warm as the hot grips?
Old 10-08-2012, 10:38 PM   #207
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Grip warmers

I have ridden both in the cold and Symtecs get the job done and are sooo much more comfortable than Hot Grips...

Old 10-09-2012, 07:50 PM   #208
explr
Just Stooopid

Oddometer: 168
In!!!

Great adventure!!!!
explr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:35 PM   #209
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClifNotes View Post
wow, ur RR is awesome! i like how you post pics and youtube vids.

i'd be scared to get the motorcycle so close to the edge of a Cliff!
with a name like CLIFFnotes your afraid of cliffs
Old 04-06-2013, 09:51 AM   #210
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Spur West of SLC Utah

Plan for first few days of this May trip west of SLC is for jakbrand and ejtv to fly to SLC from Florida and Louisiana, pick up bikes at storage unit in SLC, do a little moto maintenance, and circumnavigate, sort of, the Great Salt Lake--lots of bailout points--, go as far west as we can depending on time and snow, Jarbidge, maybe McDermitt, then go south and east toward Ruby Mountains and Bonneville Salt Flats. Then we meet back in SLC with dwip and jb who will be flying from Florida to tackle Stanbury Mountains and play around at Little Sahara. tbang can't make it this time around.

Bad news is we have no idea about road and trail conditions in May...

ejtv screwed with this post 04-06-2013 at 10:10 AM