Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 04:32 PM   #1036
Little General
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hey guys, I haven't logged on here in years since I sold my KLR 650. I've been looking at dual sport bikes for a couple months. I thought I wanted a Kawasaki KLX 250 with the 17" wheels with the on-off road tires on it. Saw one on ebay and it looked cool. Then I ran across the Honda . I've had a few different bikes in the last 10 years, always seem to buy what my friends were riding. Older guys, cruisers, younger guys, rockets, but all my early years ( 6-18 yrs) I rode a SL-175 then a MR 250 Honda. Went with my dad when I turned 16 to buy a 1980 Honda XL250, but he would not let me buy it. Now I'm 48 and I can buy it if I want. So, I went to my local Honda dealer and the owner used to work for me when he was a kid. Anyway, he had 1 left out of 4 he ordered. i asked why he orderd so few and he said the dealers were afraid the bikes would be a flop, boy was he wrong. He said dealers are calling from all over the east coast offering him $500 over his cost to let them have it. I didn't ask how long it takes to get more or if he had more on the way. I really just stopped to look at one in person and as it turned out, the owner wants some work done at his house and early next year we are going to trade a bike for particle payment against my labor.He says Honda offers him an end of year deal where he gets credit against Hondas like a bonus. He said he will get me a bike as part of his bonus, maybe even a white one. But I like the red a lot. I hope you guys keep working on your bikes making them better so when I get mine all the bugs will be worked out.
Little General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:35 PM   #1037
Harcomo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerillah View Post
I would say this video is accurate of the sound, I did the muffler and header at the same time so i can't tell you how it would sound with the muffler alone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=WveN79a7Z2g#!

At cruising speeds, it isn't loud (actually quite nice) but definitely gets loud as you crank the throttle. I should have used my dB meter to take measurements... sorry!

I'll try taking a video on Friday with audio gain control turned off (so that it doesnt try to amplify the sound).
OK, thanks! A video would be great if you can make one. I'm sure other's would appreciate it also.
Harcomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:08 AM   #1038
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,418
http://japan.webike.net/HONDA/CRF250...model&p.m=6335

$$$$$ Farkles for CRF from Japan. Especially interesting are the different styles of racks and attachment methods.
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:19 AM   #1039
DirtyBlackIrish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider1 View Post
Thanks for doing this !

We appreciate it a lot !

Dave

That we do!
Old 11-22-2012, 09:40 AM   #1040
billfires
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Has anyone come across wider mirrors than the stock ones? I wear a size 56 jacket and the mirrors are almost totally blocked when I am riding. Thanks, Bill C
billfires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:41 PM   #1041
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerillah View Post
Some mods... Still got handlebars sitting since I can't get my stock throttle tube off... :( Stupid phillips screws

Untitled by Guerillah, on Flickr
Is that a Seat Concepts seat on your bike?

How bout an ass report?
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:57 AM   #1042
Bladez
n00b

Oddometer: 9
From you pics I can see that you disassembled the muffler, but what mods did you actually make to it? Maybe it'll be obvious once I take mine apart and compare it to your photo but so far I am not seeing what your mod was. If you took the screen off, then cut the pipe shorter and put the screen back on, how much did you cut off? Any details would be great as I can't afford an aftermarket pipe plus I find them too loud. I would prefer to open this one up a bit without getting carried away.

Also, I'd like to get one of those Dobeck FI controllers but their website doesn't even list them. Can anyone recommend the cheapest place to get them and hopefully a place that'll ship to Thailand? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt699 View Post
Hey guys, I am new to this forum. I have been riding dirt bikes for a while and just got a CRF250L which is my first DS. I am a big fan of DIY modding and tinkering around with things so naturally I modded the exhaust with the help of my friend, check it out..

