Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 03:31 AM   #511
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Oddometer: 951
Thumb Did someone say stickers??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAD DAMAGE View Post
Why yes, yes you do have one of my stickers!

I gave it to you when we chatted out at the obstacle course/ GS Giant track in Sedalia this last summer. (remember that cool summer day?) I was hoping for a "Tiffany" sticker, but was way too shy to ask if you had any. Enjoyed your talk that afternoon, BTW.

Thanks for ignoring my sophmoric comment above ......... maam.

Rob
Shy??? Actually Rob, I would have given you a sticker without you asking, BUT I didn't have any, sorry. To be honest, stickers are a bit of a Yank thing, but the last few years I've had some done for my trips as they're easy to carry and make good gifts when I'm staying in remote places (we're talking Kyrgyzstan rather than Kentucky). But I didn't have any left when I was in America. Next trip, you'll have to be around to "bump" into me somewhere and I'll give you a sticker then.

www.tiffanystravels.co.uk
Tiffany's youtube video
Tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:18 AM   #512
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 831
How's it feel to be back?

Hi Tiffany....now that you're back home do you have an trouble re-integrating into your "static" life? Is it easier knowing that you will be doing another trip fairly soon? Does being on the road now feel "normal", making the static life more of a period of downtime and recharging.....but not really "the normal" any longer? I've asked a few riders who went out for a long time and then came back, if the ride experience was so transformative that the "old" life they returned to now seemed unsatisfying. Just wondering what your observations are on this.
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:46 AM   #513
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Thumb Life after the Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader54 View Post
Hi Tiffany....now that you're back home do you have an trouble re-integrating into your "static" life? Is it easier knowing that you will be doing another trip fairly soon? Does being on the road now feel "normal", making the static life more of a period of downtime and recharging.....but not really "the normal" any longer? I've asked a few riders who went out for a long time and then came back, if the ride experience was so transformative that the "old" life they returned to now seemed unsatisfying. Just wondering what your observations are on this.
Hmm, Blader, it's always a tricky one. I adore life on the road and motorcycle travel is my passion, however I am also a real home bird and love my life at home. I live on the coast in a beautiful part of the country and can't think of any other place I'd want to live (most Yanks are familiar with Doc Martin...so think of that on the telly). I surf, sea kayak and do a lot of walking plus most of my family live nearby, so I do enjoy being there. There is always a feeling of loss at the end of a big journey, it's over and it's been a vivid experience that I've lived through, but there's lots to look forward to at home as well.

Yes, it helps if I've got another trip on the horizon, but I'm not always in that situation. I'm generally ready for a stint at home but having had a childhood that involved a lot of moving because my Dad was in the Army, it feels quite normal to be on the move.

I know this sort of lifestyle doesn't suit everyone, but it's one that I enjoy.

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 11-23-2012, 06:35 AM   #514
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Hi Tiffany. Thanks for your thoughtful reply. Your childhood experiences with frequent moves probably help, as you say. You probably went through that "threw off the traces" feeling on your first journey years ago. I think sometimes we (maybe especially Yanks) tend to think in terms of that "one big trip" as something that is outside of our "normal" lives, and when the trip is over we have to go "back" to our lives. But you seem to have integrated motorcycling into your life so that it's part of it. Sometimes what I see in RTW or other reports of very long rides is a sense that as "the end" nears there is not just satisfaction mixed with let-down, but also a sort of "what will I do now?" feeling. But for some, I think even a long trip is just a part of a much greater trip, and being "home" is fine -- because they know the trip will be continuing later on. From that perspective, you are still on your initial trip that started with that trip to Oz years ago. The different legs of that trip have been separated by periods enjoyed at home but it's all part of the same fabric. Does that make sense?
Old 11-29-2012, 06:05 AM   #515
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Talking Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader54 View Post
Hi Tiffany. Thanks for your thoughtful reply. Your childhood experiences with frequent moves probably help, as you say. You probably went through that "threw off the traces" feeling on your first journey years ago. I think sometimes we (maybe especially Yanks) tend to think in terms of that "one big trip" as something that is outside of our "normal" lives, and when the trip is over we have to go "back" to our lives. But you seem to have integrated motorcycling into your life so that it's part of it. Sometimes what I see in RTW or other reports of very long rides is a sense that as "the end" nears there is not just satisfaction mixed with let-down, but also a sort of "what will I do now?" feeling. But for some, I think even a long trip is just a part of a much greater trip, and being "home" is fine -- because they know the trip will be continuing later on. From that perspective, you are still on your initial trip that started with that trip to Oz years ago. The different legs of that trip have been separated by periods enjoyed at home but it's all part of the same fabric. Does that make sense?
I feel like I've had a free session on the psychiatrist's couch!

