ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #646
mrgizmow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Kudos to you Ken cause you tried.. Many years ago I tried a couple of wet weather rides up their on my mt. bike. My experience was the same as yours, but at that time Ponderosa was still open. Never gave snow much thought. Wonder what it is like in the hills above Paskenta, likely the same. Wonder if I can get up to Jonesmeadows and down to Philbrook tomorrow. Have to see how inspired I am in the morning. Wish you had some pictures Ken. How was it trying to get that big 650 vertical again on that slippery mud? Gerry
mrgizmow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:29 AM   #647
ksobon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Anyone up for a ride in the next few days? (Fri, Sat & Sunday ?)

Let me know.

Ken
ksobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #648
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksobon View Post
Anyone up for a ride in the next few days? (Fri, Sat & Sunday ?)

Let me know.

Ken
Where are you thinking? I've got the itch. Maybe Hogsback or up past Paskenta to "the Slab"?

Matt
oobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:37 PM   #649
ksobon
Adventurer

The puddles past Cohasset are bad! It might need a few days to dry out. Pastkenta to the slab sounds good... (New for me). When were you thinking?
Old 11-23-2012, 12:45 PM   #650
ksobon
Adventurer

Saturday sounds good.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:45 PM   #651
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,553
Those puddles wiil most likely

be there for the rest of the winter up past Cohasett. A lot of them have go arounds but getting through them isn't that difficult. I may be going that way on Sunday. Want to go up and come down Hogsback, haven't been accross Pondarosa road between the Narrows area and the Hogsback.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:53 PM   #652
ksobon
Adventurer

I would be interested it giving hogsback a try on Sunday.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:55 PM   #653
mrgizmow
Gnarly Adventurer

It's been awhile, but I remember a number of sections of "the narrow" where a lot of 'talc' would build up. This time of year that could be real yuckie/slippery. Seems you could catch an entrance point to the Lassen Trail right around the site of the 'old transfer station' few miles beyond the Butte Meadows (Lomo) turnoff. That should be in pretty good shape and you could ride to 32/36 junction and then decide pavement direction.

For the skilled, robust rider, guess you could take any machine anywhere and still have fun. For me, fun no longer includes working 'hard' at staying upright. A few years ago I fitted some cable chains to the front and rear of my bike to 'help' keep me going in the muck and snow. Worked ok, but ended up seeming silly for someone my age traveling alone. Gerry

Old 11-23-2012, 05:04 PM   #654
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

If I have to strap a ski to the front of my bike, count me out! You realize that is kinda nutz Gerry....

I'll be up for what ever anybody else wants to do, I've yet to finish the Hogsback so that is something I'd like to accomplish. My bike will do 140miles with the supermoto set up so I should be good for 100+miles with the dirt tires. Pick a starting place and time and I'll tag along. Looks like the weather should be good!

Matt
Old 11-23-2012, 06:06 PM   #655
ksobon
Adventurer

The storm was a warm one/ so I don't think we have to worry about the snow. I only have about 130 mile range also. We can meet/ fill up in Chico at the Fliers station on Cohasset & Manzanita before we head up there.

What time?
Old 11-23-2012, 06:53 PM   #656
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

So this Sunday at 10:00 so it may be a little warmer, or do you want to start earlier? This will probably be a 4-6 hour ride...I'm really not sure how long of a loop this would be.
Maybe we can stop at the Lassen Steak House on the way back for a brewski and then I'll head back west to Corning.

Matt
Old 11-23-2012, 07:52 PM   #657
ksobon
Adventurer

That sounds good... Sunday 10am, Chico Fliers station on Cohasset & Manzanita. Who's in?

I think I'm going to ride / explore Oroville wildlife area tomorrow also if anyone is interested.

Let me know

Ken
Old 11-23-2012, 09:22 PM   #658
mrgizmow
Gnarly Adventurer

Matt, certainly didn't want to suggest that anyone (besides me) would be inclined to strap a ski to their front wheel. I did however make it a lot easier for the TW's 200cc engine to push the bike through much deeper snow than you saw in the picture. As well, the trimmed and centered skeg, allowed the 'ski' to deal reasonably well with mud and small rocks. The project certainly needed further refinement but it was pretty clear working harder to get yourself into a difficult situation was counter productive, at least in my mind.

You guys have fun on your ride and take some pictures. First 1/4 of the ride will be lots of slippery dirt and wet leaves so use care. Once you climb out of the first drainage I suspect travel will speed up some. Not sure what the top surface will be like, but then you will have a lot more room to move around. Your big bikes will be a lot more comfortable heading down Hogsback than my rig was with its 6" fork travel.

Gerry

mrgizmow screwed with this post 11-23-2012 at 09:59 PM
Old 11-23-2012, 10:22 PM   #659
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
I'm jealous. Taking Monday morning off (in the middle of like 20 something days straight) if anyone has the time to take off for a few hours. I'm game with anything, wouldn't mind some road riding, I could use the practice. Otherwise all dirt, I just need to get away. If you guys do go up Cohasset take some pics. I'd like to save a trip up there if its really ugly. Have fun guys.
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:41 AM   #660
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanhXeo View Post
I'm jealous. Taking Monday morning off (in the middle of like 20 something days straight) if anyone has the time to take off for a few hours. I'm game with anything, wouldn't mind some road riding, I could use the practice. Otherwise all dirt, I just need to get away. If you guys do go up Cohasset take some pics. I'd like to save a trip up there if its really ugly. Have fun guys.
Yea, isn't ag. fun. Last week we finished harvest, 60 days straight with one off. Talk about burned out! Looks like we may hit Paskenta today.