For all of you smokey bears out there I will be installing a spark arrestor in the near future. but overall it woke the bike up a bit and the EFI system seems to cope with it quite well. I want to modd the air box but not sure if I should wait to get a power commander before I go messing around too much. let me know what you gents think

oh yeah, and I can actually hear the bike at speed so I know what my RPMs are aroundabout.
Bladez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:54 AM   #1043
yyz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Mirrors

Quote:
Has anyone come across wider mirrors than the stock ones? I wear a size 56 jacket and the mirrors are almost totally blocked when I am riding. Thanks, Bill C
just google motorcycle mirror extenders, lots of different products
yyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:43 AM   #1044
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,418
CRF Spark Arrestor

The Honda spark arrestor hasn't changed much since the early 80's. The "arrestor" is the fine mesh screen that you can see in Dirt699's second picture. The exhaust flows thru the screen, thru "windows" cut in the tube, then out the end. The version of Honda spark arrestor I am most familiar with is the Honda XR400R. The earliest model...like my '96 had a tube similar to the CRF, with very large windows (much bigger than the CRF). Then to quiet it more, there was a "pea shooter" stuffed into the tube after the "windows". Later models had smaller windows, and more restrictive "pea shooters" to meet stricter (lower dB) sound ratings. The size of the windows, the restriction of the mesh size, and the peashooter restriction can make the exhaust louder or quieter, and power is inversely proportional to restriction. The point I am getting to is, theoretically, redesigning the spark arrestor insert with bigger windows, and increasing the inside diameter of the tube may be a cheaper alternative to a whole new muffler to improve power. I redesigned the spark arrestor and peashooter on my XR400, and the power increase was very impressive, and inexpensive. Of course, there are other reasons to eliminate the ENTIRE CRF muffler because it is HEAVY, and there is the additional restriction of the catalyst buried in the muffler. Folks who cut a window in the Yamaha WR250R muffler to remove the catalyst report very significant increase in power. Finally, Rocky Mt ATV sells their Lexx slip on mufflers for many models, and is comparatively inexpensive ($199). It is a very popular exhaust for the cost conscious KLR650 owners. Unfortunately, there is nothing for the CRF...yet. So, bottom line is there may be alternatives to spending nearly $1K on an obnoxiously loud CRF aftermarket muffler.
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:16 AM   #1045
SugarDust
Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
... Unfortunately, there is nothing for the CRF...yet. So, bottom line is there may be alternatives to spending nearly $1K on an obnoxiously loud CRF aftermarket muffler.
It's too bad that the FMF q4 for this bike is so loud (sounds like at the 96db limit they advertise) I have had Q2/4 slip ons in the past and they were significantly quieter than this seems to be. I applaud FMF for getting it to market and all their efforts at sound reduction, yet this is disappointing.

2013 KTM 250 XC-W
2013 Honda CRF250L
2011 BMW F650GS

SugarDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:02 AM   #1046
Guerillah
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by siyeh View Post
Is that a Seat Concepts seat on your bike?

How bout an ass report?
Most comfortable motorcycle seat i've ever been on, highly recommended. Install took about 30 minutes with an electric powered stapler, not very hard but may need a buddy to help out.
Guerillah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:47 AM   #1047
hrcs90
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladez View Post
From you pics I can see that you disassembled the muffler, but what mods did you actually make to it? Maybe it'll be obvious once I take mine apart and compare it to your photo but so far I am not seeing what your mod was. If you took the screen off, then cut the pipe shorter and put the screen back on, how much did you cut off? Any details would be great as I can't afford an aftermarket pipe plus I find them too loud. I would prefer to open this one up a bit without getting carried away.

Also, I'd like to get one of those Dobeck FI controllers but their website doesn't even list them. Can anyone recommend the cheapest place to get them and hopefully a place that'll ship to Thailand? Thanks!