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 11-29-2012, 06:11 AM   #516
Ks-Rydr
from the land of Toto

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post
I feel like I've had a free session on the psychiatrist's couch!

Old 11-29-2012, 06:21 AM   #517
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Question What Next...

So, I'm safely home, what next??
Thelma's new saddle arrived from Bill Mayer
http://billmayer-saddles.com/BMS/

And she looks great with it on.

I'm ready for more adventures. As many of you know, I was due to head overseas this Autumn, but I had to put that plan on hold. My lovely father was diagnosed with cancer - Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, just before I left America and flew home. I've cancelled all long trips away while we wait and see; he's coping well with the chemo and has an incredible attitude and fighting spirit so we hope for the best. We'll know more in the New Year when they do the next batch of tests and I'll maybe make plans then. All thos exotic faraway places will be there next year and the year after, but my Dad, maybe not. I'm spending a lot of time with him and my Mum and feeling lucky that I live relatively close to them, which makes it easier to pop in and see him. He's the best Dad in the world and I don't want to lose him. All positive thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Now that I've made myself cry, I'd better put up another "Tiff and her weird bike habits" picture.

With Thelma's new bike seat here, I had to send the borrowed one back to Steptoe in London, I don't have a car and so I attached the rather large parcel on the back of Thelma and off we went to the post office, where they're quite used to me and my postal habits. And although it's sunny, it's pretty cold here in England and so I am back to my multiple layers under my bike gear, leading to my Michelin Man appearance.

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 11-29-2012, 06:57 AM   #518
dashmoto
Serial Tinkerer

Oddometer: 414
Sounds familiar .

I'm currently breaking one of my old bikes that I was never going to get running again, so there's been a lot of posting of stuff to eBay buyers. The last round I had about half a dozen packages to go out at once, and didn't have time to get home from work, put the bike away, and walk to the Post Office before it closed. I ended up riding down there with them all in a big blue Ikea bag (which they filled completely) bungeed on the back of the bike.

If I haven't said so before, I've really enjoyed reading this ride report. I'm out there for twelve weeks next year, so I've been taking notes ;)

Best wishes to you and your family at this difficult time.

www.dashmoto.net
dashmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:11 AM   #519
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Wishing a speedy recovery

Tiffany, I'm so sorry to hear of your Dad's illness. I'll be sending good thoughts his way and to you and all of your family. Here's hoping for a full recovery.

And yet somehow you manage to inject some lightness into this news. That's awesome. Hang in there!

No charge for the psychiatric session!
Old 11-29-2012, 07:29 AM   #520
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,092
Tiff, wishing all the best for your father.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:51 AM   #521
Seba1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
I wish that your dad will be soon ok.

Love your travels .
Seba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:30 AM   #522
Chris K
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
All the best to your Dad.
Mine's been diagnosed with Parkinson's and is recovering from severe depression.
Parents eh?

Chris K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:01 PM   #523
M1tch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Aw Tiffany, sorry to hear about your Dad. Best wishes for a recovery.

As for the parcels. I have done similar years back when my car was broken down. It's amazing how much you can get on a bike....it's the looks you get heading along the road that's funny.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:09 PM   #524
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,164
Good thoughts flowing to your dad and the entire Tiffany clan...here's hoping your dad makes a speedy and complete recovery.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:42 PM   #525
ROAD DAMAGE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 839
Hi

Hi Tiffany,

Just getting caught up after sorta' being incommunicado over the Thanksgiving holiday.

I was so sorry to read about your Dad's diagnosis. I know that there are many of your friends and fans here on ADV Rider that are of the age, where they have had similar experiences with parents. I'd say many of us here know exactly what you are going through and how you're feeling. Sending some good wishes to the Coates family from Colorado. Dad may need a good dose of "throttle therapy" soon, you know.

The post in which you described where you live and what it's like, was really poignant and interesting. I was unfamiliar with Doc Martin until just recently. My wife watches it and I recently became interested ............ because of the scenery. Soooooo................... If you still are somewhat in "ride report mode", would you mind posting a few pictures sometime of the general area where you live. I already know you are nifty with a camera.

Thanks for continuing to "take us along".

Best wishes to your Dad,

Rob