Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2012, 07:06 PM   #71416
Chill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Still in progress. 3 more days ahead of us.
--> http://drriders.com/topic6350.html
Some nice pics. Thanks. Are they the new Kenda K784 tires? I'd be interested in hearing a few words on your opinion of them when you get back.
Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:32 PM   #71417
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill View Post
Are they the new Kenda K784 tires? I'd be interested in hearing a few words on your opinion of them when you get back.
Yeah, Kenda Big Block in back and a Pirelli Scorpion Rally in front. This is my third K784 and I'm happpy enough with them that I'll probably get another after this one is gone. It's not quite as good a tire (for me) as the TKC80 but in the 150/70-17 size I run it is way less expensive. I don't have fun if I feel like I have to ride to baby my tires.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:02 PM   #71418
Chill
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR27 View Post
So im new to this forum, and new to adv riding, but am considering an adv bike for my next steed. I have just written off (not my fault) my owned from new 06 GSXR1000, and thought it might be time for a change. i loved the gixxer (had handlebars and a swag of other mods) but sadly, it was taken away from me in a accident.

Currently, 95% of my riding is commuting, but i was hoping to spend a little time exploring, now im over the need for speed. since im new to dirt (have ridden some dirtbikes in a padock, but ill still consider myself new), i was thinking of a smaller adv bike.

some options ive considered now are

DR650
KLR650
Husky TR650

I have a budget of about 11K AUD, and cant ride till mid jan at earliest next year (broken hand requiring pins and plates, and a broken wrist). as mentioned commuting in traffic, along highways (100kph) and normal streeta (60) is the norm, with the odd trip off road. Once i finish uni, and back in a high paying job, ill look at r1200gs etc, but for now, cheap, functional and good are requirements.

Here in oz, the klr and dr are about 2k cheaper than the husky, but the husky looks to be better std.

So since this is the dr thread - why should i buy a dr?
I had a KLR as a courtesy bike for a day or two, felt very tall and under powered. At the time I didn't have a DR so it's not a direct comparison but now I have a DR it doesn't feel tall or under powered. I like the simplicity of the DR. I had a ZX10 before the DR, so, like you, I went from a litre sportsbike to a 650 trail bike. I can honestly say that it's the best bike I've ever had. Like you, I also thought this would be a stepping stone to something like a GS or a Super Tenere but in all honesty, if someone handed me the keys to a brand new GS1200 and offered to swap bike for bike... I'd keep the DR. A bloke at work has just bought a Panigale and although it's gorgeous, if I had to ride it, I'd rather have my DR.

As you know here in Australia we have very low speed limits that are enforced with zero tolerance it seems. I'm sure owning a gixer-thou for six years in Brisbane you are familiar with speeding tickets. You won't be having this problem with the DR, it's a pleasure to ride around town, and is known affectionately here as the bush-pig for good reason
Old 11-22-2012, 10:18 PM   #71419
Chill
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Yeah, Kenda Big Block in back and a Pirelli Scorpion Rally in front. This is my third K784 and I'm happpy enough with them that I'll probably get another after this one is gone. It's not quite as good a tire (for me) as the TKC80 but in the 150/70-17 size I run it is way less expensive. I don't have fun if I feel like I have to ride to baby my tires.
Cool, thanks.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:23 PM   #71420
GTR27
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
I had a KLR as a courtesy bike for a day or two, felt very tall and under powered. At the time I didn't have a DR so it's not a direct comparison but now I have a DR it doesn't feel tall or under powered. I like the simplicity of the DR. I had a ZX10 before the DR, so, like you, I went from a litre sportsbike to a 650 trail bike. I can honestly say that it's the best bike I've ever had. Like you, I also thought this would be a stepping stone to something like a GS or a Super Tenere but in all honesty, if someone handed me the keys to a brand new GS1200 and offered to swap bike for bike... I'd keep the DR. A bloke at work has just bought a Panigale and although it's gorgeous, if I had to ride it, I'd rather have my DR.

