Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2012, 09:54 AM   #496
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightrod View Post
The Safari tank is killer. I don't remember seeing one that large on a DR before. I love the look. It just means business.
Here ya go:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135295

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:36 PM   #497
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightrod View Post
^ That is outstanding. I love the seat and that it is longer in the back. I have contemplated a pillion set up like yours but you have done it. May I ask yours and your wife dimensions, weight, height, inseam and what you did to the suspension to support the load. Thanks.

The Safari tank is killer. I don't remember seeing one that large on a DR before. I love the look. It just means business.
Hi there, im 5'10' 195pounds 33&1/2" inseam. Dawn is 5'5 130pounds 31" inseam. these figures are without riding gear.
The suspension is quite trick. It has a DRZ 400 front end with 0.48 springs. the rear is an Ohlins with a 0.95 spring. I had the shock valving altered slightly to get it how i like it. There are cheaper alternatives for the suspension.
Here is a link to my build thread. It shows how the seat base was done. Note that the seat in the pics isnt the Russel seat, it was one done locally. the pillion part was alright for Dawn but the rider part was aweful.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=617031
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:58 AM   #498
straightrod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,294
^ Thanks Phil, I will check out your build site.
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:48 AM   #499
planemanx15 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
dr650 tubeless spoke rims

Little update:

I converted my tubed spoke rims to tubeless. I figured it is safer, since a tube tire would usually end in a blow out of the tube, rather then a slow trickle of air. I understand this isnt alway the case, and I could have a full blow out with a tubeless tire, but it is rare.

I used the method outlined on smugmug:

http://cyb.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/K...979444&k=cW2xa

I used JB weld to fill the rim lock holes:

After 2 coats of seal all, 1 coat of goop, and a bath tub test, it was fine. The next day it lost 3 PSI. Took it off, did another water test, and 1 spoke came undone. I resealed it, tested again, and found another spoke came undone!

I sealed that spoke and before the glue completely dried, I filled the tire and tested.. it held 30 PSI for a full day. I lowered it to 27 PSI and it has held fine for 4 days now. I am hopeful that it will be fine now, and can't wait to actually ride.

Thats a Shinko 712 110\90-19

Whats stopping me from riding you might ask?

The lack of a rear wheel. Warp 9 has been great, but if I had 1 complaint it would be time management. I was hoping to get the wheel back with a 17x4.25 in under a month...its been 6 weeks. it finally shipped out this week, so I should get it next Thursday. When I get it I will seal those spokes as well, and run this:

Thats a Shinko 712 150\70-17.

Its a big, fat rear tire... Something I've never ridden with, and sure to be different.
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #500
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Any thoughts on riding the bike hard ... and then having the sealed spokes loosen up as a result? Seems to me they are "Glued" in place ... not sure how they could move, but as you showed in above post, they do apparently move or loosen somehow.

I do rough, rocky roads at very high speed, so I'm a bit concerned about this.
Would be interested to hear opinions or personal experience riding sealed tubeless rims off road.

Thanks!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:14 AM   #501
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,729
Planemanx:
That's going to be nice looking when you get it together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15 View Post
After 2 coats of seal all, 1 coat of goop, and a bath tub test, it was fine. The next day it lost 3 PSI. Took it off, did another water test, and 1 spoke came undone. I resealed it, tested again, and found another spoke came undone!

I sealed that spoke and before the glue completely dried, I filled the tire and tested.. it held 30 PSI for a full day. I lowered it to 27 PSI and it has held fine for 4 days now. I am hopeful that it will be fine now, and can't wait to actually ride.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Any thoughts on riding the bike hard ... and then having the sealed spokes loosen up as a result? Seems to me they are "Glued" in place ... not sure how they could move, but as you showed in above post, they do apparently move or loosen somehow.

Would be interested to hear opinions or personal experience riding sealed tubeless rims off road.

Thanks!
Even though this is The DR650 Highway Touring Thread, I'm curious too.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:56 PM   #502
planemanx15 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Thanks!
Thank you...it should look great.. Doing something else to the bike tomorrow, but I'll show that off when it's complete

If a spoke ever loosens up, the glue comes off with a knife and a little patience. My bike isn't going to see dirt any time soon, unfortunately, so it's always going to be filled with 25-30 PSI and no chance of it coming loose on the bead. I think I went too fast with the initial coat of seal all, and it ended up dripping as I rotated the wheel. This is what probably caused it to open up at those 2 points. Another day past and its still at 26.5 PSI.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:35 PM   #503
planemanx15 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Update.

So I went out to my rim today to check on the pressure and it fell below 16 PSI. When I sprayed some soapy water on it I found that two spokes were leaking. So conclusion, screw it. I ended up taking everything apart and just putting a tube back in and I'm done with this. I really would've liked it to work, but it's not worth the trouble to have to spokes at a time go on me. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong I'm using all the same chemicals on a brand-new rim, so I don't know what is different. I think rather than carrying an entire tube with me, I will get a tube repair kit and keep that on the bike instead. A whole tube is nice because I'd rather only have to open the tire up once to play with the tube. I only use Heavy-duty tubes so that should help out with avoiding a blowout situation.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:28 AM   #504
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Bummer!

Quote:
So I went out to my rim today to check on the pressure and it fell below 16 PSI. When I sprayed some soapy water on it I found that two spokes were leaking. So conclusion, screw it. I ended up taking everything apart and just putting a tube back in and I'm done with this. I really would've liked it to work, but it's not worth the trouble to have to spokes at a time go on me. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong I'm using all the same chemicals on a brand-new rim, so I don't know what is different. I think rather than carrying an entire tube with me, I will get a tube repair kit and keep that on the bike instead. A whole tube is nice because I'd rather only have to open the tire up once to play with the tube. I only use Heavy-duty tubes so that should help out with avoiding a blowout situation.
I tried and failed on this too. I have some feed back on tubes and how to make them a bit safer regards blow-outs. I've had a couple blow outs on tube tired bikes ... and I can tell you, it's frightening! INSTANT air loss!

