Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 06:58 PM   #91
petzi-baer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konflict Motorsports View Post
I have been using the Shiver's, but have since swapped to WP for the last 2 sets with much better performance...
So are you planning to offer this new setup to customers and how much would ask for it?
Sorry if that was discussed before ...

petzi-baer
petzi-baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:29 AM   #92
Konflict Motorsports
KM TUNER

Oddometer: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by petzi-baer View Post
So are you planning to offer this new setup to customers and how much would ask for it?
Sorry if that was discussed before ...

petzi-baer
Petzi,
I'd like to keep pricing and such out of this form as I am working on putting something together for a Vendor section post. If you would like more info email me at alex@konflictmotorsports.com so I can forward over my rider profile form for you to fill out.
Alex
Old 11-21-2012, 12:21 PM   #93
NCD
Dirty Hairy

Oddometer: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by petzi-baer View Post
That's not how I understood it. I think they meant for major setup work you can take it out and adjust compression and rebound independently - since one leg is for compression and the other for rebound.

petzi-baer
I have photos of the parts (was asked to not post them yet.) But the top caps look like the usual Ohlins kit. Allen damping adjustment screw inside the preload 'nut'. Looks like externally adjustable to me.
NCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:10 AM   #94
FreeTheBeast
valebat ascensorem

Oddometer: 3,000
Cool2 Best logic yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomZ View Post
Good grief, haven't even got the bike and already trying to change what you "think" is a lousy component? Wait till you get the bike, ride it, and then decide. It blows my mind when working with customers who are looking at a new bike who say "well if i buy the bike i'll need to get a taller windshield" or "i'll need to change the stock tires." People give the interwebs too much credit, just ride the bike and see. For 2013 the F800GS is vastly improved over it's predecessor. Buy it, ride it, and then tweak as needed

Rant over, GL with the new bike
This is the best piece of logic I've seen. It could potentially save $$$$. Thank you for stating the obvious.

I'm in talks with my dealer to trade my R12GSA & g450x for a new F8GS. I believe the F8 will be better suited for the riding I do most often and enjoy the most.

So, it's not completely clear to me...the forks in the 2013 model have changed? I have seen mention that they are now [better?] 43mm WP whereas before they were [crap] 45mm Marzocchi. Is that correct? If this is the case, I'm certainly going to buy the bike and ride it before replacing the suspension.

The Hampster Ride - A mainly dirt route to ride the length of New Hampshire.
Max the Motorcycle - children's book written by Mrs. FTB
SmugMug Photo Gallary
FreeTheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:53 AM   #95
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeTheBeast View Post
This is the best piece of logic I've seen. It could potentially save $$$$. Thank you for stating the obvious.

I'm in talks with my dealer to trade my R12GSA & g450x for a new F8GS. I believe the F8 will be better suited for the riding I do most often and enjoy the most.

So, it's not completely clear to me...the forks in the 2013 model have changed? I have seen mention that they are now [better?] 43mm WP whereas before they were [crap] 45mm Marzocchi. Is that correct? If this is the case, I'm certainly going to buy the bike and ride it before replacing the suspension.
They are 2mm thinner..... I don't think they are better. I thought the stock 45 Z's were ok when I bought my bike back in 2009.....but that changed as the bike went off road. Unless the rider came from the 2012 8GS to the 2013 8GS, and compared, I wouldn't think they could make an accurate comparison. Unless you are rock hopping from the getgo..... you will find it adequate....... I personally don't like the stockers, but does not find it detrimental to the operation. I do plenty of rock hopping, you just gotta brush up on your riding skill, as you cant plow through things.... imho.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:28 AM   #96
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,741
They are 43wp instead of 45mm zokes. They might be better if they were rebuild-able, but I have not seen a post saying that they are.

In the beginning of the suspension threads there were some posters who said being able to tune the suspension is overrated. That is only true, if the sealed up one size fits all is true, but it is not. If you can respring and revalve them to your weight and style that argument has more merit.

The Esa option will be an improvement, because it is an adjustment of the compression valving. Whether that is compatible with any spring changes is yet to be seen.

As to what is wrong with the Marzocchi forks, this was my finding too:http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ho...s/viewall.html

Unfortunately, the last I heard After Shocks is no longer in business for a cheap fix, though Phil Douglas may be around? Desert Dave had one of his fixes.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:43 AM   #97
wipe-out
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
so i just received an answer by the öhlins distribution & test center in germany. they're saying that they were introduced at the intermot as prototypes and would probably be made available in spring 2013. first models are for the f800gs & the tiger 800. no further information is available. he "assumes" they will be plug & play.

maybe if someone has more personal relationships to some öhlins representive there's more details. that's the official bit from "customer support & product manager".
wipe-out is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:24 AM   #98
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
Oh, I get it...because you're from Germany they'll answer your emails.

