Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2012, 01:18 PM   #1411
STANIMAL
SUPPORT THE SECOND

Oddometer: 2,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasthands View Post

It's a 1996 XR250RT fitted wit a 2008 Suzuki RMZ tailpipe, piece of piss to adapt and sounds proper BO!.I bought it about two months ago in a sorry state and been busy getting her sorted ever since. I found this forum while looking for info on an Edelbrock QwikSilver 2 carb that I intend to fit when it arrives from the United States. I'm loving the amazing places some people on here get to ride around. Yes I'm very jealous it's shite here in the United Kingdom in comparison..
Good looking bike . Keep us posted on the carb swap , I wonder how thats going to work out.
I'm ignorant, but happy---steyr_scout308
STANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:06 PM   #1412
gvthnks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
Pretty sure my tank was originally white, but it's painted red and the paint's bubbling off. Debating whether to A) ignore it and ride, B) scrape it off and ride unpainted, or C) clean it off and try to repaint it.
Anybody know of a paint that will stick to plastic, not bubble, and match Honda Red?

1911fan
I've had good luck pressure washing an older tank to get the paint off. Haven't heard of a reliable way to paint a plastic tank and it stay for any length of time.

My tank is white and I kept my bike white for that reason even though I had a new set of side covers and fenders that were black.
96 Honda Shadow
93 Honda XR 80
87 Honda XR250r
83 Honda XR350r
73 Honda XL350
73 CB750
73 Yamaha DT-1

wife calls it a sickness. I'm running a M/C rescue
gvthnks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:41 AM   #1413
dynex619
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasthands View Post

It's a 1996 XR250RT fitted wit a 2008 Suzuki RMZ tailpipe, piece of piss to adapt and sounds proper BO!.I bought it about two months ago in a sorry state and been busy getting her sorted ever since. I found this forum while looking for info on an Edelbrock QwikSilver 2 carb that I intend to fit when it arrives from the United States. I'm loving the amazing places some people on here get to ride around. Yes I'm very jealous it's shite here in the United Kingdom in comparison..
sweet id like to swap out my carb soon too, let us know never heard of the edlebrock carbs for bikes
dynex619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:35 AM   #1414
The Shred
Airventurer

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynex619 View Post
Where are all the XRs at?

Bike blubbers when I land a jump. Will try adjusting float level and add a T to the vent.
The Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:37 AM   #1415
Ash-7
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Request for help :-)

Hi Guys,

I need your help/advice. My bike is a Japanese import, model is XLR250RH, Engine is MD17E, Year is 1986.
I want to get parts for it but all I see in my search for parts are stuff like sprockets and chains.
Does anyone know which U.S model is either same or closest as far as parts are concerned?

I'm kind of desperate , your help will be highly appreciated.
Ash-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:41 AM   #1416
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,512
Would help if we knew what you are looking for.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #1417
Ash-7
Adventurer

Quote:
Would help if we knew what you are looking for.

1911fan
- For starters, the kickstarter has a small crack [no e-start] the chinese one the mechanic put on lasted only a week!
- There's a clanking sound from the engine at times but after riding it for a while the sound disappears, anyone know what could be wrong?
- I'm told my exhaust pipe is hardly creating any back pressure which in the long run ruin my valves etc.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:08 PM   #1418
dynex619
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shred View Post

Bike blubbers when I land a jump. Will try adjusting float level and add a T to the vent.
Bike looks dirty

Hoping to get mine done here soon, can't seem to find any place that has the headlight socket that attaches to the wiring harness...
dynex619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:03 PM   #1419
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash-7 View Post
- For starters, the kickstarter has a small crack [no e-start] the chinese one the mechanic put on lasted only a week!
My 200 came with the wrong kickstarter entirely, got the right one off ebay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash-7
There's a clanking sound from the engine at times but after riding it for a while the sound disappears, anyone know what could be wrong?
Does this happen right upon startup, or after you've been riding a while? Can you tell if it's from the top or bottom of the engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash-7
I'm told my exhaust pipe is hardly creating any back pressure which in the long run ruin my valves etc.
Technically true, I'm told- but probably has more to do with how it runs, as exhaust pulses help pull the next cycle's exhaust out of the combustion chamber. Makes it pretty loud, I'll bet!

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:09 AM   #1420
fasthands
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvthnks View Post
I've had good luck pressure washing an older tank to get the paint off. Haven't heard of a reliable way to paint a plastic tank and it stay for any length of time.

My tank is white and I kept my bike white for that reason even though I had a new set of side covers and fenders that were black.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-XR25...item3a7c04b3a5

Check this item out I got a tank from him it's brand new with petcock and cap never had fuel in it he has loads of them. Bargain in my eyes.. He has red ones for earlier bikes too.
fasthands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:20 AM   #1421
fasthands
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynex619 View Post
sweet id like to swap out my carb soon too, let us know never heard of the edlebrock carbs for bikes
Will do chap, it should arrive next week.

Iv'e made a 41mm Keihin FCR from a CRF 450 fit the bike and it works quite well but a pain to get the jetting right. I made an alloy insert to reduce the carb to 32mm and cut away some of the top of the throttle cable housing to get it to fit and used a pull cable only. bit of a job but it ran well and revved to the moon plus no Honda kill switch effect! but the Edelbrock should be a better fit and easier to dial in..

Its an Edelbrock QuickSilver 2 carb. Edelbrock part number #3116 bore size is 30mm wide x 32mm tall. They are discontinued now but do crop up from time to time. They have no jets and are easily adjusted externally, you just swap out the needles to get the right baseline setting then tweak the adjusters to suit your bike/altitude/air temp etc..
fasthands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:00 AM   #1422
SpeedoJosh
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 781
I have the eddie for the XR250. Love it! Bike feels like it runs much better. Starts first kick, easily (as long as idle adjuster is in right position). Did that with the air box mod, and bike really cruises.

Love that white tank for the 250. Wonder if it'd fit a 2000?

-Josh
'Cause I like to party - Story of 2 XR650s conquering Florida
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754094
SpeedoJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:12 AM   #1423
Ash-7
Adventurer

Quote:
Does this happen right upon startup, or after you've been riding a while? Can you tell if it's from the top or bottom of the engine?
The sound's coming from the top and yeah it starts right upon startup.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:36 AM   #1424
STANIMAL
SUPPORT THE SECOND

Oddometer: 2,677
Carb alternative for you guys

http://www.powerapt.com/smartcarb-difference.php
I'm ignorant, but happy---steyr_scout308
STANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:13 AM   #1425
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash-7 View Post
The sound's coming from the top and yeah it starts right upon startup.
If it's got a compression release I'd look at that. Over here, some of the bikes have automatic compression releases, and I've heard of people disabling them because of problems.
It is full of oil, right? How many miles? Valves been adjusted?

1911fan