I'd suggest Slime or Ride-On ... put it in your tube when you mount tire. It stays in there. Good for a year or so. Will it 100% prevent a flat? Maybe. But what it DOES seem to help with is rapid air loss.

Slime and Ride-On can, at the very least, slow down loss of air, and in some cases you won't get a flat at all ... can turn a flat into a slow leak.

It's good against small nails, small stables or small screws. I've tested it in Baja against Cactus thorns, very good on those. NOT SO GOOD against BIG nails or long sheet rock screws which tear up the tube completely in just mile or two riding with them in there. So what the Slime and Ride-On give you is a brief warning ... time to straighten up, slow down and pull over safely. To me, this is a BIG DEAL.

On Spare Tubes and Patching:
I never patch a tube on the road (or trail). Not worth the time/trouble. When far from anywhere I usually carry 3 tubes. One 21" on front fender,
2 rear tubes in luggage.

I don't carry Ultra HD or HD tubes with me. Too bulky and harder to install. BUT ... I do run HD tubes when installing at home where i have all the tools. So ... run HD tubes but carry normal weight tubes on the bike. (quality tubes ... Like Metzeler) Some variables on this depending on what you're doing or where you're going.

When I get a flat I simply put in the spare tube. But first ... check inside of tire for any sharp objects in the tire or stuck through. I've found small nails or staple, you could hardly see ... but your hand will feel them!!! (wear gloves)

If your tube only has minor damage (like one small hole), save it and take it with you. Patch it later back home, at camp or Motel with a cold beer.
Make SURE it's a solid patch and NOT leaking before re-using. Tubes are relatively cheap. I tend to go for NEW TUBES when possible. Or save the patched one for an unprepared riding buddy.

In Mexico, tubes are like GOLD ... I save them and have the Llanteros (tire shop) do a super patch, these don't fail.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:28 PM   #505
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 558
Sorry you've had problems. Reading you post again and Grifter's I went out to garage and checked my pressures.

After three weeks my front is down about 6 lbs and my rear is down about 2 lbs. The air temp is also down 35 degrees from when I aired them up. Will air up the front tomorrow and do a soapy water test on the front. Saw the photos you posted of your sealing and the only thing I saw different was that I used a stainless wire brush to clean and ruffen each nipple. Leaving for a month in Mexico in January and wanted to run tubeless for quick roadside repairs if needed but don't need to take a tubeless problem with me. If the wheels only lose a pound or so a day I would probably stay tubeless since I carry a small 12v compressor with me.

TravelGuy

Quote:
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:57 PM   #506
planemanx15 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELGUY View Post
Sorry you've had problems. Reading you post again and Grifter's I went out to garage and checked my pressures.

After three weeks my front is down about 6 lbs and my rear is down about 2 lbs. The air temp is also down 35 degrees from when I aired them up. Will air up the front tomorrow and do a soapy water test on the front. Saw the photos you posted of your sealing and the only thing I saw different was that I used a stainless wire brush to clean and ruffen each nipple. Leaving for a month in Mexico in January and wanted to run tubeless for quick roadside repairs if needed but don't need to take a tubeless problem with me. If the wheels only lose a pound or so a day I would probably stay tubeless since I carry a small 12v compressor with me.

TravelGuy
Good luck, I hope you have better luck than I did with this. What I'm having trouble with now is trying to find a tube big enough for the 150/70 17 tire on my rear. Can't seem to find it at usual shops. I had to go to my local dealership and told him that I needed a super Moto tube. They had it when I asked for that. I would like to find a heavy duty version.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:27 AM   #507
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELGUY View Post

TravelGuy
Sounds like normal air loss. Temp change can make a big difference. Maybe think about packing a couple tubes as back up? Quality tubes not so common in Latin America but I would go with your tubeless set up ... keep an eye on pressures for the first week. Hope they hold!

!que le via bien!
Old 11-25-2012, 01:02 PM   #508
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Thanks for the input Grifter.

TravelGuy

Quote:
Sounds like normal air loss. Temp change can make a big difference. Maybe think about packing a couple tubes as back up? Quality tubes not so common in Latin America but I would go with your tubeless set up ... keep an eye on pressures for the first week. Hope they hold!

!que le via bien!
DR650 '07
Old 11-25-2012, 03:49 PM   #509
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Sealed Rims

Well Grifter I had to check.

Did another tub test after airing up to 55 lbs. Found a leak at one spoke and possible three more. Since I had to pull the tire off I re did all four. Drill with stainless wire brush to clean off old and reapplying all three coats will take 24 hours. Then I will test again.

TravelGuy
DR650 '07
Old 11-25-2012, 05:18 PM   #510
planemanx15 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I got rid of my faux carbon fiber and were to something a little different...

http://www.metrorestyling.com/3M-108...te1080m261.htm

Took about 30 sq feet to get it right, and there are still a few mistakes. I hope to cover those with some decals.

Not sure how its going to hold up on the IMS tank, but we will see. Suprisingly my girlfriend was really good at applying this stuff. She did the whole tank when I got annoyed at how it was creasing.

I got a few decals, some Suzuki logos, and adv decals. I also found this:

It's a tank decals from a 1960s race bike.. At least that's what the guy on eBay said

Pics to follow...