On another note, the Emig triples were fitted up after some minor tinkering/modification/alteration.

Wheel fits easy, same axle diameter as an 06 and earlier Suzuki. I already had a sleeve turned up out of alloy for the left axle clamp, so I just need to shorten the axle 5mm and it's good.

My 4 piston (thanks Ian) caliper doesn't fit, because it's too wide.

I have the high mount mud guard sorted, the new brake line is coming, and I've ordered some fancy new plastic fork leg protector thing-a-majiggers. Mid next week. Then I'll post pics.

But it's already far stiffer, and spring wise feels about the same as the 0.55kg/mm. I can't remember what spring rate I had in the Showa's. But the static sag is perfect as they are, and they are super firm and stiff as a teenage boy in a room full of naked women.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:38 AM   #99
wipe-out
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
Oh, I get it...because you're from Germany they'll answer your emails.
i threatened to throw a lot of superlong concatenated words at them.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk 2
Old 11-25-2012, 12:19 AM   #100
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Well I changed the front end over.

The problems in no particular order:

The steering head bearings had failed. Badly, as in rachet action. Never noticed until the wheel was off the ground.

The steering stops on the Emig triples are not machined right. I don't have full lock, and I had to use a dremel on them for about 30 mins to get them to clear the steering head and allow the bearing to fully seat.

The Emig steering damper was pissing oil everywhere. There was a missing o-ring on one of the drain screws.

The mount for the steering damper post will only mount if the welds on the frame are neat and tidy. Mine were not.

The steering damper post was too high. Had to trim it down.

The front wheel mounts up without great drama, I used an existing sleeve I had turned up from alloy to allow the use of pre 06 RMZ front wheels in an 07 front end. The BMW axle is the same diameter as the 06 Suzuki. I trimmed 5mm off the axle because the axle clamps are a little narrower than the standard ones.

The bores for the fork tubes were done exactly to the measurements I gave them. But, the triples are so solid that despite being a very tight fit, it's difficult to get the clamps to do up tight enough to stop the fork tubes moving. I got it in the end, but they are tighter than I like alloy being.

I removed one disc, had a new stainless braided line made, and solo the braking is more responsive than it was. I'll wait and see what happens 2 up. I plan on fitting an aftermarket wheel with billet hub and motard disc anyway. It's getting the ABS sorted that's the pain.

So....first ride...I took it up the hardest spurline track I know. I now have no need of my DR with the RMZ suspension front and rear. The BMW is now truely a "trail bike". A big, heavy, hard to stop trail bike, but it's absolutely a trail bike. It is great fun off road now. I can safely say it will bang along at very un-BMW speeds. The looks on the faces of the 2 trail bike riders who were gingerly picking their way down a steep gravel covered trail as I blew past climbing at 60kph and airborne off the erosion bars was priceless. They were like...WTF...and I was like...BWAAAHAHAHAHAHA...BLAT...

Unleash the angry ponies and it is a awe inspiring ride now. The front end works so well that I can feel every little issue from the rear now. I've already spent a small fortune on the Ohlins rear, 3 resprings and 2 revalves...it is light years better than standard, but now I can push hard enough to find the limits of the rear very quickly.

Now I'm going to go and measure the RMZ rear shocks I have in the garage. I'm thinking a hybrid Ohlins/Showa rear may be on the cards.

Pics to follow.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:43 AM   #101
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Unpacked....excited....

OOOOOHHHH goody...

new versus old

Removed some bits

MWAHAHAHAHAHA ...the evil...it grows....
Old 11-25-2012, 02:41 AM   #102
chadams
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:

Unpacked....excited....

Looks like a tidy setup, any details on the forks and custom triples? What wheel are you running?
Old 11-25-2012, 03:46 AM   #103
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Triples are from Emig Racing...www.emigracing.com

Forks are RMZ 450 with 0.49kg/mm springs.

Wheel is standard BMW for now. Stage 2 will see the billet alloy off road race wheel built and installed. Motard sized brakes.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:22 PM   #104
petzi-baer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:

Unpacked....excited....

OOOOOHHHH goody...

new versus old

Removed some bits

Now your screen looks hideous :-)

petzi-baer
petzi-baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:54 AM   #105
wipe-out
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angryrican View Post
wouldn't it be really cruel if this set up was for the new WP legs that are on the 2013's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by biodieselandon View Post
I hope it's for both!
according to öhlins odtc it (probably) won't fit the new model. up until 2012 only. just received the answer to exactly that question.