Words and music: carlos mejia godoy
[ Lyrics from:
http://www.vimeo.com/7780879
mundobravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:53 AM   #17
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,004
If you want to see a culturally interesting part of Nicaragua, from Matagalpa take the road (there is only one) that goes to Puerto Cabezas on the east coast. A totally different and interesting experience from the gringo trail.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:46 AM   #18
Chiriqui Charlie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Crash,

This is exactly the sort of info I need! Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have considered this route. Can you give me an idea of how long it takes to ride it? I'm not as seasoned a traveler as most on this forum, and I'm not as young and strong either! Is there anyplace to spend the night before the coast?
Chiriqui Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:20 AM   #19
TeeVee
His mudda was a mudda!

Oddometer: 740
the road crash mentioned is long and in a permanent state of shittiness. if it rains, which it shouldn't this time of year, parts of it may be impassible on anything but knobbies and good mud riding skills. gas is not easily available, although if you ask, people will sell you some. the quality however, may not be all that great. the road goes through the northern autonomous region (RAAS) where much of the population is indigenous as opposed to being of european decent. it is an area high in crime, even compared to managua. get caught riding at night and you may never be heard from again. even locals stay off the roads after dark, so PLAN WELL and give yourself PLENTY of time. as you get close to the coast, there is a stronger presence of drug related crap, since the caribbean is a direct traffic route from south america.

as for hotels, there probably are not any between matagalpa and puerto cabezas, although you may find a hostel or two.

p.m. me for a good pdf map of nicaragua
TeeVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:11 AM   #20
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

There might be a hotel or two in Rosita, but I didnt want to hang around there long, felt like a pretty sketchy place populated by quite a few questionable looking characters. I did wind up doing some night riding closer to Puerto Cabezas before the ferry crossing, and I agree that its probably not the best idea. The sketchiness factor definitely escalated as night fell, and I was not feeling real comfortable about it.

I was with two friends from El Salvador which was nice, but since we rode at different speeds, most of the time I was solo and would meet up with them a few times during the day. In hindsight it might have been a bit safer to stick together the entire day.

When I went through it was March, and was fairly dry, but there were some sections of mud. However, there were some decent lines to take without burying the bike up to the swing arm. All in all I felt the road conditions were not really that bad, nothing like I experienced in parts of Guyana and in the northern Amazon. Mostly just shitty pot holed dirt road, lots of sharp rocks in sections, some mud, some sandy and muddy whooped out sections, but nothing that I felt was really the least bit challenging on an off road bike. The numerous bridges were in pretty bad shape and if youre not real careful you could wind up falling through them where planks are missing. Now all that said, the road sure did look like it had the potential get get really shitty during the wet season.

At one point I was on a pretty deserted section of road and my windscreen add on piece fell off and I didnt notice it for a while. I back tracked to try and find it and as I was poking around in the grass, two pretty rough looking characters appeared on horseback, carrying obviously Russian or Chinese made automatic rifles. I immediately felt like it could become a not so nice situation and was getting a bit concerned, hoping that Mario or Juan Carlos would be coming along soon. I dont know why I thought that, maybe just the safety in numbers thing. But they didnt arrive. Then one of the guys reaches into his saddle bag, pulls out my plexiglass piece and hands it down to me. Then I relaxed a bit.

I didnt have any issues, but I could definitely see the potential for some bad stuff to go down in that part of the country.

The trip from Matagalpa is a long, hot, and tiring day, no doubt about it.

Still, it was a pretty interesting experience riding through there and worth the effort. Would I do it again? Probably not, but I'm glad it did it once. It was a totally different experience from the rest of Nicaragua.

Most of the landscape looks like this:

The fact that there was actually a sign in this village just blew me away. So I guess this is the right road. The only sign I saw all day long.

And lots of sights like this:

Many little villages:

Quite a few bridges like this that can literally sneak up on you if youre moving at a pretty good clip, so you have to be really careful, standard Central America stuff.

Middle of Semana Santa, and pretty much no tourists:

But there were some nice girls.

On the ferry near Cabezas at the end of a very long, hot, tiring day.

crashmaster screwed with this post 11-22-2012 at 10:19 PM
Old 11-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #21
mundobravo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,117
Crash , thanks for posting about this part of Nicaragua. I was always wondering , now I'm not. Ferry to where ?
http://www.vimeo.com/7780879
mundobravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:24 AM   #22
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mundobravo View Post
Crash , thanks for posting about this part of Nicaragua. I was always wondering , now I'm not. Ferry to where ?
Sure thing amigo. Its just a small river ferry about 10 miles outside of Puerto Cabezas.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:53 AM   #23
Chiriqui Charlie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

This is what makes this forum so great! Now I have seen enough of this part of Nicaragua to assuage my curiosity. A long day over a hot bumpy road to experience not so much, I think I'll save my limited time to go other places!
Old 11-22-2012, 05:23 PM   #24
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mundobravo View Post
Crash , thanks for posting about this part of Nicaragua. I was always wondering , now I'm not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiriqui Charlie View Post
Now I have seen enough of this part of Nicaragua to assuage my curiosity. I think I'll save my limited time to go other places!

For some reason I think that I should I feel insulted? If you want to know where not to waste your time going, just read where crash went.

You mean even the girl with the boobs and Mona Lisa smile didnt inspire you guys?

crashmaster screwed with this post 11-22-2012 at 09:41 PM
Old 11-23-2012, 04:16 AM   #25
TeeVee
His mudda was a mudda!

Oddometer: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
For some reason I think that I should I feel insulted? If you want to know where not to waste your time going, just read where crash went.

You mean even the girl with the boobs and Mona Lisa smile didnt inspire you guys?
kinda makes you wonder why they call this site "adventure" rider...

Charlie, there is plenty to see. just not anything that will blow you away...except for some of them hotties! and there are plenty of them on that side
TeeVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:42 AM   #26
Chiriqui Charlie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

OK, the Chica is cute, but my butt isn't as tough as some, and two days over bumpy rocky roads doesn't particularly appeal to me, since I have a limited amount of time that I am allowed to be away from home! Crash provided a valuable service, showing me pics of that part of the country. Perhaps Bluefields has a somewhat similar culture, and is easier to reach.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:32 AM   #27
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Seriously though, glad you found the info useful.

Buen viaje!

Old 11-24-2012, 06:26 PM   #28
Habibi Rocks
Banned

Oddometer: 58
Dude , quit holding out on the chica fotos i know you got more !!!!!!

Habibi Rocks screwed with this post 11-24-2012 at 06:31 PM
Habibi Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:39 PM   #29
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habibi Rocks View Post
Dude , quit holding out on the chica fotos i know you got more !!!!!!

yep.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:10 PM   #30
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post

I'm inspired.

bananaman is online now   Reply With Quote