As you know here in Australia we have very low speed limits that are enforced with zero tolerance it seems. I'm sure owning a gixer-thou for six years in Brisbane you are familiar with speeding tickets. You won't be having this problem with the DR, it's a pleasure to ride around town, and is known affectionately here as the bush-pig for good reason
Cheers. once my hand heals and I can ride again, i'll definately test ride everything. But the DR looks very tempting - its so cheap compared to any of the others (KLR excepted) and looks like its good value.
GTR27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:53 PM   #71421
Chill
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR27 View Post
Cheers. once my hand heals and I can ride again, i'll definately test ride everything. But the DR looks very tempting - its so cheap compared to any of the others (KLR excepted) and looks like its good value.
Keep an eye out for the promos, there's usually some sort of kickback deal that brings the price down to almost what the rest of the world pays for bikes. Sunstate have the best deal at the moment.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:43 PM   #71422
Magnum Noel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Here's a piccy:

Looks in really good condition. In NZ the DR650 is now a learner approved bike because of its low power to weight ratio. Have you checked your regulations lately? Might be OK to ride!
Magnum Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:34 AM   #71423
Slideways#96
scooter trash

Oddometer: 431
Quote:
You running that 150/70/17 on a stock dr rim? Tire shopping now, pretty set on a pair of 705's on extra set of wheels for those times I'll be doing more slab. Got 606's on original set of wheels but I burn these up pretty quick when much slab involved.
Slideways#96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:19 AM   #71424
Anklyne
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Noel View Post
Looks in really good condition. In NZ the DR650 is now a learner approved bike because of its low power to weight ratio. Have you checked your regulations lately? Might be OK to ride!
Most of Australia is using the LAMS system (Learner Approved) and WA will finally be changing over at the end of the year. I don't want to wait until then, plus if I get my unrestricted license now, I can use this bike to do my test.

Although because it's summer and everyone is getting their license, I might not get a test until early next year, in which case it won't really matter

I did a bit of work on the bike today. Unlike my beaten up old TT250, it was just small little tweaks I had to do.
I removed the vertical section of the rack, fixed a couple of twisted/taped joints for the RHS rear indicator, removed the side-stand kill switch (which wasn't working anyway), re-routed the throttle cables correctly so they weren't being pulled taut at full lock and just generally had a good look over the bike.

Does anyone know what this connector is for? Two of the connections are shorted with some wire and all four of them head back into the wiring loom. Unfortunately I didn't take note of which wires were shorted. It's located on the LHS near the CDI.
Anklyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:31 AM   #71425
buckrut1972
H.R. Nightmare

Oddometer: 107
Eh? Heated Grips for DR

After spending $140 on gloves a bit ago that 29 degree ride in this morning finally did it for me. I NEED HEATED GRIPS. I see lots of models but can anyone point me in the right direction? I prefer the easier the set up the better.But I'll take anything at this point.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:43 AM   #71426
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,078
Quote:
..is known affectionately here as the bush-pig for good reason
And when it won't run is renamed affectionately to "Big Push".
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:52 AM   #71427
Jammin
Living on a DR

Oddometer: 1,516
Ha! Found the culprit: clogged fuel filter (paper core). Replaced it with a new spare (copper core) and sanDRina runs like a champ! Went for a 60 km test ride and no issues. I think that was it Continuing south tomorrow

Come on, motorcycle gods, what else you got? Let me have it.

I got jolted last night and told myself that 'give up' isn't in my dictionary. I beat my demons back in their cave and listened to the advice from ADV brethren who directed me to inspect this part.
If I don't make it to the next town tomorrow, I'll figure it out

Thanks!!!

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:58 AM   #71428
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
. It is the wise man who uses his friends and their broad knowledge and creative ideas to solve the unsolvable.
+1
Old 11-23-2012, 05:36 AM   #71429
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slideways#96 View Post
You running that 150/70/17 on a stock dr rim?
No. I have what I call 'Adventure Wheels'. A 4.25x17 rear and a 2.75x19 front.
Makes the bike much feel more planted on the twisty pavement without giving up anything significant in off-road capability. It would be a bad idea to run a 150 tire on the stock rim.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:56 AM   #71430
Ridin'nFishin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
Ha! Found the culprit: clogged fuel filter (paper core). Replaced it with a new spare (copper core) and sanDRina runs like a champ! Went for a 60 km test ride and no issues. I think that was it Continuing south tomorrow

Come on, motorcycle gods, what else you got? Let me have it.

I got jolted last night and told myself that 'give up' isn't in my dictionary. I beat my demons back in their cave and listened to the advice from ADV brethren who directed me to inspect this part.
If I don't make it to the next town tomorrow, I'll figure it out

Thanks!!!

Great!

Now ride.