User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2012, 08:51 AM   #1
HapHazard OP
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,190
HD Softail Wheels - Will They Fit?

I'm working on a 2000 Softail Standard that sat in a damp barn (with cows) for about 6 years. The wheel rims are rusty. I mean 1960's Japanese, British and Italian rim rusty. Big nasty pitted areas where the chrome is gone. I found a guy in another state selling wheels (front & rear) from a 2000 Softail Springer (also 21" front rim) for sale. Will they fit?

My searching on parts fisches show the front spoke kits and rims themselves are the same, but the part numbers for the front hubs are different (the Standard hub is polished, the Springer is chrome) - but are they dimensionally the same?

Thanks very much!!!
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #2
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,190
The wheels will fit. I think you may have issues getting the front brake sorted. Nothing you can't overcome but the springer is still using the front caliper from '99 and earlier. Some shimming of the caliper or rotor could be needed. Wheel spacers may be different as well. Don't have a parts book here at the house but i could check tomorrow if ya need.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:01 PM   #3
HapHazard OP
t00 0ld 2b n00b

^If you think it would do any good, I'd appreciate it. I measured the Standard's front hub width at 6 3/8" - I'll ask the seller to measure the Springer's and seen if it's the same.
If it all goes to hell, I guess I could always rebuild the wheel with the Standard's hub and the Springer's spokes and rim. I've never done one, but you got to start sometime.

Thanks for your help, anotherguy!
Old 11-23-2012, 06:46 AM   #4
Clint Taurus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 789
Given any thought to having the wheels media blasted and powder coated and just rebuild everything? Just askin...
Old 11-23-2012, 09:38 AM   #5
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Rear wheel spacers are the same. Front left is the same,front right are different for each model Softail. Part # is 40910-00 for FXST,44029-00 for Springer. Don't have any around to measure so keep yours separate while working to make it easy.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:50 AM   #6
natez1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
Rear wheel spacers are the same. Front left is the same,front right are different for each model Softail. Part # is 40910-00 for FXST,44029-00 for Springer. Don't have any around to measure so keep yours separate while working to make it easy.
Remember springers have the caliper bracket attached to the axle on the right for fXsts and left on fLsts, so yes spacers are different.
natez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:47 AM   #7
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Yeah.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #8
HapHazard OP
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Many thanks guys!

Hopefully I'll be able to pick up the wheels and not have the shame of rusty rims!

I have considered blasting and coating, but prefer a nice chrome wheel, whenever possible.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:24 PM   #9
HapHazard OP
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Success! (it comes so infrequently)

Got the wheels - chrome is very good, spokes are very clean, and the hub width measures the same as the Standard (looks identical to the calibrated eyeball, except it's chrome instead of polished). They even have good bearings, though the tires are worn and hard (I'll probably get Pirelli Routes).

Any suggestions on a good solvent to clean out the old red Loctite scraps from the disk brake mounting holes?

Thanks again - these will really help!
Old 11-25-2012, 07:00 AM   #10
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

This or something like it. It's a rethreading tap. Using taps to clean threads does the job a little too well and solvents don't work on old loctite in my experience

Old 05-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #11
HapHazard OP
t00 0ld 2b n00b

An update (I work slow, and post slower):
After cleaning the wheel/spokes/hub and mounting the brake disc and new tire, a long detour from a fork leg that refused to come out willingly, repairing the fork nut which was damaged in the process of making the fork leg surrender, and lots of other busy work, I put the wheel on the Softail, and hmmm, the front wheel isn't centered in the fender.

So I rounded up a couple of 8' long box-section steel pieces to use as an alignment tool, and the wheel is offset to one side, relative to the rear wheel. So I look in the service manual, and in the "Truing Laced Wheel" section, I see that the offset dimension is different for the Springer and Standard front wheels by about 0.2". They give a procedure to change the offset, but I believe I'll hand this off to my trusty indy, as me and wheel truing just isn't a good match.