User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 10:02 AM   #31
C-Rad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
On the IN list!

OK so registration will go until May? I am in one way or another. Got to make a trip to PA to visit the folks for Christmas. My dad just bought a used KLR and might be coming also. So if I can hold off on registering till I get a confirmation from him then when I register I will just do it for both of us. Im assuming if we do the Tent camping we can wait a bit to register. No need for any bunk house reservations. Or if I just register he can do his later as he will be staying in my big ole tent. Really looking forward to this.
C-Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:48 PM   #32
The Toyman
Handy not Handsome

Oddometer: 727
There are not any cabins on site just rv hookups and tent camping. There are cabins offsite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Faster, Faster, Faster! Till the trill of speed overcomes the fear of death
The Toyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:46 AM   #33
jgas
Stoogely Adventurerer

Oddometer: 843
I had full intentions of making this last year but surgeries and obligations kept me away. Not to mention a problem with my bike, which is now fixed. Provided the next surgery doesn't interfere and my bike keeps going, I plan to make it in 2013.

Byrds is a perfect place for this event. I know the Byrds family a little, 2 of the Byrds kids/grandkids/whatever, rode the Ar. Harescramble series a few years ago, and they have a yearly Ar. Scramble there every year. I know the singletrack there fairly well and could lead a ride on that stuff if anyone wants. Depending on how you route the ride you could make it all on any bike KLR 650 sized or smaller with front/rear knobbies and lower gearing. Wouldn't be easy, but possible. The scramble at Byrds used to be pretty hard but they have toned it down in recent years so it is a bit tight in places but not difficult. Of course a big bike could make it but a smaller bike would be more practical. Byrds is kind of in the center of things in the Boston Mtns and the riding all around that area is fantastic, whether on dirt roads, pavement, or singletrack. The Byrds campground is huge and has hot showers! And indoor crappers, and I don't mean the blue ones that always have pee and poo-poo on the seats.

Speaking of pee- pee-poo-poo seats, how do people get poo-poo on a seat and not at least wipe it off? How do they get it on top of the pooper seat at all? One of the mysteries of the universe I suppose.

I also know a little of the singletrack at Mill Creek/White Rock Mtn which is very close by. Several years ago I rode the Fall Colors Tour in which we did a varied type ride which included twotrack at Mt. Magazine, some pavement, alot of dirt roads, and twotrack and singletrack at White Rock on the old enduro trails. Everyone seemed to enjoy the mix of the hard/easy terrain rather than staying on roads. The group I rode with were on smaller bikes, I think a guy on an XR 650 L had the biggest bike that year. I was on a KLR 650 but it quit running on the first day and I finished the ride on the trusty DRZ. I whished I had just ridden the DRZ from the start, it would have been much easier to push it across the deep creeks!

You ever try pushing a KLR 650 through deep swift running water? When it was 45 degrees? By the way, don't let a guy named Jim Devereaux pull you with his bike. My KLR would only do 85 mph after I geared it down, but Devro's DRZ would do at least 205 mph while pulling me on a 400 lb bike. Don't beleive me? I wouldn't have beleived it either if I hadn't been there, attached to a tow rope with a madman on a DRZ intent on killing me by scaring me to death. I was so terrified of death by dragging I didn't realize until he had pulled me about a hundred miles that all I had to do to slow him down was drag my brakes. Funny how the eminent threat of death makes you forget simple things like that your bike has brakes.

But I digest. Back to SLAP, I know a bunch of guys who know the White Rock Mtn singletrack very well, and could probably set up a guide for anyone who wants to do little trails on big bikes. I would of course stress to them that I would kill them slowly if they put us on any AA stuff. These days I have a hard time riding AA singletrack on a race bike, much less an Adv bike.

Would there be any interest if I went up there before hand and found a route from Byrds, through the Harescramble race trail, and to Oark, or has someone already volunteered for such a trip? The trip to Oark would be 95% twotrack and dirt roads after the 7 miles of race course. Again, I stress that the singletrack at Byrds can be done on pretty much any smaller bike, such as a KLR, BMW 650, and probably even on a bigger bike with a really good rider. I would guess that any bigger bike would just not be fun even if you did make it. A good rider on any smaller bike would have no trouble.

Who's bringing the moonshine? I think I could ride a Goldwing on singletrack with a shot of 'shine.Might not be able to ride in a straight line though.

I have a little enclosed trailer, I may bring a welder and tools just in case it's needed. I can't weld aluminum, don't even have the wire to do it, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to bring it anyway.

I can taste the corn likker now, boys and girls! Is it ok to say cornlikker on this website?
-DRZ 400, GasGas 275, Klein, zero cc.
jgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:29 AM   #34
JumpJet
Looking for Alpha

Oddometer: 1,054
+1 on the DRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgas View Post
I was on a KLR 650 but it quit running on the first day and I finished the ride on the trusty DRZ. I whished I had just ridden the DRZ from the start ...
1) Stop trying to save the world
2) Eat more Bacon
JumpJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #35
Aanarchy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 909
In, again. And nice job on the logo. But i wonder - are you sending a message? Should I plan on running mousse inserts?
Old 11-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #36
reddirtjoe
thinning the herd.

Oddometer: 1,709
N!!!!

Again!!!!
Old 11-25-2012, 05:36 PM   #37
Scribe
£Bob£

Oddometer: 6,430
In. Payment TK. But hell yes, in.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:50 PM   #38
4STAR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
IN from Iowa, DL1000
Old 11-26-2012, 05:10 AM   #39
jaydee1445
Footpeg Crash Tester

Oddometer: 3,846
Trying to get some of the Wankers from the Sandbox to make a Pilgrimage, they keep saying we need to come visit the goats.
Sounds like I'm going to get elected to bring the bikes out for some of the FF so they can fly in. Where is the closest airport? Anyone have a safe parking spot were I can leave a truck and 16 ft flatbed loaded with dual-sports while the ole-lady and I visit her brother in Bolivar MO on the Connie?

jaydee1445 screwed with this post 11-26-2012 at 05:21 AM
jaydee1445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:25 AM   #40
Scribe
£Bob£

Oddometer: 6,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee1445 View Post
Trying to get some of the Wankers from the Sandbox to make a Pilgrimage, they keep saying we need to come visit the goats.
Sounds like I'm going to get elected to bring the bikes out for some of the FF so they can fly in. Where is the closest airport? Anyone have a safe parking spot were I can leave a truck and 16 ft flatbed loaded with dual-sports while the ole-lady and I visit her brother in Bolivar MO on the Connie?
NWA regional airport, or perhaps Little Rock I guess though I've never used it. Might be cheaper to fly in there, though. You can live your shit in my driveway.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:40 AM   #41
jaydee1445
Footpeg Crash Tester

Oddometer: 3,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtFarmer View Post
T-shirt looks great, but after reading last year's ride reports I thought there would be helicopters and search & rescue trucks in the design.
Got a linky to said ride reports?
jaydee1445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #42
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,551
Made a site visit to Oark General store last week to pick up two Buttermilk pies for the holiday and met the new owner Brain. He was a real nice guy and I gave him the heads up about SLAP and he was excited to hear about the event and looking forward to the business.

BTW I highly recommend the pie
Old 11-26-2012, 05:29 PM   #43
DirtyDog OP
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee1445 View Post
Got a linky to said ride reports?
SLAP 2012
Old 11-27-2012, 07:15 AM   #44
JumpJet
Looking for Alpha