Its not listed on there Dobeck Performance site, its on there Electronic Jet Kit site:
http://electronicjetkit.com/DirtBike...number=9110028

And they will ship to Thailand.
hrcs90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:50 AM   #1048
bellsmx
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Newbie on CRF250L

Hi guys, Just got myself a new CRF250L for trail riding in the winter here in the UK. Seem to be a popular bike around the world.
I have just fitted a pair of billet aluminium footpegs onto it and a red/black gear lever. Great little trail bike and looking to get the fmf system for it soon to free up a bit more power.
bellsmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:27 AM   #1049
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,092
Another new CRF owner here!

I'm following you around here B1.....

When I first read about this bike I thought it would be the perfect bike for Nancy. Her will to get off the beaten path more and more on her 650GS has proven she needs a smaller bike. This one fits the bill perfectly.
Our local dealer called me and said they had one just come in so we jumped on it and are very happy we did.

She didn't waist much time getting it dirty and testing it out. I didn't waist any time taking/cutting parts off and swapping out other key parts from her GS.
Day 1 of CRFL ownership she had a blast in the dirt, day 2 I installed ROX risers, ProTaper KX High bars, HDB guards, and heated grips, along with taking off all the decals, logos and unsightly DOT required reflectors, replacing them with reflective decals of mine. The handlebar setup was taken off her GS, since it will not be needed to fulfill all her desires in riding street and dirt any longer with the new kid in town. The stock bars had too much of a sweep and were a little low for standing up in the dirt for us, now it's just right.
The install of the gear on the CRF took a little cutting, trimming, cable re-routing and a little more cutting. Overall was pretty straightforward and on day 3 riding on some singletrack trail proved to be time well spent, protecting her hands and the levers in the rocks. We also have HDB mirrors on order, got to get rid of those big things Honda put on it, they were the first thing to take a hit when the bike was dropped and won't last long without breaking something while Nancy continues to improve her dirt riding skills.

There's a little more work to be done to get the CRF handling how I'd like, first off a Scott's steering damper. Talked to them on tuesday, they will have the CRF-L kit available before Xmas.
I also talked with my buddy at Bazzaz and am hoping to get the bike into them so they can develop a fuel control module for it real soon. We've had good experience with their module on other bikes and are looking forward to seeing what it can do for the CRF. Being able to switch maps on the fly with one for power and one for fuel economy will be sweet.

Fuel tank.
The stock range needs to be doubled for us, while it will get good milage I don't know what Honda was thinking with that little puny tank... like most manufactures I guess, hopefully there's an aftermarket tank out soon, until then 1.5 gallons in a MSR bag will have to do when we go get LOST far away from home. As long as she can go 200 miles to match my range, most of where we'll be riding will be covered.

Some kind of engine guard is also on the list, but below the things mentioned above. Then some D606's should complete the bike and have it ready for the Death Valley and Baja rides we'll be doing this winter.
So far she loves this bike with nothing but big smiles while riding it and I also have had some good fun on it too, it handles pretty darn good just as it is and looking forward to getting these few more things sorted to make it even better. Honda really got a lot of things just right with this bike.

Here's a few various photos of the new bike, I can elaborate on the install if anyone cares. Might have already been covered in this long thread I haven't read all of.

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:35 AM   #1050
Rjatr
Sideways Sid

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellsmx View Post
Hi guys, Just got myself a new CRF250L for trail riding in the winter here in the UK. Seem to be a popular bike around the world.
I have just fitted a pair of billet aluminium foot pegs onto it and a red/black gear lever. Great little trail bike and looking to get the fmf system for it soon to free up a bit more power.
Hi bellsmx, just picked mine up in the UK also, I am intending to enter some LDT's in the summer so am particularly interested in the exhaust/ airbox mods etc. Q4 looks good, trouble is,for the LDT's I think any exhaust would have to be road legal (less than 82DB's), sadly the Q4 is in the early 90's. I wonder if anyone on the thread can tell me if the UK model 250LD has the same emissions control as the ones in the states, as if not, this would obviously effect the use of any Power Commander type maps coming from there? Great bike, will definitely be doing some green laning as well.
Rjatr is offline   Reply With Quote