Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2012, 07:39 AM   #1
Nath87 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Ideal Amps for bmw battery trickle charger?

My normal batter charger has a 2amp setting any one know if this is too high for a bmw 11GS battery?
Nath87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:22 AM   #2
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,243
I don't know for sure about the battery in an 1100, but the new (12 ah, 200 cca=smaller?) Yuasa I just put in my 1200 calls for an ideal rate of 1.4 amps. On the box there's charging instructions calling for "1 hour @ 6 amps or 5 hours @1.5 amps "
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:49 PM   #3
vintagerider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,982
Your question is a good one. The battery, not the vehicle, determines your choice. Once you have identified the make you will determine the age, the current SOC (state of charge), and the type: AGM, flooded/wet or Gel.

Next determine if a maintainer or maintainer/conditioner will suffice. Experienced riders don't let their battery discharge so they rarely need a true charger. If a good battery is ridden for several hours then the alternator will charge it up so you only need a maintainer.

For about $40 you can buy a fully automatic maintainer/conditioner with de-sulfation technology. This advanced technology works either by introducing sweeping high frequency waves or pulses of voltage. Check out Battery Minder #12151. It has advanced full time desulfation with 1.5 amp auto-charge and 5 yr warranty.

Many 11xx riders like to run Odyssey PC680. If you think that your next battery will be PC680 then you might consider spending a bit more for the required charger. I really don't think you can go wrong with the B-M 12151 though. It is much more advanced than Battery Tender and it is also weather proof. I have not tried it on Odyssey yet but plan to.

http://www.batterystuff.com/battery-...s/bm12151.html
vintagerider is offline   Reply With Quote