Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 11:47 AM   #1051
Wenty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Hows this bike ride on highways? I drive 30 miles to work each way just wondering what 60 mph feels like on this bike.

Thanks.
Wenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #1052
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,311
CRF throttle grip

LOST RIDER: Was the RH grip glued to the throttle sleeve?
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:54 PM   #1053
billfires
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
YYZ, thanks for the suggestion, I didn't know there was anything like that. Bill C
billfires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #1054
goondock
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenty View Post
Hows this bike ride on highways? I drive 30 miles to work each way just wondering what 60 mph feels like on this bike.

Thanks.
i drive about the same distance and 60 seems to be no problem at all. two thumbs up. not a rocket ship but fun and does the job.
goondock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:24 PM   #1055
Unclejimmy1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerillah View Post
Most comfortable motorcycle seat i've ever been on, highly recommended. Install took about 30 minutes with an electric powered stapler, not very hard but may need a buddy to help out.
Guerllah. Did you do the mod yourself ,,, I am interested in how you modified the seat,,,and what type cushion materiall did you use. I have been on a couple of 300 plus, mile trips on my bike and the seat needs some help... I am thinking about putting a smaller sprocket on the front shaft. My next purchase will be the bolt on spare fuel tank...any suggestions,and a windshield ,,,,,I have a dual range heat roll for my electrics. Very nice bike, will be selling my KLR 650. this spring. Uncle jimmy
Unclejimmy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #1056
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
LOST RIDER: Was the RH grip glued to the throttle sleeve?
No it is not glued on. I cut it off to find these nubs on here, nothing a dremel couldn't take care of.
Then the end needed to be cut off too.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:40 PM   #1057
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
No it is not glued on.
Excellent...should be no sweat getting some Heaterz heated grips on there...
Old 11-23-2012, 04:40 PM   #1058
Guerillah
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclejimmy1 View Post
Guerllah. Did you do the mod yourself ,,, I am interested in how you modified the seat,,,and what type cushion materiall did you use. I have been on a couple of 300 plus, mile trips on my bike and the seat needs some help... I am thinking about putting a smaller sprocket on the front shaft. My next purchase will be the bolt on spare fuel tank...any suggestions,and a windshield ,,,,,I have a dual range heat roll for my electrics. Very nice bike, will be selling my KLR 650. this spring. Uncle jimmy
You buy the complete seat (minus the plastic pan) from seatconcepts.com . You remove your stock seat, rip the stock cushion material off of the seat (its glued), then all you're left with is the plastic pan. The foam cushion from seatconcepts is molded to accept this plastic pan. You will use spray adhesive to bond the pan and cushion together. Once that is complete, you stretch the seat cover over the cushion/pan and begin to staple the perimeter all the while ensuring its tight/stretched. Good luck!
Guerillah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:48 PM   #1059
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Seat concepts

Copied from their FAQ page:
Q: What installation options are there?
A: We can install the foam and cover for you. You just need to send us your pan (you can send the whole seat also) and we will install the new foam and cover. This is an extra $20.00 fee, or you can install the foam and cover yourself. There are video clips on youtube on replacing seat covers and we plan to add a video soon. Another option is to take your seat and the new foam/cover to a local upholstery shop and have them install it for you.

I'm considering one of their seats for my KLR 650....$20 for install? Sure enough...let a pro do it...!!!!
Old 11-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #1060
bungie4
Frostback

Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Most comfortable motorcycle seat i've ever been on, highly recommended. Install took about 30 minutes with an electric powered stapler, not very hard but may need a buddy to help out.
I picked up an electric stapler for this job along with a box of 1/4" staples. No go joe. The stapler is strong enough to mash the hell out of the staple, but the staples themselves are to flimsy and don't penetrate the plastic seat pan enough. They just bend.

What kind of staples did you use exactly?

2013 FJR1300, 2004 FJR1300, 2013 CRF250L
I have a job, I explore, I follow every little whiff.
On/Offroad help when you need it - http://www.assistancelist.com
bungie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:08 PM   #1061
Guerillah
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungie4 View Post
I picked up an electric stapler for this job along with a box of 1/4" staples. No go joe. The stapler is strong enough to mash the hell out of the staple, but the staples themselves are to flimsy and don't penetrate the plastic seat pan enough. They just bend.

What kind of staples did you use exactly?
I went to my friends house to do the job since he had the tool, I just asked him and he said he has no idea what kind of staples we used - they were just what he had in his drawer, they were unboxed. We probably had about 25% of the staples fail to go through the first time - they would just bend and lay on top of the plastic. I suggest making sure you are shooting the staples parallel with the plastic, pushing down as hard as possible. If we weren't pushing down hard enough the staples would bend and not penetrate, just like you are experiencing. Sorry I can't find out the gauge we used!
Guerillah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:18 PM   #1062
CRFSoCal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Hey Lost Rider. Would you happen to be located in Socal? I was looking at your pics and it looks like you ride near cleghorn ridge trail and the high desert area. Maybe even Glendora Mountain Road. I am Just curious since the terrain looks really familiar
CRFSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:40 PM   #1063
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFSoCal View Post
Hey Lost Rider. Would you happen to be located in Socal? I was looking at your pics and it looks like you ride near cleghorn ridge trail and the high desert area. Maybe even Glendora Mountain Road. I am Just curious since the terrain looks really familiar
Yes I do, I live near Ojai. Those photos were on cherry creek rd and on the easy section of the Ortega Trail off of 33.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:04 PM   #1064
bungie4
Frostback

Oddometer: 396
Quote:
I suggest making sure you are shooting the staples parallel with the plastic, pushing down as hard as possible. If we weren't pushing down hard enough the staples would bend and not penetrate, just like you are experiencing. Sorry I can't find out the gauge we used!
No problem, thanks for the reply. I tried just about everything you suggested, sometimes it would look like they had gone all the way in, but you'd find they actually bent under the material. Very frustrating. I'll go hunting for something a little more stout this weekend.

2013 FJR1300, 2004 FJR1300, 2013 CRF250L
I have a job, I explore, I follow every little whiff.
On/Offroad help when you need it - http://www.assistancelist.com
bungie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:56 PM   #1065
CRFSoCal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Okay so I bent my stock bars and I am looking to upgrade from the stock 7/8s to 1 1/8 bars. Is there a clamp that converts to the 1 1/8 bars that is low and keeps the stock clamp width. I want to run the Highway dirt bike hand guards with the top clamp but it uses stock width patterns.
CRFSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote